inside pictures of a singlepower mpx-3
Oct 20, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #211 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by jatinder
I have it on good authority that there is at least one 100% UK-based MANUFACTURER of valve hi-fi that doesn't have a CE-approval on his equipment even though the CE stickers are there on the back of his units.

You actually don't have to ship your amps to a certification company to put the stickers on. Sticking the CE logo is just a way for the manufacturer to say "I think it's ok and if it's not I'm responsible for the mess". The manufacturer is just taking a rather serious risk. And of course, he should send a conformity declaration to the administrative body in charge. Do you mean that manufacturer doesn't even do that ?

see : http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise...uide/index.htm

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #212 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Note here that he does have the right to decline information about his designs if he would like to. If he'd prefer not to go into the amp's layout, that's his decision and it shouldn't be held against him.

Agreed.

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #213 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I would bet about any thing that the amp was shaken and set on every side and the top when shipping and all the bubble wrap in the world would not protect it from that. Since the amps have been surviving shipping, maybe Singlepower new what they were doing when they built it this way. So until you have some info to back up statements like this maybe you should stick to the facts.

"Just got the amp on Friday. This is my second time receiving the amp. A month ago I received this PPX3 from my friend's mom hand carry to me from LA but some how the amp is not worked. May be from the transportation vibration or something. I asked Mikhail if it's ok for me to open the amp and let some tecnician in Bangkok to have a look. He said just send it back to him he'll fix it and send it to me free of charge. Less than a month I got the amp back it sounds great, he even added another set of EH tubes for me. What can I say about his responsibility and first rate service (the shipping cost him $72.00)?" This was posted in the following thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83861

Oct 20, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #214 of 275
The thread is getting longer and longer, it is getting harder and harder to follow. I have few questions about the thread:

1. Are we 100% sure the picture of internal amp = Singlepower amp?
2. Did manufacturer respone to us so far?

If we are not 100% sure about the first question, then the whole thread become meaningless.

If first question is true, and I am wondering why the manufacturer does not respone to us.

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #215 of 275
Mikhail, First let me say thank you so much for putting forth the effort to answer our questions. I know you are a very busy man and would much rather spend your time elsewhere. I have a couple of questions that others have asked at one point too.

1) Are these amps Class A and Single Ended, I seem to remember this being posted on your website? But because these images are close-ups no one can tell.

2) Are these amps original designs or based off of an existing tube design also because of the close-up nature of the images we can't tell?

3) Are there any plans to offer internal pictures of your work in the future.

Thanks,
Jim

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #216 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanillawafer
Mikhail, First let me say thank you so much for putting forth the effort to answer our questions. I know you are a very busy man and would much rather spend your time elsewhere. I have a couple of questions that others have asked at one point too.

1) Are these amps Class A and Single Ended, I seem to remember this being posted on your website? But because these images are close-ups no one can tell.

2) Are these amps original designs or based off of an existing tube design also because of the close-up nature of the images we can't tell?

3) Are there any plans to offer internal pictures of your work in the future.

Thanks,
Jim

Good call. These three points (especially the last ones) would go a long way toward helping Mikhail out here, if responded too.

Re the persecution, give me a break team Singlepower--you say that this thread is pathetic, but consumers don't have a right to complain about shoddy worksmanship before we're part of some vast conspiracy and witch hunt? I've said it before and probably will have to again--what a joke.

If anything, this is Mikhail's chance to turn this into a huge advantage. Admit that no, these amps aren't very well laid out, rethink them from the ground up and come up with a clean and secure layout. I admit that I'm still interested in Singlepower, but I'd be much more inclined to purchase anything if I saw a neat, well constructed and well thought-out layout.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #217 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanillawafer
I will let you know, I'm still waiting for some questions to be answered and then I will make up my mind. I'm still not sure if Mikhail will accept a refund or not, but I will keep you posted.

Those of you with a PPX3 6CG7 can you anser a question for me. Do these amps have a "label" on the front of the amp covering what would be the "- 6SN7" lettering? For example, you will notice my amp is quite unique:

(Image removed)

Notice it's a 6CG7 amp that was screened as a 6SN7. It's my understanding that they are all screened as PPX3 - 6SN7 and then at time of shipping they put a label over the "- 6SN7" portion so that it just says PPX3 if you have a 6CG7 version. I was wondering if that label looks funny or not. Mikhail offered to send me the label to fix my amp, but I told him not to worry about it because it's not that big of a deal. I was also concerned about what it would do to the looks of this amp if it had a noticable "label" covering up that lettering. Can someone with the PPX3 comment on how this looks. I know it's a little off topic, but it does have to do with the build quality IMO.

My label is one piece. I am not sure it covers anything.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #218 of 275
Why is my posting taken away. I only saying what is in the sides of my amps.

My superr A has no Class A or it is not Singleended for me to see when looking. It is the same thing as the cricuit of the Morgan jones when it is at head wize sight for the doit you selfers. My ppx3 is the same things in sides as the SuperA to my eyes. i see too many things wrong with this amps from the insides and too much changed form the sight after mr mikhail is asked these things. Why so much changes to the sights and no ansmwers for the class A. I pay for my single powers too like all the others.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #219 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by angel_teres
My superr A has no Class A or it is not Singleended for me to see when looking. It is the same thing as the cricuit of the Morgan jones when it is at head wize sight for the doit you selfers. My ppx3 is the same things in sides as the SuperA to my eyes. i see too many things wrong with this amps from the insides and too much changed form the sight after mr mikhail is asked these things. Why so much changes to the sights and no ansmwers for the class A. I pay for my single powers too like all the others.

Are you sure about this? (For instance, do you have experience reading schematics and building tube amps?) It would be quite a story if what you're saying is true.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #220 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by angel_teres
Why is my posting taken away. I only saying what is in the sides of my amps.

Whoah...Are you quite certain? Can we get more people to crack open their amps and verify? These would be quite serious if the circuits really are coming from HeadWize, and the Class A really is Class A/B.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #221 of 275
It maybe too much to say for all the others but so much it is so true for them to see for their own eyes. they all should be looking to this to see for the thruth. this the thruth look in th sides for this. this is the thruth to see. I pay for everything and see this for myself. I am the engineer/repair for Coinstar and i sell the machines to Tube roller for his vending businesses. He owns amany Coinstars and i sell them to him for making money. I make vending machines and money changers for non-us coins too. The amps sound very good to me but are the for the real truth real. I can see the truth

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #222 of 275
It wouldn't be "serious" if the circuit comes from Headwize. The Morgan Jones amp is just a standard White cathode follower. Nothing strange about that. It's a good circuit.

What would be serious is these amps not running in Class A, since it says that right on the chassis. It would also be serious if these amps were not single ended, since Mikhail has made several representations to the contrary (including the claim that the company name was chosen partly because his amps were single ended).

Note that not Class A logically implies not single ended. The converse is not necessarily true.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #223 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Whoah...Are you quite certain? Can we get more people to crack open their amps and verify?

How would the average Joe know if what he was looking at was class-A or not?

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #224 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
It wouldn't be "serious" if the circuit comes from Headwize. The Morgan Jones amp is just a standard White cathode follower. Nothing strange about that. It's a good circuit.

What would be serious is these amps not running in Class A, since it says that right on the chassis. It would also be serious if these amps were not single ended, since Mikhail has made several representations to the contrary (including the claim that the company name was chosen partly because his amps were single ended).

Note that not Class A logically implies not single ended. The converse is not necessarily true.

If (and thats a big if) the amps are in fact a stolen circuit from Headwize that Mikhail has attempted to steal and patent for profit, I'm fairly certain that I don't stand alone in saying that is a big deal--beyond legal ramifications, its just bad ethics.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #225 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
If (and thats a big if) the amps are in fact a stolen circuit from Headwize that Mikhail has attempted to steal and patent for profit, I'm fairly certain that I don't stand alone in saying that is a big deal--beyond legal ramifications, its just bad ethics.

The Headwize circuit is just a classic White follower. It's nothing new; it's been around since the late '60s. There's nothing to steal -- all it would mean is that the designer just followed a standard cookbook circuit and turned it into a profitable company. I personally doubt Mikhail ever tried patenting any of this. All that was likely just bluster to prevent reviewers from posting pictures of the insides (see the 6moons review, for instance).

You are probably right about the potential legal ramifications for misrepresenting the contents of the amplifiers, though. People felt they were getting a Class A, single-ended amplifier, and it was advertised as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back