Injured bird
May 4, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #77 of 90
Even in the best of circumstances, raising an injured bird is very labor intensive and time consuming. They have very high metabolisms and need constant nourishment and heat. Heat? Yes, when they're sick or injured they cannot maintain their high body temp so you have to do it for them.
The best thing to do with injured wildlife is to give it a merciful death or just leave it be.
My wife and I have nursed numerous birds and other wildlife when we had the time and facilities. We no longer do it at all.

May 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #78 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
idiot.

Better to be a prat AND an idiot than someone who'd deliberately let a bird suffer. As for not knowing how you looked after it, get real, the photo and refusal to get it help shows us exactly how you looked after it... idiot. And could you at least try to be more inventive? You use the words 'idiot' and 'prat' in several of your 20+ posts a day. Either cut down on your posts, or find new nouns.

May 4, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #79 of 90
If you're going to take in a sick or wounded animal, you assume responsibility for it. Contacting a wildlife rescue operation is far from unreasonable. You don't have to get involved, but you have to be responsible if you do.

May 4, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you a vegan? Go around letting loose all chickens, turkeys, ducks, sheep, cows, rabbits on farms designated for the slaughter? You don't drive a car because you may hit a animal on the road?

No so don't give me holier than thou attitude.

You'r double stupid, i tried to help you and bird (both you are sentient beings) and you firstly asked for help! Don't you understand that with this attitude you soon lose support from anybody... what did you want to say with your sentence: "Go around letting loose all chickens, turkeys, ducks, sheep, cows, rabbits on farms designated for the slaughter?" Are your nuts, that you are talking this way to me, on what background?? Is swallow designated too 'for slaughter'.

Yes i'm vegetarian for nearly 40 years, but i don't ask from you what illness yu have/will have, because i don't want to hear anything from you.

May 4, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #81 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going to take in a sick or wounded animal, you assume responsibility for it.

I would disagree. Once finding about the implications, putting it back where you found it is perfectly acceptable.

May 4, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #82 of 90
Um...I'm not trying to inflame the thread more than it already is. But to defend both sides, we in fact do NOT know how iriverdude took care of the bird. Maybe he tried to take care of it the best he can, maybe his situation doesn't allow him to take the bird to the welfare center, etc.

Of course, we also do not know what actually happened, maybe iriverdude is just some cruel psychopath that likes to torture little bird.

My point being is almost none of us actually knows iriverdude and his situation at the time. The bird has passed away, let's just leave it at that for now and stop all this pointless war. Whatever you guys say, what do you want iriverdude to say? "Sorry, I am cruel." Would that justify whatever happens?

Again, I am not defending any sides because I do not know what actually happens. Let's just move on and hopefully the next time an injured bird comes our way, we know what to do better than before this thread existed.

May 4, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #83 of 90
It's probably fair to say that it wasn't an especially good idea to post this thread in the first place knowing that the story might have something less than a happy outcome.

--Jerome

May 4, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #84 of 90
In before the lock.

This thread has been officially disturbing... on both sides.

May 4, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #87 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call the local wildlife rescue place, no matter the time. They're usually staffed by volunteers and will respond to you at odd hours. I had to call one a couple weeks ago to get advice on the latest nesting hummingbird - had to have some work done on the house and didn't want it to interfere. Here's a photo:

DSC_0005.JPG

This is about as close as I can get (with the Nikkor 70-300mm) before she flies off.

Off-topic, but very nice photo Uncle Erik!

Edit\ Goodness, just read the rest of the thread. Ouch.

May 5, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #88 of 90
to be fair swallow was probably always gonna die, its such a small fragile bird wih such a picky diet

even most pigeons die after hitting a window, and if it was medicaly sick, particularly unlikely to survive

May 5, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #89 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmednInsane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um...I'm not trying to inflame the thread more than it already is. But to defend both sides, we in fact do NOT know how iriverdude took care of the bird...

The issue is he has no experience in dealing with injured birds.

Think of it this way...

If you came up to me after being shot in the arm it would not be a good idea for me to say "Let's just put a band-aid on it. It'll be ok." since I have absolutely no medical training other than cpr... and even that was in high school.

I work in post production... so I imagine the playing ground would be even if I did the same thing. Out of your element with disastrous results...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back