Injured bird
May 3, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 90
Feed it some wild bird seeds, and get some bird grit from a petshoppe, its really cheap.
Wheat bread and low sugar grain cereals are also good. Fruits,vegetables....just leftovers from dinner.

Im sure exactly what type of bird it is. Im in the USA, and we may or may not have that type, but birds with that beak type all eat the same.

Worms from outside, crickets, are also ok to eat for them.

Those birds need grit to help them break down food. Even though they sell grit for parrakeets and parrots, its just a marketing sceme to get an extra bit of money out of you at the sale. Parrots do not need grit, but wild birds like the kind you found,do need it.

Also a bowl of water.

Good luck.

May 3, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just found a injured bird in the back garden what species is it?

The combination of the text and your avatar is just perfect.
evil_smiley.gif

May 3, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 90
Ouch! You should take care of him, little food through mouth and strighten his neck (sometimes you need to softfully-forcefully open mouth) - white bread, non-sweet yogurt and clear fresh water (first start with few drops) - and so many times a day, till bird can feed himself (drinking water must be too). Take immediate contact with some wildlife preserving organisations for help (birds can die quickly, if expertised med help is not available).

In addition you can give little amount multivitamins, some analgetic like Aspirin, Ibuprofen (pain killers), ginseng - but everyting in according to bird weight - so, if average human-person is 70 kg, and your bird is ... grams, you can calculate dosage - it's some 1-2mm size pieces of med (but it varies : look in medicament documents).

Sorry but your photo is unclear, take new one from side too (so that head is clearly recognizeable).

May 3, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 90
Looks like the tailfeathers are forked in the photo, which leads me to guess it's some kind of swallow.

EDIT: Like what he said. ^^

May 3, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 90
It seems to be swallow(by form of tale feather and peak), so i eats 'mosquitos' and small insects, but you can give very small pieces of meat too.
If not sure that it is swallow, then better change meat to curd cheese (UK), farmers cheese (US), quark

May 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch! You should take care of him, little food through mouth and strighten his neck (sometimes you need to softfully-forcefully open mouth) - white bread, non-sweet yogurt and clear fresh water (first start with few drops) - and so many times a day, till bird can feed himself (drinking water must be too). Take immediate contact with some wildlife preserving organisations for help (birds can die quickly, if expertised med help is not available).

In addition you can give little amount multivitamins, some analgetic like Aspirin, Ibuprofen (pain killers), ginseng - but everyting in according to bird weight - so, if average human-person is 70 kg, and your bird is ... grams, you can calculate dosage - it's some 1-2mm size pieces of med (but it varies : look in medicament documents).

Sorry but your photo is unclear, take new one from side too (so that head is clearly recognizeable).

Dont give it aspirin,you dont know the dose and also, if it has internal bleeding ,it will bleed to death.
confused_face_2.gif

Ginseng isnt going to do anything for it.

White bread is crap. I already said to feed it wheat bread. Why not just feed it plaster or cement mix?
confused_face_2.gif

Meat is ok in small softened pieces,if you have grit/sand for it....otherwise,no meat.

If you force his mouth, youll probably just stress it.

It doesnt need the yogurt unless it has very soft stool.

And dont tell him to straighten his neck. Maybe its injured and it hurt its neck. Touch it as little as possible. Stress will kill it before its injuries.

If you have any Bachs Flower essences, you can add a few drops of Rescue Remedy to its drinking water for the stress. I give it to my birds.

Definately contact a rescue organization, especially if you know nothing about birds.

May 3, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dont give it aspirin,you dont know the doseage and also, if it has internal bleeding ,it will bleed to death.
confused_face_2.gif

Ginseng isnt going to do anything for it.

White bread is crap. I already said to feed it wheat bread. Why not just feed it plaster or cement mix?
confused_face_2.gif

If you force his mouth, youll probably just stress it.

It doesnt need the yogurt unless it has very soft stool.

And dont tell him to straighten his neck. Maybe its injured and it hurt its neck. Touch it as little as possible. Stress will kill it before its injuries.

If you have any Bachs Flower essences, you can add a few drops of Rescue Remedy to its drinking water for the stress. I give it to my birds.

Definately contact a rescue organization, especially if you know nothing about birds.

I keep 40 pigeons and one blackbird, so don't tell that i'm wrong (if you want to help you need to start help quickly and my suggestions are working in this case for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back