inside pictures of a singlepower mpx-3
Oct 20, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #196 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Most of the "aesthetic" builds in P2P form use a "Bus" principle. Long conductor serves as a bus for that connection. Tuberollers chinese amplifier is an example.

Yea, I remember seeing that. That amp doesn't adhere to the same "separate ground wire" theory in the Singlepower design.

Just noticed the large orange cap beneath the tube socket in the third picture. Kinda reminds me of that old motivational poster from years past of a cat in distress hanging onto a bar with the caption "hang in there!"
tongue.gif
The ends of the wires on that cap do look like they're looped through the socket.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #197 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
This is common for tube gear. What's uncommon is having so much stuff hanging off the tube sockets without being secured somewhere else. In the first picture, for instance, there's a capacitor with a resistor securely attached to it near the middle, both of them hanging off the tube socket. There are three wires hanging from the other lead of the capacitor. The problem is that this puts all the stress on the capacitor lead attached to the tube socket. The three wires on the other end have a long lever arm and thus a reasonable amount of torque. When the amp is transported, the capacitor will wiggle around and the lead attached to the tube socket will weaken. It's a bad arrangement.

That's more what I was referring to -- not that the components were directly soldered to the tube sockets, but that they weren't secured (hence the strain relief part of my comment). Depending on the tube socket there's always going to be at least a minor concussion on the parts below, which would be exacerbated by the lack of support.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #198 of 275
Trevornetworks MPX3 looks like this :-

People Build Amp using their implementation of P2P
Shove everything into the box and pray for the best.

There is exposed metal, exposed leads, hanging parts, stressed joints.

[size=small]it megahurtz
frown.gif

[/size]

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #199 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Just noticed the large orange cap beneath the tube socket in the third picture. Kinda reminds me of that old motivational poster from years past of a cat in distress hanging onto a bar with the caption "hang in there!"
tongue.gif
The ends of the wires on that cap do look like they're looped through the socket.

Yes, that orange cap is a problem. If you were to shake the amp, that cap would fall off.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:55 AM Post #200 of 275
Quote:

Yes, that orange cap is a problem. If you were to shake the amp, that cap would fall off.

You are referring to this one which is dangling like a berry?
attachment.php

I wouldn't think the cap would fall off if you were to shake the amp but, again, this is far from ideal workmanship IMO.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:56 AM Post #201 of 275
Quote:

If this is really such an inevitability how did it ever survive shipping?

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #202 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
You are referring to this one which is dangling like a berry?
attachment.php

Yup. Turn the amp on its side and that cap will move around. The leads are so long that the cap itself exerts serious torque on its leads. Flex the leads enough and they'll break.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #203 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
There are many tube amps from around the world for sale in the UK.Does anyone know if they are all CE approved?

Hi Rob,

Many tube amps for sale in the EU are not EU-approved. The "importers" use "special" ones for CE-testing or the units are imported on a personal basis (not for resale, second-hand etc) and then mysteriously end up on sale.

I have it on good authority that there is at least one 100% UK-based MANUFACTURER of valve hi-fi that doesn't have a CE-approval on his equipment even though the CE stickers are there on the back of his units.

For goods from outside the EU - each unit should have a CE-approval certificate. My Accuphase power conditioner came with such a certificate - nothing else that I own has a certificate.

--Jatinder

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #204 of 275
Quote:

I would bet about any thing that the amp was shaken and set on every side and the top when shipping and all the bubble wrap in the world would not protect it from that. Since the amps have been surviving shipping, maybe Singlepower new what they were doing when they built it this way. So until you have some info to back up statements like this maybe you should stick to the facts.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #205 of 275
Quote:

Wonder why Mikhail uses a foot of bubble wrap on all sides when he ships these things?

The bubble wrap isn't on the inside of the amp and regardless of the amount of bubble wrap surrounding it I would expect the insides of the amp would be well shook after the rigors of shipping so that's just a lame response in my view.

So then it's comes back to persecuting him for having sound shipping practices as well, this is really rich, the guy is in an absolute no win situation with you people. IMO it's a wonder he's even responded with the tar and feather type of attitude that's being shown.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #206 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
So until you have some info to back up statements like this maybe you should stick to the facts.

I've built amps of my own, including a tube amp. I'm basing my comments on my experience of how flexible and durable the leads of film capacitors are.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #207 of 275
There's no disputing that this is one very fine sounding amplifier (from what others have said) and that, in itself, is an achievement that should be applauded.

However, the construction technique appears to be based on the "string and sellotape" principle and I can't see how Singlepower can describe it as "the true art of expert point-to-point hand wiring" because it simply isn't as the pictures clearly demonstrate.

So, this is a superb sounding amp with an untidy "engine"....... not a lot more mileage in this thread...... now we have all seen under the bonnet and chipped in with our comments it's up to the manufacturer to either take them on board and tidy things up or leave things as they are.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #208 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
So then it's comes back to persecuting him for having sound shipping practices as well, this is really rich, the guy is in an absolute no win situation with you people. IMO it's a wonder he's even responded with the tar and feather type of attitude that's being shown.

I applaud him for his shipping practices.

No one is "persecuting" Mikhail. This view mystifies me. People are just commenting on the quality of the assembly. I've said before that Mikhail could easily turn these doubts into a win-win situation by just taking a little more care during assembly, and then turn the level of build quality into a selling point.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #209 of 275
Quote:

No one is "persecuting" Mikhail.

Far from persecuting, this thread can only go toward helping Mikhail to improve his design. People have commented on the way his amp is put together, some of the comments have been extremely constructive and others not so. Any manufacturer who avoids / ignores constructive feedback does so at his peril........ it's all about what the customer wants, and in this case what the customer "expects"........

Oct 20, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #210 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
Lol, I don't know if you could have picked more ironic examples. Columbus was wrong and in denial, and Edison outright stole from Tesla and was in every way outdone, even though he managed to weasel his way into fame.

jesse

You know what I meant....perhaps I could have used other examples, but I knew that most Head-Fier's could get the jist of what I was saying.

Everything statement can be torn apart...just talk to my ex-wife!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back