Interesting. The HFI-2200 sounds better than the UE-10.
Aug 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
Check this out:

This is from CNET's Ultrasone HFI-2200 review:

"To finish up, we plugged the HFI-2200 into our iPod. We were instantly wowed--the sound was big and weighty with exceptional clarity. The iPod had enough power to play the HFI-2200 fairly loud, but nowhere as loud as our reference Ultimate Ears UE-10 in-ear headphones. The HFI-2200's sound was much better than the far more expensive UE-10s, but the HFI-2200s' size will deter customers looking for a portable and practical set of headphones. Still, it's nice to know it can work with an iPod if the need ever arises. The HFI-2200 was a much better match with the iPod than Ultrasone's HFI-580, which we wouldn't ever recommend using with an iPod."

So I guess IEM's really don't sound as good as full-sized?

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 22
Why in the hell were they comparing IEM's to full size? Would you compare a Ferrari to a tractor trailer that is similar in price? They are both good in their own respects, there is no need to compare them.

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 22
No, I don't know why, but they did. Nothing stopping CNET.
tongue.gif

It's nice to see such a comparison though. I really find it quite interesting.

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #4 of 22
I. HATE. CNET.

I used to love it for all the tech news but then I realized niche sites like this and MaximumPC are much better and serve pretty much the same purpose with less ads. Look at the review of the HD800 on there. They hooked it up to an iPod. D'oh!

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 22
I know what you mean.

They reviewed the K702's and had a paragraph about using it straight from an iPod.

Here are their exact words:

"We finished up with the K 702 plugged into a 15GB iPod, and the sound was excellent. True, the iPod didn't have the oomph we got from the Onkyo receiver, so the sound balance was more midrange, and the bass didn't feel as deep. Then again, the K 702's size might rule it out for portable use. But it's still one of the best-sounding set of headphones we've ever heard with our iPod. Our Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro in-ear headphones ($900 MSRP) can make more bass and have a warmer midrange, but the K 702's clarity, and open, out-of-head sound staging has it all over the UE-10 Pros. (It's worth noting that the UE-10 Pros can play much louder over an iPod than the K 702 can.)"

Oh wait. Now the K702's unamped are better than the UE-10? Man, IEM's must not be not THAT good at all. Because I've tried that, and it sounded like my AD700. (Not saying my AD700 sounds bad, because it is a spectacular phone. Just saying I would *think* they would have a higher bar than that.)

But it's interesting none the less. Who said they are wrong?

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 22
What REALLY pisses me off, is that they get to review and try out these products FOR NO CHARGE even though they have no experience with audiophile gear. These companies let them borrow them for free! Where is my free demo product?

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 22
It's common for reviewers to fail to isolate technical aspects. When you say "sound is much better" people are going to misunderstand you unless you go in depth. I guess... also pretty common for reviewers to put top end studio, full-size headphones to ipods and say they are bad for portable. What was akg thinking?!?

I've used the hfi-2200 with mp3 players, and I think it's a very very bad idea. Judging by impedance and sensitivity, hfi-580 should sound much better than the hfi-2200 out of an ipod. I think the problem is the reviewer does not actually like fidelity, he probably likes some smooth droning noise with soundstage effects, which is how I'd describe my older version hfi-2200 out of an mp3 player. I'll give the reviewer the benefit of the doubt, maybe the older version driver is just crap, and/or newer version driver is much better.

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 22
Interesting.

Hmm, I thought the 2200/2400 was the *best* Ultrasone for running straight from a portable player. I guess I'm wrong?

Then again, I was basing that a bit of CNET's review, as I simply can't find any reviews on the 2200 or the 2400 here on Head-Fi.

I don't know. CNET's whole review system just is weird.

BTW, they did give the Klipsch S4, 4.5 stars overall, which is extremely high for a CNET rating.

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:

BTW, they did give the Klipsch S4, 4.5 stars overall, which is extremely high for a CNET rating.

That says it all.

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
I. HATE. CNET.

I used to love it for all the tech news but then I realized niche sites like this and MaximumPC are much better and serve pretty much the same purpose with less ads. Look at the review of the HD800 on there. They hooked it up to an iPod. D'oh!

They did that nice review for the Asgard, though. Anything to get our hobby a little mainstream respect is good in my book, even if they are doing it a bit wrong.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
I've used the hfi-2200 with mp3 players, and I think it's a very very bad idea.

Uh oh. I've been planning on doing that for awhile now.

Is this the same situation as using the K701 out of an MP3? Just doesn't sound good?

Well, if the 2200/2400 doesn't work, I guess it's off to the AD900.

Aug 23, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Uh oh. I've been planning on doing that for awhile now.

Is this the same situation as using the K701 out of an MP3? Just doesn't sound good?

Well, if the 2200/2400 doesn't work, I guess it's off to the AD900.

No, the hfi-2200 older version is moderately forgiving, however it is a bit low sensitivity and medium impedance, meaning a normal mp3 player cannot give it full play. It doesn't have a big dac requirement like neutral headphones might, which I assume is the case with the K701, but it does deserve an amp better than MOST mp3 players.

I also have the ultrasone zino which has the same driver as the hfi-2200 newer version and hfi-2400 (they all use the same driver, confirmed by ultrasone, but zino has a bit different specs and of course different housing). The zino driver is more technically detailed than older hfi-2200, and it does run out of an mp3 player better, but I attribute it mainly to it being 35 impedance and 101 sensitivity. The older hfi-2200 cup and bufferboard do make for a better listening experience than zino, but if straight out of average mp3 players... meh too undynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back