Interview With Sony: NW-ZX2... Your Questions Answered
Feb 26, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 80

Alas, I can't ask that as, well... when you learn who i'll have access to you'll hopefully understand that would not be an appropriate question to ask.

Same goes for ANY other questions about comparo, PLEASE ask those within the other thread at
www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/1980

A most humble thanks for your understating that we stay on topic as this thread is for those who want questions answered about the NW-ZX2 tech, circuitry, operation, software, design, etc.

oh .. sorry for inconvenience  

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #18 of 80
Mmet, no worries :)  We're all looking for answers to many questions as Sony provided less than in-depth info on their site for us high-tech users. Hopefully this evening (in about 6 hours) we'll have the answers to many questions. Have all my reporting gear ready and waiting... including a full frame 36.8 Megpix photo & 1080/60fps video setup and two Zeiss lenses.

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 80
Can you find out how best to use the battery to get the most out of it.

Some people are saying run it from 100% to 0% the first few times and some are saying never to let the battery get to 0% with these.

Also should we let the battery run low and then fully charge or is it ok to just plug it into charge whenever we have access to a socket.

Just answers on how to best preserve the battery life.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #20 of 80
  Can you find out how best to use the battery to get the most out of it.

While we all love to know, that horse is well beaten for many years. 
deadhorse.gif
 There are plenty of sites on how best to use a Li-ion battery.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #21 of 80
Feb 27, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #22 of 80
Hi Steven,

Could you please compare the sound of ZX2 to the Discman D-25 you reviewed 12 years ago (a very nice review btw)
And no, I am not joking. I should receive hopefully my repaired D-25 in about two weeks and want to know how it fares to the new generation of portable players from Sony.
Thanks in advance!

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #25 of 80
  Hi Steven,

Could you please compare the sound of ZX2 to the Discman D-25 you reviewed 12 years ago (a very nice review btw)
And no, I am not joking. I should receive hopefully my repaired D-25 in about two weeks and want to know how it fares to the new generation of portable players from Sony.
Thanks in advance!

Ooooooh, that sounds like fun! Will dig out the D-25 and get it going for a week to warm things up and then compare. :)

What is the screen made of? Is it scratch resistant? I would like to know if a screen protector is needed.

Asked, answer forthcoming within my article on www.EnjoyTheMusic.com because I forgot to ask when I was talking with the designer of the NW-ZX2 so e-mailed that question as a follow-up.

Can you please ask if they can modify the software whereby the Sound Enhancements can be permanently disabled and don't need to be disabled each time you reboot.

Can tell you with 99 44/100 accuracy they won't do that. Just root the device and delete Sound Enhancements. Remember to save the APK file just in case you ever want to reinstall it. You could program an APP to just disable/re-enable that setting (might or might not need root, not sure). If you can't program, hire a code-monkey :)

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #26 of 80
UPDATE

The meeting went great and Sony graciously provided me with 1:1 time with Mr. Yoshioka, Sony's NW-ZX1 / ZX-2 and future such devices engineer/designer. Lots of great info and plenty of pics plus video too. Have lots of work to do as have to get the March www.EnjoyTheMusic.com Review Magazine online today. So am working at 200% right now.

BRING ON THE KRISPY KREME DONUTS STAT!!!

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #27 of 80
  Thanks for this thread. I have 4 questions.
1 Does the zx2 play dsd natively or converts to pcm?
2 do i need a special cable to connect it to my ami musik ds5 Dac?
3 Can it be used as an outboard Dac?
4 Is there a specific need for the cradle if I need to connect it to an outboard Dac?
I have an oppertunity to buy one direct from Japan so if someone can answer these questions it would be a big help.

Also interested in the answers to 1 and 3 above.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #28 of 80
Here we go.....

Quick answer: 1 Does the zx2 play dsd natively or converts to pcm?

(Ducks for cover, but please remember i'm only the messenger)
Converts to PCM

2 do i need a special cable to connect it to my ami musik ds5 Dac?

No digital out at this time and that unit lacks a simple-to-implement analog input to then take advantage of it's amplification section.

3 Can it be used as an outboard Dac?

No normal way to use the Sony NW-ZX2 as a digital input/desktop soundcard substitute at this time.

Have MUCH MORE info and answers to many questions here within my interview article. Will hopefully get it online tomorrow or Monday.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #30 of 80
Why does it rebuild library after powering down? It takes me three minutes after powering on to access my music. This is long by any standard. Doesn't save your last listening spot, resets battery counter. No sleep timer. A17 was much easier to use in this regard.

What is the point of powering off then? To me, powering off IS a reset. This could be better explained in the manual. They mention all the Eq effects that drain battery. Why is 'clear bass' not mentioned? Does it not affect battery drain or did they forget to put it in the manual? It's the only EQ I used so I would like to know exactly how much drain this causes and in what increments. The scale goes from 1-10. Is setting one just as bad as ten, or better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back