Injured bird
May 4, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #46 of 90
It didn't take too fondly of being in a box after a hour or so. It was more comfortable being able to look out of the box, and sit on the shoe. It walked over to me and jumped onto my hand. Also I had to give it some water as it was quite hot.

May 4, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #47 of 90
did you at any point attempt to, or actually make contact with any kind of animal welfare or rescue centre?

I take it by your refusal to answer this question, or indeed the same question by several others in this thread that you didn't?

So you found an injured animal and for two days you took pictures of it and played with it until it died, most likely of fear and shock?

May 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #48 of 90
If birds legs are hot (during standing, not lying/sleeping), then it has fewer and it needs some med. and water (to avoid dehydratisation) which can take temperature little down, but it's just secondary solution, because primary solution is to cure disease, not just take temp. down (suggestions for future, you know)

May 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #49 of 90
Well giving it water wasn't one fraction of what it needed apparently. You didn't pay one bit of attention to all the urgings to take it to a shelter asap. It seems like you put up this thread for your own amusement here, and I have to agree with mbriant- howcome you even asked for advice if you were just going to try to have the bird for some sort of pet, to the cost of its life. I find it troubling the lack of respect for a living thing that was shown.

It's official now, to me you'll always be the 'swallow killer'.

May 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #50 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'...' until it died, most likely of fear and shock?

That wasnt this case, bird is newer coming to you, if it is shocked or feared. But it could come to you, as last resort or hope.

May 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #51 of 90
Quote:

That wasnt this case, bird is newer coming to you, if it is shocked or feared. But it could come to you, as last resort or hope.

We're not talking about trained, comfortable-around-humans pigeons, we're talking about a completely wild, injured bird. How many wild, injured birds have you ever had jump onto your shoe or onto your finger?

May 4, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #52 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're not talking about trained, comfortable-around-humans pigeons, we're talking about a completely wild, injured bird. How many wild, injured birds have you ever had jump onto your shoe or onto your finger?

How come you, as i mentioned, i started with wild injured blacbird baby and all my pigeons are wild (city) pigeons, whom i take care because they are all injured or ill (including non-fullyrecoverable virusinfections)

May 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #53 of 90
some 20 will stay with me (with virusinfections), till their life is going on, other pigeons i release when they are fully recovered (i have released already about 50 pigeons to wild)

May 4, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #54 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If birds legs are hot (during standing, not lying/sleeping), then it has fewer and it needs some med. and water (to avoid dehydratisation) which can take temperature little down, but it's just secondary solution, because primary solution is to cure disease, not just take temp. down (suggestions for future, you know)...

This is exactly why he should have sought help for it instead of wasting precious time posting photos of it and making unfunny jokes about how he squashed the tick and not the bird. I posted a phone number for him to call so that he could find somewhere local in his area to either take the bird for treatment, or at the very least to get some advice. He didn't even acknowledge it.

Call me cynical, but other people offered lots of useful advice too and most of it was ignored, with the only 'update' being 'RIP little birdie' and a photo of it propped up against his shoe while he snapped yet another photo of it. That bird could have been given a chance, and it wasn't. This whole thread stinks because the only people who seemed to care about the bird were the people posting advice, and not the person in possession of the bird who had plenty of time to take photos of it - but not to get help for it.

May 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #56 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is exactly why he should have sought help for it instead of wasting precious time '...'

thats true, because birds typically are dying very quickly, if they dont get help and small birds typically die in starvation too if they dont eat (smallest young bird even during one day)

May 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #57 of 90
Quote:

I keep 40 pigeons and one blackbird,

Perhaps it's a language problem, but I took this to read that you have 40 pigeons. Are you saying you have 40 injured/sick pigeons? EDIT: Your explanation above was posted as I was writing this.

My point was that pigeons are used to being around people. Many become domesticated, held by humans, and trained. Even city pigeons are used to being around and fed by people. Wild swallows are not. You can walk right up to pigeons and they won't fly away. They'll waddle around right at your feet. You can't do that with swallows. Even the link you provided regarding injured birds, says to put it in a paper bag and immediately call experts.

I"m not in any way criticizing your attempts to help, but in this case, when the person asking for help, unlike yourself, obviously doesn't know about how to care for injured birds, isn't it better to follow the standard advice of seeking professional care so experts can see and address the problem, as opposed to spending hours on a website getting snippets of information and advice on what might be wrong with the bird? AFAIK, and from the others who gave the same advice, #1 on the list when dealing with an injured animal of any type is to handle it as little as possible, offer it water, keep it still and sheltered and in a quiet place, and contact a vet or shelter asap.

What bothers myself and others, is that this advice was completely ignored and disregarded.

May 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #58 of 90
Quote:

either take the bird for treatment

yeah because throwing the bird in a bike panniers will kill it... :-/ Being that's in bank holidays, and not a rare bird, and unable to get there I cannot do much. If it were a owl, BOP or other rare bird I'd done more.

Quote:

It's official now, to me you'll always be the 'swallow killer'.

Lol acting as I squashed it with a rock.

May 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #59 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it's a language problem, but I took this to read that you have 40 pigeons. Are you saying you have 40 injured/sick pigeons? EDIT: Your explanation above was posted as I was writing this.
You can walk right up to pigeons and they won't fly away. They'll waddle around right at your feet.

They are well adopting for different living circumstances, but they are wild, try to catch one, if you can!

Even the link you provided regarding injured birds, says to put it in a paper bag and immediately call experts.

That was first link what i could find in english

... standard advice of seeking professional care ...

sure, one of my best friend is animal (veterinary) doctor, but in case of birds we help each other 50:50 (his side are just medicamental and surgery suggestions)

SO

May 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #60 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats true, because birds typically are dying very quickly, if they dont get help and small birds typically die in starvation too if they dont eat (smallest young bird even during one day)

I know. That's why I get help for them as soon as possible. I also keep my cat in at nights to reduce the amount of birds he gets hold of, and my vet does the same thing with his own cats. Birds get injured all the time, sometimes they can't be saved, sometimes they can.

All I know is that it took about 24 hours for iriverdude's swallow to die. That's time which could have been used to get help for it, and instead of taking any notice of anyone, he just left it to die. Maybe the time he spent snapping pics of it to post in this thread could have been better spent dialling a help number.

- iriverdude
The next time you find an injured bird, please don't create a thread about it and then wait 24 hours for it to die. Either get help for it, or don't. But don't post updates on it while it's dying, especially if you have no intention of seeking help for it. It's just cruel. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back