Introducing Audio-Technica's ATH-W1000X
Mar 12, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #106 of 292
I would love to listen to these and compare them to the D7000.

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #107 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mod was on the A1000X not the W. Whats the harm in trying, it is the most simple mod I know. You just remove the screws, add four washers and reassemble. You don't add or remove anything to any other part of the headphone like the cups, drivers or ports. Don't like the sound, take the washers out.

I apologize if my post offended you. I've read that and in theory, it seems to be some sort of resonance dampener. I just don't see how it would work with the W1000X though since it already has plenty of bass.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #108 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I apologize if my post offended you. I've read that and in theory, it seems to be some sort of resonance dampener. I just don't see how it would work with the W1000X though since it already has plenty of bass.

Once again he didn´t suggest me to mod the w1000x but the w1000 (no X) as a reply for my question about the w1000x having more bass than the old model!

You kind of answered my question, because nobody would claim the w1000 (old model) had "....plenty of bass!"
L3000.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #109 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No offense at all, just throwing ideas out just in case it may help someone.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #110 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to listen to these and compare them to the D7000.

x2

Currawong said it has BETTER bass than D7000
eek.gif

No sucky recessed mid.

More treble over W5000 (I don't have W5000 but more treble sounds good to me if bass is at Denon level)

Jaw dropping beauty.

Well, I want that can
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #111 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2
eek.gif

No sucky recessed mid.

More treble over W5000 (I don't have W5000 but more treble sounds good to me if bass is at Denon level)

Hold on, are you suggesting W1000X is better than W5000?

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #112 of 292
The W5000 doesn't have bass, at least not a lot of it. I regrettably didn't have them to compare with at the time and was going on memory, so don't take this as gospel, but when I tried the W1000X I thought it was the best strong bass I'd heard since I had the chance to borrow L3000s. This was out of the AT amp, HA2002 IIRC.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #113 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by choka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold on, are you suggesting W1000X is better than W5000?

Nope
eek.gif
I don't have neither of them. I just sum up what people said about W1000X and based on that the W1000X is very tempting, for me
atsmile.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #114 of 292
I heard the w1000x vs the w1000 vs the w5000 at jaben in singapore last year. I spent only about 10-15 minutes with each off a corda swing/cantale (I cant remember.)

I personally felt that the w1000x was the pick of the bunch. It seemed to have the most balanced representation of the three. Id say that the bass treble and mid were all nice, however, as a whole, its definately got an AT house sound. Great if you dig it, for me, it feels a bit unnatural.

The mid of the w5000 was nice, but the bass was very thin and wasnt convincing, treble was also nice. Overall tonality though seemed odd, they have a very distinct sound which I just wasnt digging, they were horrible for the "rock" songs I listened to.

I spent the least time with the w1000, it didnt have the character of the w5000 and it didnt seem to reach the same level as the w1000x across the board. I did think however that they did sound nice, just not exceptional in any way.

I honestly went into the store looking to buy something, instead I walked away empty handed. All of the headphones were good in their own way. But they were all very "AT" for me the AT sound isnt one that I find natural, at least not with such a short audition since I dont have the time to become acustomed to it. If you love AT's though, I think you will find are deservedly at the upper end of the AT lineup.

Id love to listen to them on a different amp to see if that changes things up, and spend a bit more time with the w1000x in general.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #116 of 292
Henerenry, I don't understand the term "house sound". Can you explain a bit for me on that?

Any can anyone tell me a bit about soundstage, imaging, detail and instrument separation of W1000X? At which level are they at compared to stuff like D7000, DT880 and K701?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #117 of 292
If I understand the term correctly, it refers to how many headphones from the same manufacturer will sound similar. For example, many of the Grado Prestige series sound very much alike, and people will refer to that as the "grado house sound." They'll say: "I wasn't impressed with the 325i, but I never was a fan of the grado house sound." or something like that.

That said, He's referring to the Audio Technica House sound. I imagine he means it sounds familiar, or similar to other Audio-Technica headphones he's heard.

I can't comment on how these sound, as I've not yet been lucky enough to try them. I'll leave that in the capable hands of someone else.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #118 of 292
Quote:

Henerenry, I don't understand the term "house sound". Can you explain a bit for me on that?

Any can anyone tell me a bit about soundstage, imaging, detail and instrument separation of W1000X? At which level are they at compared to stuff like D7000, DT880 and K701?

Thanks!

I don't understand it either... they are the most neutral headphones and the best I have ever heard. I simply cannot find a flaw... other than the price being criminally low for how good they are.

As far as these bass mods go, the W1000X is in no need of a bass mod. It has supurbe bass. Simply amazing. Don't fix what ain't broke!

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #119 of 292
Just a correction here: I never mentioned the D7000. The only Denon I've spent time with is the D5000. Unfortunately there isn't a D7000 available for listening in the shop I tried the W1000X either.
frown.gif

Quote:

x2

eek.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #120 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W5000 doesn't have bass, at least not a lot of it.

Hum. I wonder how do you think of the bass on k70x then. I have the k702 now and I like its bass. It is not strong, but it IS there. That is enough for me.

I am currently considering getting W1000x or W5000 and I am leaning towards the w5000. I listen to a lot of electronica, jazz, indie female vocals. I might wait until I make my trip to Japan next year to audition them, or I might just take a leap of faith and buy one of them soon and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back