inside pictures of a singlepower mpx-3
Oct 20, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #166 of 275
Regardless of headfiers point of view due to the internal construction of singlepower amps I feel this will have a lasting effect on singlepowers amp regardless of sound quality, price, reliability, reputation. The fact that "nice guy" mikhail will publicly not respond and clarify matters with singlepower amps owners and non-owners just IMHO does nothing to help. While sceptics continue to be sceptical and singlepower owners doubting their purchases over construction issues. For me personally I would never open up any amp because I don't have the technical knowledge or skill. How do I know what the inside of my GSP solo or earmax PRo looks like. For all I know it could be better, or worse. Would I still buy a singlepower???? I would still probably would. I would still consider other amp manufacturers as well.

But besides all this malarkey it is creating a not-so-pleasant atmostphere among various headfiers. I feel this is a shame because most of us got on reasonably well before this incident. But this issue of construction has divided us headfiers. Can I get a sensible answer on why if you didn't build it and I know that I didn't build it, are starting to sling mud????? If you don't like the build then fair enough but it doesn't give you the right to get nasty on a opposing view, they did nothing wrong just voiced their opinion. This is only my opinion and believe me I have already had enough trouble with construction issues before. Kindest and sincerest regards.

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #168 of 275
I'm very thankful for this thread and I hope it gives a potential buyer ALL the information they need prior to pulling the triger on a purchase. Had I seen this prior to purchasing my PPX3 I would have questions about it prior to taking the plunge. It is upsetting that people get upset over this, but the facts(pictures) are here for everyone to see and until I hear otherwise(hopefully from Mikhail) these are legit pictures that can help a buyer make an informed choice.

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #170 of 275
This thread has turned sickening and has exposed that head-fi community is not just made of mild mannered, well behaving people, like I once thought..

So, from now on, 'for the sake of public education' would these mud-slingers open up head-fi gear of all makes, and educate us potential buyers about the beauty and hence implied safety of the gear in question??

If not, please put an end to this boisterous activism... Let us be civil and let Mikhail defend himself..

Oct 20, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #171 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Scarlet
Speaking as a professional engineer and having submitted products for approval and worked through the approvals process, IMHO I would think it very unlikely that any accredited approval engineer/test authority would consider the construction techniques acceptable to even consider starting to apply the prescribed tests of a particular standard. The "easiest" test would be IEC/CSA/UL 60950 (IT equipment which will eventually incorporate audio) and I would advise the manufacturer to obtain the standard and work through it. It is about 450 pages long. The emphasis is on SAFETY in all aspects. Creepage and Clearance (electrical strength) is probably going to be a problem with this layout: For example, demonstrating in production that insulation distances can be maintained. One of the many other things tested is heating, and going on the pictures alone I would suggest components should be laid out taking into account temperature rises above ambient in all possible locations of use (i.e. Las Vegas - Nevada Desert area gets very hot). Please do not take European CE self certification lightly - things do not need to go wrong to be investigated. A jealous manufacturer could simply report it to Trading Standards (don't look at me - I'm not a tell-tale). The penalty for the person bringing it in to the EU in order to sell it is, (or it was when I was CE rep for a UK manufacturer) £2,000 plus 6 months imprisonment. It is not a civil matter but a criminal act to be in breach of CE. At least by demonstrating safety through the approval process you have a good line of defense. Also consider that Canadian dealers are inspected at random - anything which is to be connected directly to/or involving high voltages (and that means valves I'm affraid) not carrying a valid CSA or UL certificate leads to an on the spot $5,000 fine and confiscation of all the offending apparatus. It has been rumoured that the USA is to follow suit. As for DIY that's a different story, but kit manufacturers would be advised to check their obligations. Just friendly advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Wasn't so difficult after all to answer my deleted concern of so long ago....
wink.gif

Thanks. Very useful.

And for those who are still debating about the «internal look» or the «battle of the clans» I have two words for you: INSURANCE CLAIM....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #172 of 275
I've held out long enough.
I have owned Mikhail's original Supra, and based on wiring pictures in Hirsch's review, we knew it looked like a science project with Cadillac tail wings, and that's what intrigued me to buy it, besides the fact that so many people had spoken so highly about the sound characteristics. That amp brought me hours of musical bliss. Mikhail did everything in his power to make me happy, including going to the post office at midnight (yes, Denver's main P.O is open at that hour).
I then bought his first Maestro ZR, that was at the November NY Meet, and have heard almost every amp on the market, and still think that it sounds as good as it gets, as I also think with Ray Samuels' amps.
Ray's amps are built with an anal need for perfection and his circuitry is a marvel to look at. All of his resistors and components, would easily pass inspection at a boot camp line up.
However, as I have said to my 93 year old grandmother for the last 40 years, we cannot live our lives always worrying about what "might" happen in the future. Many OSHA certified businesses have burned down, or exploded, and many sweatshop firetraps have lasted since the great depression. Mikhail spends 18 hours a day building amps that sound damn good, and he guarantees them for 7 years (the Maestro, anyway).
I have spent at least 5 hours that could have been spent, listening to music, on the phone with Sony, and AT&T, trying to right the wrongs of their products, to no avail. I was treated with callous and un-empathetic problem solving, mostly sounding like they were robots reading from scripts. I won't buy from them again. I will buy from Mikhail again.

Bottom line- If you really feel that SinglePower's amps are 2nd rate and will catch on fire...don't make them your vendor of choice.
If you bought one and are sending it back before you receive it, then this thread has been a poison pill to you.
If you like what you've heard and see what you think is "mad scientist" wiring, then remember that people chastised Thomas Edison and Columbus, and buy one. It will be music to your ears.

The other half of my house is Ray Samuels amps, BTW.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #173 of 275
Immtbiker.. thanks for the calming words..

If only people could put the theatrics aside and vote for Single Power amps with their wallet, things would be much better around here..

On a related note, I would like to mention one curious peice of news I heard this morning..

Apparently, a guy bought a new Toshiba TV/VCR/DVD combo TV, and lugged it home, and turned it on.. Within no time, his house was swamped with emergency rescue units.. The reason.. his TV was giving out transmissions on the international SOS distress signal frequency.. That guy was prohibited from using the TV ever again, or risk going to jail !!!

So much for standard compliancy !!!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

(The above story is true.. and has been reported on ABC news this morning in the San Jose area)

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I've held out long enough.
I have owned Mikhail's original Supra, and based on wiring pictures in Hirsch's review, we knew it looked like a science project with Cadillac tail wings, and that's what intrigued me to buy it, besides the fact that so many people had spoken so highly about the sound characteristics. That amp brought me hours of musical bliss. Mikhail did everything in his power to make me happy, including going to the post office at midnight (yes, Denver's main P.O is open at that hour).
I then bought his first Maestro ZR, that was at the November NY Meet, and have heard almost every amp on the market, and still think that it sounds as good as it gets, as I also think with Ray Samuels' amps.
Ray's amps are built with an anal need for perfection and his circuitry is a marvel to look at. All of his resistors and components, would easily pass inspection at a boot camp line up.
However, as I have said to my 93 year old grandmother for the last 40 years, we cannot live our lives always worrying about what "might" happen in the future. Many OSHA certified businesses have burned down, or exploded, and many sweatshop firetraps have lasted since the great depression. Mikhail spends 18 hours a day building amps that sound damn good, and he guarantees them for 7 years (the Maestro, anyway).
I have spent at least 5 hours that could have been spent, listening to music, on the phone with Sony, and AT&T, trying to right the wrongs of their products, to no avail. I was treated with callous and un-empathetic problem solving, mostly sounding like they were robots reading from scripts. I won't buy from them again. I will buy from Mikhail again.

Bottom line- If you really feel that SinglePower's amps are 2nd rate and will catch on fire...don't make them your vendor of choice.
If you bought one and are sending it back before you receive it, then this thread has been a poison pill to you.
If you like what you've heard and see what you think is "mad scientist" wiring, then remember that people chastised Thomas Edison and Columbus, and buy one. It will be music to your ears.

The other half of my house is Ray Samuels amps, BTW.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #174 of 275
immtbiker, excellent post. Not that you were looking for a pat on the back. However, this thread looks like a witch hunt, whether intentional or not. Think what you want about Singlepower amps, but I don't know anyone that would question Mikhails credibility. From what I can tell he has been nothing but a upstanding member of this community. I've met him and spoken to him and doesn't deserve this. Anyone has a right to question the build quality of any product, especially if they bought one or are thinking about buying one. However, if you are going to question it, doesn't make more sense to start with the manufacturer. Especially, when he is as accessible as Mikhail. Honest criticism is certainly appropriate but this thread has been nasty at times. It is as if there are different agendas being played out in this thread. Maybe, I just don't get it. It wouldn't be the first time. As I've said before why would Mikhail or anyone else in his position try to explain himself in this thread where he appears to be guilty until proven innocent. Call him, email him, be civil, and I think you might get a response. Just my two cents.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #175 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
remember that people chastised Thomas Edison and Columbus

Lol, I don't know if you could have picked more ironic examples. Columbus was wrong and in denial, and Edison outright stole from Tesla and was in every way outdone, even though he managed to weasel his way into fame.

jesse

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #176 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion

However, this thread looks like a witch hunt, whether intentional or not. Think what you want about Singlepower amps, but I don't know anyone that would question Mikhails credibility. From what I can tell he has been nothing but a upstanding member of this community. I've met him and spoken to him and doesn't deserve this. Anyone has a right to question the build quality of any product, especially if they bought one or are thinking about buying one. However, if you are going to question it, doesn't make more sense to start with the manufacturer. Especially, when he is as accessible as Mikhail. Honest criticism is certainly appropriate but this thread has been nasty at times. It is as if there are different agendas being played out in this thread.

Before you begin to call me Van Elsing I just want to point out that participating in conspiracy theories againts any members are not my way of doing things.
My way is to ask strange questions like: is this product safe? Is it true that an amp like this, I could include many more from all over the place like our beloved PPA, could represent an insurance problem? And then some secondary but practical considerations come into play much later like the durability, the servicing, etc.
I have seen like you the storm about this topic and I know how I would react if I was the SinglePower boss. But I'm not. We have transformed a right to reply into an obligation. Not sure if it is a good thing in general, probably not, but security wise it's certainly something worthing of some sort of encouragement.

Amicalement

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #177 of 275
I’d like to address the questions that you all have.

First, we warrantee and will service any of our amplifiers against anything that might happen to them. The fact is that VERY rarely we have any issues with our amps. The bottom line is that nearly all of our customers are very satisfied with the products that we produce.

The vast majority of our customers are people who appreciate superior sonic qualities. When they come to us to purchase an amplifier, they expect us to make a product which will satisfy their desires for this. Their primary concern is with the sound that they will hear and not with the looks. Our methods of point to point construction, parts selection, and layout are to achieve this goal. The inside appearance may not appeal to you, but the end result of the quest for sonic excellence is what you hear. It’s not easy to do this type of point to point wiring that improves the sound. Many component leads are twisted and soldered to one another to eliminate any extra solder joints or extra wiring between parts that degrades the performance. We’ve been through the various development phases and have found that increasing wire lengths and bundling wires together does degrade sound and increases the noise floor. Next, our amplifiers are nearly 100% star grounded. So, many of wires that you see are individual return paths to ground. These are spaced so that the pattern of the ground returns that come back to the star ground do not interact with each other.

The other important factors are that most of our customers request a specific sound and custom configurations that require different parts, which vary greatly in size and shape. We adapt our layout to accept these changes. All of our parts are mounted securely.

Why are so many people happy with our products? The answer is that our products do sound better than anything else on the market, according to our customers. This is an art, and for those who don’t understand, this is the way we achieve superior sonics. It is a process that is difficult and requires much testing and work. When you have a chance to hear our amplifiers, you will hear difference.

I’ll be checking in to this thread to answer more of your questions later as I have time.

Thank You,
Mikhail

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #180 of 275
So much tension in this tread, a little smile couldn't hurt!!
biggrin.gif

Mikhail,
Although I have not purchased any of your amp but all I can say to you is they sound awesome. Keep up the good works!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back