Injured bird
May 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #17 of 90
Young birds (dropped from nest) sometimes don't know how to find (or recognize) food and how to eat (bird mother or father is feeding mout-to-mouth). So give your best.

May 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 90
Quote:

It's sunday so I presume they'll be shut.

Try anyway. Most wild birds don't handle the stress of being manhandled well ... especially when injured. Unless you really know what you're doing, an animal rescue organization is likely it's only chance for survival.

May 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #19 of 90
I wouldn't worry about food or water unless you plan to keep it long-term and nurse it back to health. Maybe it just flew into a window and needs an hour or so to recover? Cover its box and leave it for a bit; see if it gets better. Otherwise you will just stress it out. Wild birds aren't built to take a whole lot of stress.

May 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 90
I started with my birds with very young blackbird - could'nt fly and did't knew about eating and with severe skin problem. No problem, just calm down and do your internet research, maybe you find some nonprofit organisation phonenumber (sometimes with private numbers), so you can get some quick info.

May 3, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's sunday so I presume they'll be shut.

I take injured birds to my local wildlife hospital which is open 365 days a year. If you call them now on 020 8647 6230 (the line is manned 24/7), they should be able to give you a number in your area. Be really careful about handling the bird. I usually put a large Tupperware container over it, and a piece of card under the container, and kind of gently slide the bird in without touching it. They can die of shock if they're handled so be extra careful and please update this thread when you have more news.

Oh, and make sure you cover the container (loosely), but securely enough to stop the bird making a bid to escape once you're in the car. The last one I took to the hospital had been 'played with' by my cat, and he was barely conscious when I found him. But he came to life on the way to the hospital and knocked the lid off. Luckily I managed to close my windows before he flew out, but it was a close call.

EDIT:
That phone number is an emergency number outside of normal hours, but regular Sunday hours are 8.00 - 20.00 anyway, so you can just call and ask for a local number.

May 3, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #23 of 90
Whatever med pros say, take the positive information and forget negative. I rescued by myself many birds, which pros recognized as 'very soon gone' (birds with severe broken head and wing damage) and they are still alive and in wild.

May 3, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #26 of 90
Call the local wildlife rescue place, no matter the time. They're usually staffed by volunteers and will respond to you at odd hours. I had to call one a couple weeks ago to get advice on the latest nesting hummingbird - had to have some work done on the house and didn't want it to interfere. Here's a photo:

DSC_0005.JPG

This is about as close as I can get (with the Nikkor 70-300mm) before she flies off.

May 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #28 of 90
Tree swallows primarily eat flying insects, though they also eat plant materials (about 20% of their diet) including bulrushes, bayberries, and other plants' seeds.

May 4, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #29 of 90
The fact that a bird isn’t flying doesn’t necessarily mean that the wing is broken.
The bird may be sick or injured in some other way. A broken wing will hang differently from the other wing, lower or at an awkward angle. It may drag on the ground. If the wing was broken recently, it can usually be fixed. Before working on the wing, look for any open wounds. Wash the wound (I used a heavily diluted iodine solution) OR you can add a little salt to some warm water). If the bird has an infection, it will need to be on antibiotics. (ask from veterinary med)

May 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #30 of 90
Raw hamburger is great for them. Mom used to take care of a trail full of bluebird boxes and on occasion we raised a young one, usually when a snake got the parents. We would put some raw hamburger on a toothpick and shove it in and they would swallow. You can try some seed but it may be too nervous to eat, also try a little peanut butter as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back