Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 17, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #3,106 of 3,158
Hi, having bought the CL2s I wrote a post early this year about how much I enjoyed my first more high end earphones. I also bought a FiiO x7 first gen from ebay, with the AM2A amp included. I read about the AM2A softening high frequencies, and so thought this would be perfect for the CL2S, and to be honest it made a big difference. That together with, I suppose, the hours I've added to them has really softened the high treble. The FiiO itself also made a big difference. The sound "moved closer together" while still remaining distinct and detailed. I guess you could say it filled up more. I also think the sound softened without losing clarity. Of course other things also, but especially the sound filling up the soundstage more was what I really experienced. I was listening straight from my galaxy tablet previously, so perhaps no wonder that the upgrade became so apparent.

However, I'd like to get a cable suited for the CL2s, and while a copper type was recommended I really don't have a clue as to which ones I should be looking at. I don't know anything about this kind of subject with highend sound. Previous to this I had a pair of overear Momentums and the T10s. Would someone mind suggesting a cable to buy? I read in an earlier post about a Leonidas cable, but that is way too expensive for me. I'm thinking around 150usd or so, but of course I could go up some... I also read about the FiiO LC-BT2, and it sounds interesting. Would it perhaps be worth it to get one of these instead? The extra batterylife would be awesome, and listening wireless is something I've really come to enjoy. But if a cable really is much more worth it in terms of soundquality, then I will prioritize that.
a wired connection will always be better than wireless.
This IEM scales extremely well, so a copper cable is a worthwhile investment.
Look at cables here https://www.mtmtaudio.com/

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #3,107 of 3,158
Thanks to both of you for input. I will take a look at the cables on that webpage. Maybe you are right about a cable not affecting sound so much Spie1904, but since I never tried I will give it a go anyway. I might just get both a cable and the FiiO. I read something about up to 25 hours of batterytime.

Will be buying these I think. Sounds good that "The 2DualOFC can be a good sibilance killer. It suppresses the harshness and pierces from the highs." since I still find this to be a nuisance sometimes.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oeaudio-2dualofc.24035/reviews
https://www.cma.audio/en/detail/index/sArticle/2094

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #3,108 of 3,158
Looks like CL2 ads are still running on head-fi..... the ad leads to 404 error page...... someone should let RHA know lol.... :deadhorse:

1606004050453.png

Nov 21, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #3,109 of 3,158
Looks like CL2 ads are still running on head-fi..... the ad leads to 404 error page...... someone should let RHA know lol.... :deadhorse:

CL3 incoming?

Nov 21, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #3,110 of 3,158
Nov 22, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #3,111 of 3,158
CL3 with a correct DF curve will be obviously better than CL2. The planar in CL2 is superb

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #3,112 of 3,158
CL3 with a correct DF curve will be obviously better than CL2. The planar in CL2 is superb
I'm more interested in how it sounds, honestly.

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #3,113 of 3,158
I heard whispers the CL3 is immanent...

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #3,114 of 3,158
I heard whispers the CL3 is immanent...
Nice! If this is true, it will be interesting to see what driver type they go with. CL1 was not a planar.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #3,115 of 3,158
Anyone here try the Tin Audio P2 Planar?

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #3,116 of 3,158
Anyone here try the Tin Audio P2 Planar?

I have them and used to have CL2s. Anything you'd like to know? Can't do A/B but can try from memory.

Dec 6, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #3,117 of 3,158
I have them and used to have CL2s. Anything you'd like to know? Can't do A/B but can try from memory.
Just how do you like P2? Just ordered them.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3,118 of 3,158
Just how do you like P2? Just ordered them.

Love them, I think they are fantastic IF you do something about the radiant treble. Otherwise it might be a little much but YMMV. I replaced the foam inside for one with more quantity but a looser texture. Something that also worked for LZ A6. Now they are perfect. Love the bass, even the slightly recessed mids and that sweet planar speed.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,119 of 3,158
Love them, I think they are fantastic IF you do something about the radiant treble. Otherwise it might be a little much but YMMV. I replaced the foam inside for one with more quantity but a looser texture. Something that also worked for LZ A6. Now they are perfect. Love the bass, even the slightly recessed mids and that sweet planar speed.
Yeah I saw that 'foam mod'... Pray, tell: Where does one find foam of the right consistency?....

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #3,120 of 3,158
Yeah I saw that 'foam mod'... Pray, tell: Where does one find foam of the right consistency?....

Experiment, should you need to. Many IEM boxes are lined with this material, I cut mine up from Mangird Teas :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back