Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Jul 19, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #4,201 of 4,765
Sorry to read about your headphone jack issue. I hope you can fix it yourself as $340 (total costs) ain't cheap.
For what's it worth, you can still use the line out as a back up solution. But make sure you put the 'Lineout level switch' on first, to avoid your eardrums getting blown out at 100% volume.

Hi all, it seems that this answer kind of emerges at the right time unfortunately for me. I just had an incident with my LPG. I dropped it on the floor all the more casually as I was picking up my bag, I didn't see it was on the edge of it, and it dropped on some concrete floor. It didn't smack or explode, just dropped by about 40-50cm (1-2 feet?), end of the story. Or so I thought.
When I turned it on this morning for my daily commute, it didn't produce any sound. At first, I thought I switched the level to 0. Nope. Then I thought the earphone wasn't properly plugged. Nope. Turned out what I originally thought was just a small drop (no visual consequence of whatsoever) had cause a much bigger trouble: the headphone out is now loose. Like when I plug the earphone jack, it goes a bit deeper so that it's impossible to fully plug the earphone jack. Here's what it looks like:
LPG_broken jack.jpg
The headphone out doesn't stick any more to the body of the LPG, it is a bit recessed and won't take in fully the earphone jack as it is now a bit loose.

Has anyone had this issue before?
As I read the quoted post, I'm thinking using, at least temporarily, to use the line out as the headphone out since it does have level control anyway. Will this be hazardous for my earphones (or my ears? but I'm already on level linout switch aparently)? And more importantly, do I get the full LPG sound experience this way?
Moving on to the solving of the matter, do you have any recommendation? I tried opening the back of the LPG, but all there is is the (monstrous) battery. The rest is hidden by it, and I am not yet comfortable taking it out to check what's behind it since it is stuck or glued.
@ruthieandjohn: did you ask Lotoo directly to get the picture of the bareboard? Would it be possible to share it?
I consider contacting my local dealer too (I'm in France), but I fear this will get to be sent to Lotoo and out of warranty since I dropped it. I am also thinking of getting in touch with some electronic repair store.
Thank you all for reading and anything useful that you could write, didn't see this coming...

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #4,202 of 4,765
Hi all, it seems that this answer kind of emerges at the right time unfortunately for me. I just had an incident with my LPG. I dropped it on the floor all the more casually as I was picking up my bag, I didn't see it was on the edge of it, and it dropped on some concrete floor. It didn't smack or explode, just dropped by about 40-50cm (1-2 feet?), end of the story. Or so I thought.
When I turned it on this morning for my daily commute, it didn't produce any sound. At first, I thought I switched the level to 0. Nope. Then I thought the earphone wasn't properly plugged. Nope. Turned out what I originally thought was just a small drop (no visual consequence of whatsoever) had cause a much bigger trouble: the headphone out is now loose. Like when I plug the earphone jack, it goes a bit deeper so that it's impossible to fully plug the earphone jack. Here's what it looks like:

The headphone out doesn't stick any more to the body of the LPG, it is a bit recessed and won't take in fully the earphone jack as it is now a bit loose.

Has anyone had this issue before?
As I read the quoted post, I'm thinking using, at least temporarily, to use the line out as the headphone out since it does have level control anyway. Will this be hazardous for my earphones (or my ears? but I'm already on level linout switch aparently)? And more importantly, do I get the full LPG sound experience this way?
Moving on to the solving of the matter, do you have any recommendation? I tried opening the back of the LPG, but all there is is the (monstrous) battery. The rest is hidden by it, and I am not yet comfortable taking it out to check what's behind it since it is stuck or glued.
@ruthieandjohn: did you ask Lotoo directly to get the picture of the bareboard? Would it be possible to share it?
I consider contacting my local dealer too (I'm in France), but I fear this will get to be sent to Lotoo and out of warranty since I dropped it. I am also thinking of getting in touch with some electronic repair store.
Thank you all for reading and anything useful that you could write, didn't see this coming...

- Hmmm, it seems like the headphone socket has broken off from the PCB. If it has just come off the PCB, any local electronic service center should be able to solder it back up to the PCB. But if the PCD itself has broken, which I highly doubt, then you may need to send it to Lotoo.

- LPG is fairly easy to disassemble beyond the back plate. The battery connects to the body through a ribbon cable. Once you dislodge the ribbon cable, you can take the battery out. Then if you look at the top of the device from the inside, you will see 2 screws. Taking these screws off will release the top part. This would reveal what happened to the HO port.

- You will get the same sound quality on LO. As for using earphones on LO, most IEMs are quite sensitive, and they are probably going to be loo loud even on 1 click or 2 clicks on the volume. But the biggest trouble you will have is, the lack of headroom for volume adjustment. You probably won't be able to go to 3 or 4 clicks as it will just be too loud.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #4,203 of 4,765
@TheDecline01 , I wrote Lotoo about the intermittent jack problem, indicated that I the capability to solder, and asked whether I needed to send the LPG back to them or if I could repair it.

They said I could repair it and volunteered this picture as a guide.
E0B07CC0-5917-42F0-A616-5CFD043B66C3.jpeg

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #4,204 of 4,765
ok, thank you both for your valuable answers. I may try going beyond the battery based on your instructions and picture.

As for the line out, I was fearing it to be too loud, as it is, I have some Spiralear SE5 and they're not to sensitive, so I can get comfortable volume and control with them.

At least, I can still use my LPG! Thanks again

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #4,205 of 4,765
Ok, so I opened it up, turns out the HO has broken off
The HO, unsoldered:
LPG_HO.jpg
And the inside of the LPG:
LPG_inside.jpg
Can I get away with this with some strong glue or do I have to solder it back?

Anyway, I'm pretty bumped by this. I didn't think a drop could unsolder the HO... I guess it had the perfect angle and the floor had the perfect hardness.

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #4,206 of 4,765
If it’s just the solder that has come off, you should be able to solder it back. But if the pin is broken, you’d want to buy another 3.5mm jack and solder it. Local electronic store should be able to do it I think. Btw, looks like one of the capacitors is cracked as well.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #4,207 of 4,765
Ok, so I opened it up, turns out the HO has broken off
The HO, unsoldered:

And the inside of the LPG:

Can I get away with this with some strong glue or do I have to solder it back?

Anyway, I'm pretty bumped by this. I didn't think a drop could unsolder the HO... I guess it had the perfect angle and the floor had the perfect hardness.
Looks like one of your capacitors is also damaged and should be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back