Info on the "aune" USB DAC/Amp
Jun 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #47 of 71
Jul 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #48 of 71
I was rolling op-amps in my Aune again and noticed something I did not know before.

The op-amp in the LPF/DAC position (opa2134) is not used for amplifying the analog in. Makes sense, since it is for the DAC section after all. I even tried running the Aune with that op-amp removed completely, and it worked fine in analog mode. In digital mode, it will still run without the op-amp but the volume will be much softer. Maybe a little noisier? (I'm guessing the LPF is meant to filter out noise. But I did not really bother to test it in detail.)

So now that I'm using a separate DAC with my Aune, I can only pick just one op-amp. I'm so torn on having to choose between OPA627, AD744 and ADA4267-1...

In other news, the Aune will not run with the headphone section's op-amp removed. Also, the Aune will shut itself off if it overheats. Found that out while running it outside of the metal enclosure, having placed it on a wooden table instead.

And finally, how do you pronounce "aune" anyway?

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #50 of 71
Has any one ran this with a AKG 701/2 if so how does it sound and does it power it enough. Also does this have ASio support without having to use Asio4all. As I need it when I use a musical creating program.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #51 of 71
May be a stupid question and wrong forum, but I'll ask anyway. If I connect my active speakers to RCA out, does the volume knob also control the speakers' volume and not just the headphone output?

On another note, is there some other DAC/amp you would recommend for both headphone and active speaker use?

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #52 of 71

Quote:
May be a stupid question and wrong forum, but I'll ask anyway. If I connect my active speakers to RCA out, does the volume knob also control the speakers' volume and not just the headphone output?

On another note, is there some other DAC/amp you would recommend for both headphone and active speaker use?

The RCA out is a fixed line out, not affected by the volume control. It's meant to be hooked up to a headphone amp, pre-amp, or integrated speaker amp.

If you need a controllable RCA out, maybe try the Audinst or Maverick D1. They cost more though. uDac will be the cheaper option.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #54 of 71
I got mine from Coolfungadget on ebay, his name here is JTam. Shipped it to me from China to Chicago in 4 days. 

I may have one for sale, PM me.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #56 of 71

I built it so here are the some estimates for parts:

Cheap plastic box: $6
Fused IEC: $3
20v Transformer: $12
Misc connectors and wiring: ~$10
Tanget THREAD: $20 shipped.

Total: $51

You can also get a good regulated wallwart that is between 15V-18V DC and be done with it for around $30-40 USD.

There is a long thread in the board about this amp linked in my sig.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #57 of 71
Has anyone compared this to the Xonar Essence? and if so what are your thoughts?

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #59 of 71
i used the Xonar Essence  ST for 3 or 4 months. tried lots of mods but never found happiness.
then got the Aune mk2/LE. recapped with elna, burson regulator @ 18v. burson opa & clock.

after a couple hundred hours, it sounded fantastic with my fairly revealing stereo system.
you couldn't give me another sound card.

ps: in any event, the burn in process is well along at 100 hours. after 300, pretty much stabilized.
very natural sounding dac, i'm very happy with it.

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #60 of 71
Thanks for your reply.  You mention using the devices with your stereo system.  Were you not using headphones?  The Essence is more suited as a headphone card as the amp goes through the headphone output and not the line output.  Just curious.

Looking to make a new purchase within the next couple days.  I'm eye balling this Aune or maybe holding out for the Audio-GD NFB12.

Quote:
i used the Xonar Essence  ST for 3 or 4 months. tried lots of mods but never found happiness.
then got the Aune mk2/LE. recapped with elna, burson regulator @ 18v. burson opa & clock.

after a couple hundred hours, it sounded fantastic with my fairly revealing stereo system.
you couldn't give me another sound card.

ps: in any event, the burn in process is well along at 100 hours. after 300, pretty much stabilized.
very natural sounding dac, i'm very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back