Interview With Sony: NW-ZX2... Your Questions Answered
Mar 1, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #46 of 80
HiFiChris, ahhh ok, now I know what you're saying. Maybe it is time we demand IEM manufacturers realize they need to stop making such designs... plus have them consider higher sensitivity too.

(Rant On)
This is very much like home speaker designers who do something insane like 86dB/W/m and such a horrible design that the impedance dips down to 3 Ohms in the bass and 10 Ohms in the midrange and gosh only know how bad the swing everywhere else. Then they wonder why their speakers get lackluster reviews when being used with certain amplification.
(Rant Off)

ANSWER ME THIS
Of note is that I've been thinking about this topic for some time. Why do headphones designers seem to be designing their products so that _______________? (insert/post your comment)

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #47 of 80
  HiFiChris, ahhh ok, now I know what you're saying. Maybe it is time we demand IEM manufacturers realize they need to stop making such designs... plus have them consider higher sensitivity too.

Well, this is almost impossible to achieve because IEMs with multiple transducers require crossovers to sound good and in phase and the transducers have got different impedance.
But it is not only the difference in impedance that causes varying impedance on headphones: for example, the Sennheiser HD800 which has got only one Transducer and no crossover components also has got a varying impedance (like many other headphones) because of their resonance frequency where the impedance raises.
As you can see, there are many factors which cause varying impedance on headphones.
The most important thing is a low source impedance to drive a headphone without frequency deviation.

To bypass such frequency offset as seen above, most (speaker) amps have got a low impedance output stage.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #48 of 80
Thx Chris. BTW, I did e-mail Sony to see what the output impedance is. I did ask the question but kind of not the direct answer per se. So we'll see what it is. Agree there are many things going on, and it reminds me of higher sound quality via minimal design hornspeakers and low wattage amps versus the monster amps and huge speakers debate.

Is less more?

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #49 of 80
In this case, a lowe output impedance is definitely "more" because it makes the DAP more universally usable.

However, while a low output impedance means that all kinds of headphones are driven linearly, some may prefer a certain headphone with applied resistance. For example, Sennheiser applied a 43Ohms resistance to the HDVD because they found it had the best synergy with the HD800.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #51 of 80
Thanks for the interview, though it was really short. Is he on a limited schedule or hesitant to give interviews? My first question would be "Users are reporting much shorter run times compared to Sony claims. Some report 19 hours for MP3. How did Sony achieve figures like 40-60 hours using android? Android seems to cause excessive drain. Were certain services turned off?"

I am at the point today where I may return the unit and get a new one because 19 hours MP3 playback is not anywhere near what Sony claims and either they exaggerated by at least 100% or I have a dud battery, which seems highly unlikely. Some people report 8 hours usage and 85% battery remaining while others seem to think my time is fine. ????
I use 10% battery per hour of flac (off sd or internal) and about 5% per hour of MP3.

What is really odd is that spotify streaming off wifi seems to use LESS battery. Figure that one out.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #52 of 80
Thanks for the interview, though it was really short. Is he on a limited schedule or hesitant to give interviews? My first question would be "Users are reporting much shorter run times compared to Sony claims. Some report 19 hours for MP3. How did Sony achieve figures like 40-60 hours using android? Android seems to cause excessive drain. Were certain services turned off?"

I am at the point today where I may return the unit and get a new one because 19 hours MP3 playback is not anywhere near what Sony claims and either they exaggerated by at least 100% or I have a dud battery, which seems highly unlikely. Some people report 8 hours usage and 85% battery remaining while others seem to think my time is fine. ????
I use 10% battery per hour of flac (off sd or internal) and about 5% per hour of MP3.

What is really odd is that spotify streaming off wifi seems to use LESS battery. Figure that one out.

On FLAC I have not run the battery down but at 12 hours or so I still have at least half of the battery left and that is at higher power output, for what 15mw can do. :^) 

I do find that amping the ZX2 works very well. I did some comparison and have to use my best amps as the ZX2 is very transparent and if you don't use a very good amp, you loose transparency. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #53 of 80

On FLAC I have not run the battery down but at 12 hours or so I still have at least half of the battery left and that is at higher power output, for what 15mw can do. :^) 

I do find that amping the ZX2 works very well. I did some comparison and have to use my best amps as the ZX2 is very transparent and if you don't use a very good amp, you loose transparency. 

So how does the ZX2 sound with the JH13?

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #54 of 80

Are you using an amp to get these numbers? Or zx2 on its own? Did you adjust any settings in android, stop any processes?

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #55 of 80
is this model the end model for sony (with the current models also) ? as there are rumors about closing the walkman department among other electronic departments !! 

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #56 of 80
Are you using an amp to get these numbers? Or zx2 on its own? Did you adjust any settings in android, stop any processes?

No, no amp. With an amp it runs much longer. Today I have had it unplugged for about 7 hours and running. It looks to be down about 10 percent. That doesn't seem enough but just a little of the battery is black. I guess I could get an app for the battery percentage but I have found the indicator to be easy to use. I haven't stopped any apps but mine doesn't show any, which is confusing. It is from Japan. So that time is with no amp and I haven't touched the apps. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #57 of 80
Thanks for the interview, though it was really short. Is he on a limited schedule or hesitant to give interviews? My first question would be "Users are reporting much shorter run times compared to Sony claims. Some report 19 hours for MP3. How did Sony achieve figures like 40-60 hours using android? Android seems to cause excessive drain. Were certain services turned off?".

Time was a bit limited, and am thankful for having ANY time with him. We went to a separate, private room too. It was very kind of Sony allowing me to interview him as this was not planned (on their side) and I first spoke on the phone with the head of Sony Singapore before I was then allowed to do the interview. These are large companies mind you and they were kind enough to provide me access to their chief designer.

The first few battery charges do seem to be a bit 'short', give it at least a few FULL cycles. Others here are getting good battery life and the first few charges on the one here was a bit short of play time yet now much better.

So how does the ZX2 sound with the JH13?

Apologies for 'parachuting' in as you asked someone else yet I have a set of JH Audio JH13 here (ok, you guys can stop throwing things at your screen due to all the toys I have with me). Am very surprised how well the JH13 sounds with the NW-ZX2. Unbalanced stock cable....  Tonally very neutral and very impressive inner definition/resolution. In some ways better than then Roxannes, other ways not so much. Phasing effects with the JH13 is not as good as with the Roxannes. Of course the Roxannes have more bass and am beginning to (moreso) confirm my sneaking suspicion that the fancy crossover/adjuster of the Roxannes is mucking up it's ability to deliver highly detailed information (inner / layered resolution at the deepest level, which the K-10 'gets right' big time).

JH13 are not as sensitive/efficient as the Noble K-10, so volume needs to be turned up a touch more.

JH13 is also not as smooth in the highs (above 8kHz) than either the Roxanne or the K-10s. JH13 is a bit gritty sounding. Noble K-10 has deeper reach into the lower bass octave(s) than the JH13.

JMHO and my humble apologies for parachuting in here.

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #58 of 80
  Apologies for 'parachuting' in as you asked someone else yet I have a set of JH Audio JH13 here (ok, you guys can stop throwing things at your screen due to all the toys I have with me). Am very surprised how well the JH13 sounds with the NW-ZX2. Unbalanced stock cable....  Tonally very neutral and very impressive inner definition/resolution. In some ways better than then Roxannes, other ways not so much. Phasing effects with the JH13 is not as good as with the Roxannes. Of course the Roxannes have more bass and am beginning to (moreso) confirm my sneaking suspicion that the fancy crossover/adjuster of the Roxannes is mucking up it's ability to deliver highly detailed information (inner / layered resolution at the deepest level, which the K-10 'gets right' big time).

JH13 are not as sensitive/efficient as the Noble K-10, so volume needs to be turned up a touch more.

JH13 is also not as smooth in the highs (above 8kHz) than either the Roxanne or the K-10s. JH13 is a bit gritty sounding. Noble K-10 has deeper reach into the lower bass octave(s) than the JH13.

JMHO and my humble apologies for parachuting in here.

Thank you sir! So basically what you're saying is I should sell my JH13 and get a K10 :) All kidding aside, thanks for your impressions.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #59 of 80

Thank you sir! So basically what you're saying is I should sell my JH13 and get a K10 :) All kidding aside, thanks for your impressions.

Always glad to help, yet it really does stink being me at times too  :frowning2:

It was VERY interesting trying the JH13s, as they have kinda been a left-out person child of sorts since the UE18 Pro handily beat them. The JH13 have very good transparency and inner detail (to some extent makes me wonder about the Roxanne's lack of ultimate transparency /detail considering the price). And yes am smitten by the Noble K-10, but it truly is THAT great. The Noble's are not just subtly better (read: not a small increment). It is like going from some very nice very good value speakers to something truly premium. Soooo wish I could let others hear the difference, yet custom IEMs are just that, so only made for me. Only thing I can think of is to get a binaural dummy head with my full ear impressions and then use that as a mic to capture the sound of IEMs.

Be careful what you wish for...

Have promised my wife Heather a set of K-10s.... and also an NW-ZX2 as well(!). It's the only way for her to hear what I'm referring to, plus she needs a nice reference setup and this should work nicely. So SEE, SEE what I mean... it aint easy me. So many questions, and with each answer spurs more questions. It's a TRAP... a paradox!

At the next audio show i'll be the scruffy unshaven guy holding a sign saying "Will work odds jobs for a Neumann KU 100".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back