Interesting. The HFI-2200 sounds better than the UE-10.
Aug 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #16 of 22
Okay, thanks for clarifying.

So I guess the same driver can sound different when it's in two different headphones, correct? It just depends on what parts and materials they use?

Maybe this is another case of the K701 out of MP3. While the 2200/2400 can run out of an MP3, it won't sound as good unless it's amped?

I just don't want CNET to persuade me into getting another headphone that sounds the same as my AD700 straight from the MP3.

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 22
Housing plays a big role in the final sound, I do not think the zino have clarity, in fact they sound muffled, but they do have decent transient speed and raw detail. They have different impedance as well, 70 for hfi-2200/2400, 35 for zino, otherwise they are the same drivers, according to what ultrasone told a head-fier over email.

I am guessing the hfi-2200/2400 will be forgiving of the dac of most mp3 players, but require more amping than the hfi-580. This is just based on specs as I haven't heard newer hfi-2200 nor hfi-580, but from experience with other ultrasones, I would say they don't have many headphones meant to perform ideally straight out of mp3 players, only the zino was specifically designed for mp3 players. I would deter you from using the hfi-580 straight out of an mp3 player if you don't even like ad700 out of an mp3 player, as they are close to each other in terms of impedance/sensitivity.

Aug 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
 I would deter you from using the hfi-580 straight out of an mp3 player if you don't even like ad700 out of an mp3 player, as they are close to each other in terms of impedance/sensitivity.

I wouldn't be using the 580 out of an MP3, but the 2400, if I bought an Ultrasone.

I'm not saying I don't like my AD700 out of MP3, because so far, nothing has really matched it unamped. When I said, "I just don't want CNET to persuade me into getting another headphone that sounds the same as my AD700 straight from the MP3" I meant I get disappointed when headphones that cost 3x as much, sound the same as my AD700, which still sounds good. But if I'm going to buy a headphone 3x as much as the AD700, it darn well better sound better. But the trick is, I must find one that sounds better unamped, thus I looked at the 2400, as well as the AD900.

I like the AD series because they don't need an amp. I've heard that the 2400 doesn't really need one, as it run great from MP3 already. I just don't want it to sound "great" as an equivalent to the AD700.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #19 of 22
The reason phones costing 3x AD700 do not sound better is not because they aren't better, they just require proper source and amp to show the difference. In my mind, if headphones are not specifically given a sound signature and impedance/sensitivty aimed at normal consumer gear, but are aimed at professionals to be analyzing and unforgiving, they require a source and amp far beyond the average mp3 player to sound "good".

Many non-studio headphones may still have high source and amp requirement and you have to discount them when looking for headphones for an mp3 player. I would not spend more than $150 on most headphones if used straight out of an mp3 player. But headphones designed to compensate for mp3 players and still scale in detail with price, I would consider paying as much as I would other headphones.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #20 of 22
Understood.

This is why my field of choice is so narrow, because there isn't that many *good* headphones out there than run great unamped.

I guess the only full sized choice left is the AD900?

Maybe I would be best suited for an IEM then? As none of them really need an amp to sound their best. It seems with full sized, the SQ can only get so high before you are required to use an amp. With IEM's, it seems different. Almost like they will best full sized non amped headphones. If this is so, I may just shop the IEM market then.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #21 of 22
Some IEM's have very high resolution and aren't forgiving of mp3 players.

What I'm trying to say is, headphones can be extremely high fidelity. Some people say headphones have as much detail as speakers 5-10x as expensive. If you don't consider the quality of your source and amp at all, you cannot take "high fidelity" headphones very far in terms of technical performance, although it is possible to make it "good sounding", especially with headphones of any price-range designed for mp3 players.

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #22 of 22
You cant really go wrong with either the hfi2400 or the ad900 IMO. I have heard both directly from a computer and they both sounded pretty great. I guess if I had to choose one it would be the hfi2400 the ad900 looked kind of ugly and I would not want to wear them in public. The ad900 the sound is a bit distant which is not really a bad thing I think this is what gives it its nice airy soundstage the hfi24000 give a more "live" sound which is more to my liking so I would also choose them for this reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back