Initial Impressions of the Fostex HP-A8 DAC Amp
Dec 15, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Welcome to the HP-A8 bandwagon! It's actually quite a decent DAC/Amp. What firmware are you on?

Thank you :)

I upgraded to 1.31. I wish it would remember which source I was listening to when I powered down. 

Having spent a bit more time with it I am pretty impressed. There is texture in the music that I missed before with other gear. For the first time ever I am questioning if I need to "upgrade" my music instead of my equipment as its picking up such subtleties that I am worried the MP3 format has impacted on.

Anyways Im really enjoying it and think the money spent was worth it. (I went from Violectric V100 & NFB3.2 combo).

The Violectric has more power, but I would not want to listen to music at such loud volumes.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Thank you :)

I upgraded to 1.31. I wish it would remember which source I was listening to when I powered down. 

With Firmware 1.31, I think you can function it to remember now.  

In the MENU command, select Sub Menu "--> IN/VOL MEM".  The "Default" is "Disable".
Then you either choose "Input, Volume or Input+Volume".  Now your HP-A8 can recall the last source or volume level as well.

In addition, I prefer the sound from the change of Digital Filter to "MINIMUM DELAY" and Master Clock to "XTAL" (external clock in HP-A8 or TCXO).  If anyone has never changed anything from "default" setting, highly recommend you to try!

Have fun ^^

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

With Firmware 1.31, I think you can function it to remember now.  

In the MENU command, select Sub Menu "--> IN/VOL MEM".  The "Default" is "Disable".
Then you either choose "Input, Volume or Input+Volume".  Now your HP-A8 can recall the last source or volume level as well.

In addition, I prefer the sound from the change of Digital Filter to "MINIMUM DELAY" and Master Clock to "XTAL" (external clock in HP-A8 or TCXO).  If anyone has never changed anything from "default" setting, highly recommend you to try!

Have fun ^^

Cheers for the tip. What am I looking for with the Digital Filter & Master Clock? I've changed it and it's not immediately obvious to me (i.e. kinda sounds the same!).

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #34 of 45
thanks for the tip jimmy

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #36 of 45
i had just pulled the trigger on this dac/amp and currently pairing it with HD800
the sound blows away all my portable set up

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #39 of 45
I bought the hd800 and the hp-a8 a few months ago... amazing, this is my first dive into audiophile equipment, coming from an STX soundcard and dt770 before. I've never heard anything else to compare to though.

Stunning!!

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #40 of 45
  I bought the hd800 and the hp-a8 a few months ago... amazing, this is my first dive into audiophile equipment, coming from an STX soundcard and dt770 before. I've never heard anything else to compare to though.

Stunning!!

I wonder if used with a HD-800 what amp gain setting you're using.

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #41 of 45
Just got the Fostex in and I really can't complain... I just wish it would play .DFF & .FLAC files via the SD card slot but hey... I just have to re-encode using dbpoweramp...

Methinks I'm going to take it to work and use it there without connecting to my office computer...

I may have to get another to keep by my bedside...
wink_face.gif

All in all a very liberating experience... CUT THE CORD!!!!!

P.S. Don't mind the dark Oppo HA-1 in the pic... The SoundStage on the Fostex made it close up shop for the time being...

Peace...
L3000.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #42 of 45
  Just got the Fostex in and I really can't complain... I just wish it would play .DFF & .FLAC files via the SD card slot but hey... I just have to re-encode using dbpoweramp...

Methinks I'm going to take it to work and use it there without connecting to my office computer...

I may have to get another to keep by my bedside...
wink_face.gif

All in all a very liberating experience... CUT THE CORD!!!!!

P.S. Don't mind the dark Oppo HA-1 in the pic... The SoundStage on the Fostex made it close up shop for the time being...

Peace...
L3000.gif

Any comparison between the oppo and the fostex? I don't know through what heaphones you hear them though. I am more interested pairing them with the HD 800

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #43 of 45
  Any comparison between the oppo and the fostex? I don't know through what heaphones you hear them though. I am more interested pairing them with the HD 800

The Fostex is at work..... I'll bring it home and saddle up the HD800's... Hard to beat balanced output but I'll give her a twirl...

SE to SE the Fostex might win but Balanced to SE might go to the HA-1 Methinks...
blink.gif

Peace...
L3000.gif

May 25, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #45 of 45
I still haven't had a chance to compare the two due to moving to a new house. The HA-1 has been at my friends house for the past 5 months.
What I just did discover is how (non sonically) nice the HP-A8 is at night. I've seen and heard of tubes glowing but methinks the Fostex throws some serious lighting in a dark room! I'm in my new house running the HP-A8 via SD card and WOW!!!

1. Load up an SD Card
2.Grab the remote
3. Hit the lights
4. Enjoy the SHOW!!

P.S. For an even better trip put the HP-A8 next to a wall and enjoy the digital spectrum she throws....

Note: All of the above requires the room to be as dark as possible...

Peace...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back