Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Dec 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #16 of 4,765
Why we cannot find any videos of this DAP in action so we get an idea about the size,UI etc?
Is a shame that the makers don't join in.

You are definitely right. I don't understand why their PR is so limited, although they answered my feedback about firmware instantly. It seems big on pictures and Chinese forums. I was really surprised when i got it. Its size is similar with AK120. It is not a brick. It is hard to find dap, even any info.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #21 of 4,765

It's ok, it means 256g capacity like the 901, and possibly 512g if you have the dough

I find 128 GB to be the sweat spot for folder browsing. Anything higher makes it hard to navigate. It is just too much clicking.(256 GB is the max I tested)

What I like about Lotoo is that it supports embedded cue sheet. This allowed me to organize my files by using less folders. Saved me few less clicks, my thumb is this much happier.

The pricing of Lotoo PAW Gold suggests they are going after AK240. Feature wise it is not there, however based on the discussion I had with few other enthusiast who also have owned Ak240(and AK120 II) they believe in the niche market of high end stand alone DAP the users are concerned about sound and battery life and this thing is capable of acing the competition which is AK240.

My view is well I do not think the high end market is that niche, people are buying highly priced portable gears and I think we have reached a stage where people are willing to pay large sum of cash for a product that is not only sounds above average but also has an east to navigate UI. If you only produce the sound soon you will find people will choice very good sound and very good UI over an excellent sound and barebone UI.

I love my Lotoo PAW Gold and I have found pairing with my portable amps that can challenge my HUGO but I have kept my Calyx M simply because Calyx M offers an excellent UI with a very good Sound and there are times that I rather have the ease of navigate by cover art than trusting my mind. Yes I am the kind of person who buys music left and right without knowing the content and therefore I do not know all the contents on my SD cards.

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #22 of 4,765
Lotoo officially is introduced in Japan, it has made it to the land of high end portable audio.

https://twitter.com/eear_takuya/status/540821443869564928

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #24 of 4,765
How does it compare against AK240,please.
Any reviews in English or video about it?Thanks.

Greeting, I have not heard the AK240 but I know of three people who tried the Lotoo against AK240 and AK120 II. 

Two individuals used balance armature and agreed single ended Lotoo can edge over AK240(they like the tuning better) but the individual who used the dynamic driver based iem in balanced mod thought AK120II was substantially better in driving his dita truth which is a dynamic driver than PAW Gold. He also felt singled ended dita truth did not sound its best using PAW Gold which is also the same sentiment I share with him.

I believe Lotoo is able to drive the BA type IEM as good as they can sound but it is not the same case with dynamic drivers. My guess is that dynamic drivers need more current than voltage and PAW Gold has low current output.

Also many people found that running a dynamic driver based gears in balanced format improved alot on the sound over the entire spectrum compared to doing the same with BA type. This explains why those AK240 users who used BA to test the Lotoo could not really spot the different between balanced vs single ended and ultimately it came down to the whether they like the tuning. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #25 of 4,765
Xiaoqi from Lotoo contacted me about reviewing this, so I'll make at least an unboxing video once I receive one, with other DAPs on hand at least for a size comparison.

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #27 of 4,765
While I know it may be too much to ask for, i wonder if you are able to pair it with a Final Audio Design earphones, preferably a Lab 1. Would love to see its synergy with a FAD. Thank you.
Xiaoqi from Lotoo contacted me about reviewing this, so I'll make at least an unboxing video once I receive one, with other DAPs on hand at least for a size comparison.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #29 of 4,765
Sorry for the lack of update, I am doing my best to get a loaner unit for ak240. It is not easy but if all failed I am going to compare it against calyx m and chord Hugo.

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #30 of 4,765
The first review is out I hope the review included a more indepth testing against AK240. 

http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/410434065.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back