Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Mar 31, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #454 of 4,765
Found 2 great reviews on the PAW Gold and AK240 - very thorough.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/reviews/lotoo-paw-gold-player-expert-review/

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/reviews/astellkern-ak240-expert-review/

They seem to prefer the Lotoo.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #456 of 4,765
I took the Paw out for another flight. This time with the MH334/BW. Think the sig is filling out very nicely. And it pushes the MH334 especially in terms of its bass impact and rumble. :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #461 of 4,765

So I don't get it, why is it a problem transferring an album of many tracks adding up to 5.6Gb? Unless you've combined the whole album into one continuous track for gapless play like I did.

I'm going to gather this is a ripped DSD from SACD. The entire album of tracks is in a single 5.6GB ISO file. I have the same kind on my PC played through Audirvana Plus which would extract the ISO into multiple tracks in real time in memory (on the disk it's left as a single ISO file still). I guess the Paw Gold would be doing the same thing, if it could handle a single ISO file in the first place.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #462 of 4,765

So I don't get it, why is it a problem transferring an album of many tracks adding up to 5.6Gb? Unless you've combined the whole album into one continuous track for gapless play like I did.

The File Allocation Table that Lotoo picked to to use, FAT32, was introduced in 1996. FAT32 has a file limit size of 4Gb, so 4Gb is largest file that can be stored on SD CARD used in the PAW Gold.There is no way around it. Lotoo would have had to get a commercial license from Microsoft if they wanted to use exFAT, which could deal with the larger file size. But FAT32 = free and exFAT = $$$
My guess is they wanted to keep the cost down is why went with FAT32.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #464 of 4,765
  Can't the ISO file be split into the separate songs?

Yes it could but efftee wanted to run album with GAPless playback, if alum is split into songs there is a small gap in between songs on the PAW Gold which does not work well for Classical or Dark Side of the Moon.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #465 of 4,765
  Yes it could but efftee wanted to run album with GAPless playback, if alum is split into songs there is a small gap in between songs on the PAW Gold which does not work well for Classical or Dark Side of the Moon.

That, I didn't know. I've split my ISO to individual DSF but never really checked to see if the Paw Gold would play gapless from DSF to DSF vs single ISO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back