Introducing Audio-Technica's ATH-W1000X
Apr 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #151 of 292
I took some pics this morning
biggrin.gif

DSC02177.jpg

DSC02175.jpg

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #152 of 292
DAMN, what a nice grain in the wood. Much more contrast than in my pair... Well, one can´t have it all I suppose. Also the price of being unique and not 100% identical mass-production item.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #153 of 292
If you look carefully in this shot, you can see my reflection in the headphone:

DSC02176.jpg

Shows how glossy they are!

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #154 of 292
^ Wowsers. Forgot the Leben had wood trim. That is a nice freaking match.

Edit: and dark gray metallic trim! It's like they were made for each other.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #155 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look carefully in this shot, you can see my reflection in the headphone:

Shows how glossy they are!

Indeed... xD I had to make some serious preparations to prevent distracting reflections in the final pics I took.
biggrin.gif
The gloss sort of takes some away from less grainy woods, though the gloss itself looks nice on the other hand...

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #156 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Wowsers. Forgot the Leben had wood trim. That is a nice freaking match.

Edit: and dark gray metallic trim! It's like they were made for each other.

Thanks - I think so too. And they sound terrific together too, fortunately
biggrin.gif
True Made in Japan goodness!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed... xD I had to make some serious preparations to prevent distracting reflections in the final pics I took.
biggrin.gif
The gloss sort of takes some away from less grainy woods, though the gloss itself looks nice on the other hand...

I'm not such a good photographer, unfortunately...

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #157 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks - I think so too. And they sound terrific together too, fortunately
biggrin.gif
True Made in Japan goodness!

I'm not such a good photographer, unfortunately...

Agreed on the Made in Japan goodness.
biggrin.gif
On the headphone part at least, as I yet don´t have my hands on a japanese amp.

Taking pretty nice photos takes only the right settings on the camera and some thinking...

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #158 of 292
Allow me to throw in a quick L3000 and AT thought: Those ATs with the doughnut pads, you need to roll up a bit of cloth and stuff it under the pads to fix the congested mids and highs, then they sound good. The new ATs fix that, which is probably why the treble on them is much improved, however the mids are so far forward that they tend to sound very unbalanced to me.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #159 of 292
Anybody tried these with a Luxman P1 yet?

Another question, theres an ebay seller selling them for 505 bucks, is this legit? I'd assume it is, he's in Tokyo and has perfect rep. Of course he could really be in Hong Kong with tokyo listed as a fake address.

I haven't heard of any fakes of these high end AT's but you never know. Last time I went to Hong Kong they had just about anything made fake and cheap.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #160 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolhahaha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard of any fakes of these high end AT's but you never know. Last time I went to Hong Kong they had just about anything made fake and cheap.

You must know something I don't, because all I see in Hong Kong are real are very pricey W1000X.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #161 of 292
Have you listened to them in the store? Do they have the warranty card in the box to send in to AT?

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #162 of 292
Quote:

Anybody tried these with a Luxman P1 yet?

Not those, but other ATs. The question is more, are there any headphones that don't sound good out of the P-1?
atsmile.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #163 of 292
Quote:

Have you listened to them in the store? Do they have the warranty card in the box to send in to AT?

The retail stores in Hong Kong are reliable. I've dealt with them many times, sent in warranties for Senns, Denons etc... My ESW10JPN's warranty don't have to be sent in, but it's from AT Greater China and, yes they sound heck good. Caution is warranted on ebay, though, since a lot of people from the mainland do business through Hong Kong, in good faith and bad faith. But freaking out because some guy in Tokyo might be from HK or somewhere else instead? Really?

But your casual potshot at the Hong Kong retail scene wasn't really accurate mate. It's not like there's stores that brazenly display lines of faked AT's, it's more like if you go to a sketchy store in the belly of a computer mall you might find a faked MDR888 or ESW9. Don't rely on my advice, but I don't see any cause for concern with this model yet.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #164 of 292
So how is the isolation on these babys? mediocre as expected?

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #165 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caution is warranted on ebay, though, since a lot of people from the mainland do business through Hong Kong, in good faith and bad faith. But freaking out because some guy in Tokyo might be from HK or somewhere else instead? Really?

Well considering the price is that much lower than what I found in Tokyo a month ago. Why wouldn't you wonder. 500 bucks compared to 700-800 for the same item. Are they really discounting them that much already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back