Introducing hip dac 3! The Legacy Continues!
Oct 12, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #46 of 219
why do so many people prefer MQA? I have tried it, and honestly, don’t care about it at all. I rather have a 44k good recording, the mastering is way more important
I don’t understand why you would not buy a DAC because it supports MQA. If you don’t use it just don’t use it. My car supports speeds over 130 mph but I never go this fast. So don’t buy the car and only buy one that goes 80 mph? If you like the features of a DAC but don’t use MQA, so what? My Fiio Q3 and hip dac 3 both support MQA. Will I ever use it, I don’t think so but for there price and features I think for the money they are the best DAC’s you can buy.

Oct 12, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #47 of 219
I don’t understand why you would not buy a DAC because it supports MQA. If you don’t use it just don’t use it. My car supports speeds over 130 mph but I never go this fast. So don’t buy the car and only buy one that goes 80 mph? If you like the features of a DAC but don’t use MQA, so what? My Fiio Q3 and hip dac 3 both support MQA. Will I ever use it, I don’t think so but for there price and features I think for the money they are the best DAC’s you can buy.
I don’t mind or care. It is more I would buy a dac, but not because it specific has to support MQA or not, I don’t care about mqa altogether.

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #48 of 219
I don’t mind or care. It is more I would buy a dac, but not because it specific has to support MQA or not, I don’t care about mqa altogether.
Aahh…ok… but if you like a DAC but it also supports MQA you would still buy it? I don’t care about MQA either. Mostley because you need to have the most expensive TIDAL subscription. Currently I use Apple music (have a 3 month subscription for 12,00 euro but when that ends I will not extend it) that has Dolby Atmos but I almost never use that. Also I use Deezer which has flac but not in a really high bitrate but I think I will keep it and I have YouTube music which has a very low sound quality but I sometimes I like to watch music video’s. But to be honest if Apple had MQA I would probably keep Apple and not Deezer. I know MQA is snake oil but it can’t be that bad, can it? Like compared to Deezer’s 1400kbps flac it probably will sound better, will it?

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #49 of 219
I refuse to pay for a farce that does not do a damn thing. I refuse to fund that idiot Blob Stewfart and now that MQA has begun its death rattle, I can not begin to fathom why any one would bother with the lie that is MQA. So...I refuse to buy MQA crap. You buy it. You tell your self that the unfolding is glorious or what ever fAd Copy you may care to use.

I buy a DAC for its ability to decode and its looks. That is it. Unless there is something dreadfully crappy about a DAC it is going to decode the bits just fine. So, I look to the physical aspect of the device. Does it look good to me? This one does and it would have matched well with both of my Echobox Explorers. Alas that sheeple at this company decided to go ahead and still pay extra for a useless "feature". Yeah, I gave MQA a go several years back and it does NOTHING except cost the buyer of equipment marketed with its initials. Ridiculous. Oh it MQA went belly up until some idiot company decided they wanted to try their hand at foisting a farce on us.

frAudiophiles are disgustingly, notoriously, hilariously ego driven. Not saying you are but MQA is fodder for the frAudians. No thanks!

Oct 20, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #50 of 219
My hip dac 3 arrived.... it replaces BTR7 of fiio as my on the go, but I will also use my go blu as a backup. I end up getting ifi stuff because I have become to like its sound and ability tweak the bass. bot my go blu and hip dac 3 are driven each by a Shanling M0 Pro. How do I carry the hip dac 3? I am a woman and stick it into my bra -- sorry guys you yave to think of another solution. one issue, the color.. I loved the blue one. this is military green for our dear male soldiers to enjoy best possible sound during combat.
ifi.jpg
bh.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #51 of 219
My hip dac 3 arrived.... it replaces BTR7 of fiio as my on the go, but I will also use my go blu as a backup. I end up getting ifi stuff because I have become to like its sound and ability tweak the bass. bot my go blu and hip dac 3 are driven each by a Shanling M0 Pro. How do I carry the hip dac 3? I am a woman and stick it into my bra -- sorry guys you yave to think of another solution. one issue, the color.. I loved the blue one. this is military green for our dear male soldiers....
ifi.jpgbh.jpg
Watch out it doesn’t overheat 😬

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #52 of 219
I refuse to pay for a farce that does not do a damn thing. I refuse to fund that idiot Blob Stewfart and now that MQA has begun its death rattle, I can not begin to fathom why any one would bother with the lie that is MQA. So...I refuse to buy MQA crap. You buy it. You tell your self that the unfolding is glorious or what ever fAd Copy you may care to use.

I buy a DAC for its ability to decode and its looks. That is it. Unless there is something dreadfully crappy about a DAC it is going to decode the bits just fine. So, I look to the physical aspect of the device. Does it look good to me? This one does and it would have matched well with both of my Echobox Explorers. Alas that sheeple at this company decided to go ahead and still pay extra for a useless "feature". Yeah, I gave MQA a go several years back and it does NOTHING except cost the buyer of equipment marketed with its initials. Ridiculous. Oh it MQA went belly up until some idiot company decided they wanted to try their hand at foisting a farce on us.

frAudiophiles are disgustingly, notoriously, hilariously ego driven. Not saying you are but MQA is fodder for the frAudians. No thanks!

well, why I want MQA is for one sole reason only because most of my downloaded files from Tidal are decoded in MQA that sound crap on non MQA DACs

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #53 of 219
My hip dac 3 arrived.... it replaces BTR7 of fiio as my on the go, but I will also use my go blu as a backup. I end up getting ifi stuff because I have become to like its sound and ability tweak the bass. bot my go blu and hip dac 3 are driven each by a Shanling M0 Pro. How do I carry the hip dac 3? I am a woman and stick it into my bra -- sorry guys you yave to think of another solution. one issue, the color.. I loved the blue one. this is military green for our dear male soldiers to enjoy best possible sound during combat.
ifi.jpgbh.jpg
How does it sound compared too for a example a xdsd gryphon? Does come more close? Than the hip dac2?

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #54 of 219
How does it sound compared too for a example a xdsd gryphon? Does come more close? Than the hip dac2I

I have tried gryphon but it was not practical as it is too bulky and heavy. This hipdac 3 is well enough for my about 60 ohm heaadphones that I use on the go and I dont thik gryophon offers audible improvement in sound for me to notice when you are out there while you move around. Its price is too high. At home I enjoy Audeze LCD-5 plugged into ifi Pro iCAN Signature with SMSL D1SE DAC. Hip dac 3 is a clear step up from both go blu and BTR7 wrt sound performance.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #56 of 219
It's pretty fun so far, I like it. Bought because I wanted an improvement from the Audioquest Dragonfly black. Sabre DACs are really bad and it just got old (sharp piercing angles no good). Bought this specifically for the Burr Brown chip which they had in the iPod I had in the day, and an old CD player. I don't know if bit perfect is marketing but it does have a nice, warm, accessible analogue-like sound that lets the music breathe a lot more than my Dragonfly.

Not sure if I like power matching or extra bass yet. Color is showing white off Amazon music (88-384hz). Using it with Drop Pandas which I've taken care of (no bluetooth for me anymore, I'll wait for lossless). Will use it on walks. Second album in now and Brittney is good. I just volume match. I guess you strap it to your phone with rubber bands? That's neat. I'm glad it had a lightning to USB-C connector in the box.

From Sennheiser bluetooth phones to Pandas, to now this setup. Hopefully I've solved outside audio. Got to be careful about rain though, not sure how water resistant this thing is. My Dragonfly survived a full-on rainstorm, and so did the Pandas.

Guess I'll only use this one on for-sure dry days.

So far everything I've played is bangin', unlike my Dragonfly which I just had to bear with. Probably will run in with use and temp normalization a tad and I'll get used to the sound. I'm excited! Outside has been the hardest riddle. Feels nice in hand and quality. Slightly worried about weight, we'll see if I'm saggin'. That's the only drawback I'm foreseeing right now.

First Hip Dac and very impressed, really amused by the happy face sticker on the inner covering, very zen. I don't think the analogue volume control will slide on its own guarded by the phone it's stuck to but we'll see.

So far living up to product vision. Sorry no comment on IEMs, don't own any.

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #57 of 219
It's pretty fun so far, I like it. Bought because I wanted an improvement from the Audioquest Dragonfly black. Sabre DACs are really bad and it just got old (sharp piercing angles no good). Bought this specifically for the Burr Brown chip which they had in the iPod I had in the day, and an old CD player. I don't know if bit perfect is marketing but it does have a nice, warm, accessible analogue-like sound that lets the music breathe a lot more than my Dragonfly.

Not sure if I like power matching or extra bass yet. Color is showing white off Amazon music (88-384hz). Using it with Drop Pandas which I've taken care of (no bluetooth for me anymore, I'll wait for lossless). Will use it on walks. Second album in now and Brittney is good. I just volume match. I guess you strap it to your phone with rubber bands? That's neat. I'm glad it had a lightning to USB-C connector in the box.

From Sennheiser bluetooth phones to Pandas, to now this setup. Hopefully I've solved outside audio. Got to be careful about rain though, not sure how water resistant this thing is. My Dragonfly survived a full-on rainstorm, and so did the Pandas.

So far everything I've played is bangin', unlike my Dragonfly which I just had to bear with. Probably will run in with use and temp normalization a tad and I'll get used to the sound. I'm excited! Outside has been the hardest riddle. Feels nice in hand and quality. Slightly worried about weight, we'll see if I'm saggin'. That's the only drawback I'm foreseeing right now.

First Hip Dac and very impressed, really amused by the happy face sticker on the inner covering, very zen. I don't think the analogue volume control will slide on its own guarded by the phone it's stuck to but we'll see.

Sounds good. I understand what you mean with the ess sabre sound. They say it does not matter, but it does. Some implementations are better than the other, but still the same sound.

I own the xdsd gryphon, sounds great but not for sensitive IEm’s (hate IEMatch). And for my desktop a chord dac. Tried several 9038pro dacs, in the end did not like them.

How is the noise level in the hip dac 3?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #58 of 219

I can agree with you on sabre.... I moved from BTR7 to HipDac 3 becase I was not fully satisfied with BTR7 and some other sabre solutions I have used. I dont know if it is the DAC chip itself or the implementation of it and the amps that makes such a difference. So far I really love my hipo dac and it will prob be the last one I get in my life.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #59 of 219

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts here! We appreciate it!

Enjoy, Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 25, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #60 of 219
Does anybody know if there is a case or strap kit to keep the hip dac and iphone together like the strap kit that comes with the Fiio Q3 MQA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back