Introducing Audio-Technica's ATH-W1000X
Mar 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #121 of 292
Its hard to claim that a headphone is neutral, what is your reference point?

Ive heard most headphones being refered to as neutral at some point, a lot of these headphones I heard or owned. They all sound different, if they truely sounded "neutral" they should all have similar tonality and only be distinguisable by detail retrieval.

By house sound, I can only make comment that all the AT headphones that I've tried, sound like AT headphones, thats not to say they sound the same, but there is just something very... "Japanese" about them.

Nice headphones, but unfortunately not for me, perhaps I will try owning a pair long term to see how I feel about them then.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #124 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henerenry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By house sound, I can only make comment that all the AT headphones that I've tried, sound like AT headphones, thats not to say they sound the same, but there is just something very... "Japanese" about them.

What japanese sounds like? Suits my taste though, I listen to lots of japanese music anyway. =D

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #125 of 292
Just wondering, because I loved my W1000s that were stolen when I took them out drinking one night in Yokohama, how do these compare on female vocals to the W1000?

I've recently purchased Grado 325's and they sound absolutely horrible in comparison to my W1000's with a compressed sound where everything is blended in together and no soundstage at all, but they do impress with guitar instrumentals from my Sony ns900v SACD player but I much prefer the AT sound from my W1000's. In short, I'd like to know whether I should get another set of W1000's or the new X model which to me isn't as attractive as what I previously owned.

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #126 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What japanese sounds like? Suits my taste though, I listen to lots of japanese music anyway. =D

If some Grado models have something like a classic American rock sound, then some AT models would have something like a J-pop sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolhahaha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In short, I'd like to know whether I should get another set of W1000's or the new X model which to me isn't as attractive as what I previously owned.

I should have one in a few days. I won't be able to tell you how it compares to the W1000, but I will be able to say how it compares to the W2002, W11JPN, W5000, and W100. If it's true that the W5000 is essentially an improved W1000, maybe my impressions will be helpful to you.

If sokolov91's pictures are any indication, I think the X will be pretty damned attractive, with the warmer color of the W100, but glossy.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #127 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have one in a few days. I won't be able to tell you how it compares to the W1000, but I will be able to say how it compares to the W2002, W11JPN, W5000, and W100. If it's true that the W5000 is essentially an improved W1000, maybe my impressions will be helpful to you.

If sokolov91's pictures are any indication, I think the X will be pretty damned attractive, with the warmer color of the W100, but glossy.

Hey, thanks. I am looking forward to it. Hopefully I don't lose patience and buy one in the next couple days, lol.

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #128 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolhahaha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks. I am looking forward to it. Hopefully I don't lose patience and buy one in the next couple days, lol.

Well, if you do get impatient, remember fit. That's the one thing I am apprehensive about re: the W1000X. If it's as loose as the W5000 was on my (biggish) head, I will be sorely displeased with AT. They're headphones, after all, not ear speakers. Fingers crossed.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #129 of 292
Mine are here. $570 shipped from PriceJapan. Arrived in two days. Amazing service from those guys.

They sound terrific right out of the box. I wouldn't mind if the treble smoothed out just a little after burn-in, but if they didn't change one bit I'd be fine. They sound really, really good, and much better than I recall the original W1000 sounding (which I hated and sold in less than a week).

They are nice looking, and see pretty comfortable. Definitely keepers. For under $600, attractively priced. I am glad I sold the L3000's and got these - I think these sound MUCH better.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #130 of 292
Mine should arrive any day now, I cannot wait to try them out.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #131 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine are here. $570 shipped from PriceJapan. Arrived in two days. Amazing service from those guys.

They sound terrific right out of the box. I wouldn't mind if the treble smoothed out just a little after burn-in, but if they didn't change one bit I'd be fine. They sound really, really good, and much better than I recall the original W1000 sounding (which I hated and sold in less than a week).

They are nice looking, and see pretty comfortable. Definitely keepers. For under $600, attractively priced. I am glad I sold the L3000's and got these - I think these sound MUCH better.

Can you offer some info on their general character? How do they sound in relation to something like a D5000/7000, DT880, or something else that might be familiar to the masses?

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #132 of 292
Quote:

Woah that's quite a heck of an endorsement.
bigsmile_face.gif
I always thought this was an under-appreciated model, probably due to its limited availability in the US. *off to get a pair before they become FOTM*

Edit - Skylab, what are you running the W1000X's out of? Any preferences?

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #133 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you offer some info on their general character? How do they sound in relation to something like a D5000/7000, DT880, or something else that might be familiar to the masses?

I will after I get a little more time with them, and after the have broken in more. They definitely sound very good - just HOW good, relative to others, will take me more time. Definitely brighter than the DX1000, and less bass than it or the D7000, but very nice overall presentation with just as bit of a treble emphasis at present - but again, need to see what break in yields.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woah that's quite a heck of an endorsement.
bigsmile_face.gif
I always thought this was an under-appreciated model, probably due to its limited availability in the US. *off to get a pair before they become FOTM*

Edit - Skylab, what are you running the W1000X's out of? Any preferences?

Using them from the Leben CS300X, so they are getting the very best that they can
biggrin.gif

And I should clarify my comment on the L3000 - I thought the L3000 did NOT sound very good. So my saying the W1000X sound better have to be viewed in that context.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #134 of 292
Quote:

And I should clarify my comment on the L3000 - I thought the L3000 did NOT sound very good. So my saying the W1000X sound better have to be viewed in that context.

What did you not like about them?

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #135 of 292
The L3000 had a rolled off treble and a oddly pronounced midrange. They were even more colored than the JVC DX1000, and I prefer the DX1000 flavor of coloration by a wide margin. The L3000 also have this reputation for being bass monsters, but they just have a bit of mid-upper bass emphasis - the D7000, DX1000, and Edition 8 all have more, and much BETTER bass than the L3000.

The L3000 is perhaps the most over-rated headphone I have ever heard. I had heard them at meets and was intrigued, and when I finally decided to bite the bullet and cough up the dough for a pair, I knew almost right away after getting them I had made a mistake. I held onto them for several weeks hoping I would change my mind, but didn't. Fortunately they are easy to sell. But they were not for me, that's for sure. Obviously, this is just my personal opinion.

The W1000X, on the other hand, so far sound really good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back