Interesting Sennheiser HD 800 Review by Ken Rockwell
Jan 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

shipsupt

Headphoneus Supremus
I know that there are other photographers out here in Head-Fi land, some might be familiar with photographer and blogger Ken Rockwell.  Ken's a popular, and often controversial, blogger offering equipment reviews and shooting tips.  While he often focuses on Nikon gear, you'll find information on almost any brand of camera including Leica, Canon, Pentax, Mamiya, you name it.  Many don't agree with his opinion, but from his popularity it's clear that many find the information he provides valuable.

So what's a photography blog got to do with headphones?  It seems that Ken likes music too.  While he takes time to confirm that he is NOT an audiophile, he does have an interesting musical background.  Ken revealed recently that after reading many reviews (I'll bet he was reading Head-Fi) he treated himself to a pair of HD 800's for Christmas.  It's interesting to note that this is the first new set of cans since his Beyer DT 990 (600 ohm) he's been happily listening to since 1988.  For anyone who's read his camera reviews you'll instantly recognize the layout of his review.  I am sure some of you will find it as controversial to his opinions on camera gear, but as he states, he's just offering his opinion.  It's a good read and as you might expect has some very nice product shots.

You can find the review here:
http://kenrockwell.com/audio/sennheiser/hd800.htm

His home page here:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

I was left wondering if he's allowed his new cans enough time to burn in and open up?  Ken has offered a lot to the photography community over the years, perhaps the Head-Fi experts will offer him some guidance to fully enjoy his 800's.

Chris

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 51
Wow! I did in no way expect something like this! Especially from him!

I used to read on his sight ALL the time. I admire his "down to earth" writing style, which kept me reading nearly all his articles. He is a very smart photographer, and one I learned a whole lot from. So it's really quite surprising he is writing on a headphone. I'll definitely be reading this, in fact, I'll read it right now. Curious to what he has to say and how he'll say it...

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 51
"HD800s have the same soundstage has every other headphones."

that just made my day

his paragraph summing up audiophiles...wow...

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 51
On the contrary, he sounds pretty savvy to me. He certainly seems to have nailed the sound of the HD800s as described by those who don't care for them, so there must be something in it. I know one thing: I had only crossed the 800 off my list in pencil. Now I've crossed it off in pen.

Two things give his review verisimilitude. The remark about Telarc recordings being dull sounding (I thought I was the only one who noticed that), and his comment about the 800s making strings sound wiry, which is exactly the effect of an upper-midrange boost. I think this guy knows what he's talking about.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 51
I read his review and it aggravates me that he says such things. Plus he is using an ipod as a source! He does not know what he is talking about at all. He described their tone perfectly, but meh.....

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:
On the contrary, he sounds pretty savvy to me. He certainly seems to have nailed the sound of the HD800s as described by those who don't care for them, so there must be something in it. I know one thing: I had only crossed the 800 off my list in pencil. Now I've crossed it off in pen.

Two things give his review verisimilitude. The remark about Telarc recordings being dull sounding (I thought I was the only one who noticed that), and his comment about the 800s making strings sound wiry, which is exactly the effect of an upper-midrange boost. I think this guy knows what he's talking about.

being an engineer with background in TV definitely helps him appreciate higher end audio gear i think.  he's a big ol' gadget nerd all around :p

Quote:
Zombie_X said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I read his review and it aggravates me that he says such things. Plus he is using an ipod as a source! He does not know what he is talking about at all. He described their tone perfectly, but meh.....

Quote:
Happy Camper said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

He'd better stick to photo

lol...i expected these responses from 99% of head-fi :p

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 51
His description of audiophiles is spot on.  (I'm a music lover, not an audiophile...)

Most of his description is perfect as well, but What is up with his description of the soundstage?

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 51
i agree with you cause that what i was exactly thinking myself when i read it.

Quote:
His description of audiophiles is spot on.  (I'm a music lover, not an audiophile...)

Most of his description is perfect as well, but What is up with his description of the soundstage?

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 51
Its an interesting review, as with most of his reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote:

he said he was using a big fat pro-sony CD player for his source.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 51
 Look. For an Edition 8 review next. Anybody know any southern calif/ san Diego dealers for Stax? Also may try to review Audezzeeee LC whatever the cLl them in law Vegas. I want as close ad I cN get to the sound of. Live symphony orchestra, if any of you are musiciNs with suggestions. Fir now, my DT990 are tops for me, and I bought them in 1988. I wonder if the new models Re any good still?

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 51
Welcome, Ken!

The only store with a good selection of headphones in LA is the DXC Store in Culver City. However, I don't think they are a Stax dealer.

There might be a LA meet coming up, though. We occasionally get together and bring our equipment - there's usually quite a bit of Stax at the meets. All members are welcome and you don't need to bring any gear. Just show up and bring some music to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back