Ingrated Amplifier for Grado Sr80i
Aug 13, 2011 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pranjith1993

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys
I am currently looking for a Ingrated Amplifier i.e NAD,Cambridge or Rega for my Sr80i. I am currently playing my Grado's through the Headphone socket of my MSI laptop. The files that I am playing are high-res Flac and Wav files, Aslo had planned to buy an external dac .i.e cambridge dac magic or acram r dac to connect my Ingrated Amplifier, My budget is 600 dollars (Aus).

Thank You

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 9
The Grado sr80i is sold for $100, getting an amp and a DAC that costs up to $600 together seems like over kill to me. Unless you plan to upgrade your headphones later. You can get a tube amp with DAC at one third of that price.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 9
Upgrade to an MS-2i before you consider buying all that expensive gear. 

I used to run SR-225's out of a Gilmore Lite but I found it to be overkill... 

As for the DACMagic, I feel the Audio Gd NFB-12 and Matrix Cube are both better dac/amps for the money. Also the RCA's on my particular DACmagic I was listening to were not that good, so that kind of left a bitter taste.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 9
Another less considered part of the chain is the actual recording quality of the albums you play. Without a doubt a poor recording on a great rig will still sound poor, just less so. A good recording on even a moderate system is certainly going to bring-out the best in the system. Aside from that, I have to concur that speakers/headphones are one part of the chain that can dramatically improve the sound quality and as such the SR60i is a nice set, but it won't be up to the task of really improving your listening experience beyond a point.

If you like the Grado sound, and many do, consider the SR225, espescially if you can get a used set. The consensus seems to be that of the SR range the 225 is the best value for the money and can be far more versatile than only a rock can. I had my 225s for more than two years and loved them. I listened to jazz, some electronica such as Thievery Corporation, Chemical Brothers, Peter Gabriel, Tool, Rush, Holly Cole Trio .... and found the 225 to be very capable. I would strongly encourage you to invest in your headphones first as you are most likely to benefit from such a move far more than any other move at this juncture, IMO only of course.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Some suggestions on headphone amps with a dac I was also considering the schiit Audio (asgard or valhalla tube amp). The files I am listenning to are good flac and wav recordings. I am planning to upgrade maybe after I finnish year 12, heaps of studying. But the problem is in Australian there are not many hi fi stores specalisting in headphones when compared to the USA and UK.

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Some suggestions on headphone amps with a dac I was also considering the schiit Audio (asgard or valhalla tube amp). The files I am listenning to are good flac and wav recordings. I am planning to upgrade maybe after I finnish year 12, heaps of studying. But the problem is in Australian there are not many hi fi stores specalisting in headphones when compared to the USA and UK.

I live in Australia as well, hard to find Grados in Australia. I'm guessing that you plan to buy a really good amp/DAC and use it as you move to higher end headphones. If that is the case then  go for it, provided that you have money for the headphones. ($600 AUD amp/DAC can drive most headphones on this planet)

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 9
I am in year 10 and have saved up $500, I was planning to buy a good dac and amp combo ok. I was thinking fiio e7 and e9 combo for the timing as it pretty cheap to compared to the others. And I have no plans of upgrading until after year 12.

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 9
Your in year 10 as well? How are you finding the math? Hard as hell for me 
triportsad.gif
 If you don't plan to upgrade until year 12, then a cheaper amp/DAC combo + a better headphone should work better for you. IMO with out amps, a headphone is not performing at its fullest potential but upgrading headphones would almost always result in the biggest improvement. 

Good luck on finding the right set of equipments 
atsmile.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Yea doing good in maths thanks alot for you advice and help Parall31 and those who contributed to this. I think the fiio e7 and e9 combo should do fine for the thinking. 

Thanks Heaps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back