Instrumental music to go to sleep to
Nov 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

eobet

100+ Head-Fier

Background: I'm used to having dead quiet around me, but I currently live in a place with quite a busy street outside my (poorly insulated) window. Listening to cars passing by at random intervals when I'm trying to fall asleep drives me crazy, so my solution right now is to have some music playing (yeah, not on headphones... but still, I thought this was a good forum to ask on).

My current (very short) playlist consists of these songs:

Albatross - Fleetwood Mac (actually, I think this is going off the playlist soon... too heavy)
Boadicea - Enya (yeah, she sings, but there's no lyrics at least)
Air from the Ouverture No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068 - Johann Sebastian Bach
Chorale from Cantata BWV 147: Jesu Bleibet Meine Freude - Johann Sebastian Bach
Monastery of La Rabida - Vangelis
West Across the Ocea Sea - Vangelis
Canon in D major - Johann Pachelbel
Gnossiennes: No. 1 (Lent) - Erik Satie

If anyone have recommendations along the same musical styles, I'd greatly appreciate it (main rule is that there cannot be any lyrics).

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 66
Try composer and pianist Ludovico Einaudi. Eden Roc, Una Mattina and Divinere are all regulars on my late night playlist.

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 66
Although it's jazz (and I don't think I saw any in your current list), one that always worked for me is Kenny Wheeler's "GNU High" album.  Just drifts you off.

- Ed

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 66
Nov 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 66
Generally with Gheorghe Zamfir music, its very relaxing. 
And i fall asleep everytime i listen to it. 
redface.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 66
I've always enjoyed Eno's "Ambient 1 - Music for Airports" for drifting off to sleep.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 66
No one has suggested Chopin's Nocturnes yet? Excellent.

Also try some Brian Eno (especially the Ambient recordings), Tangerine Dream, Arvo Pärt, Sibelius, and Galaxy 500.

Galaxy 500 is awesome. Yes, a rock band. They rebelled against the grunge movement by playing softer, slower and quieter. There's nothing quite like them. Underappreciated and very much worth checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back