Info on the "aune" USB DAC/Amp
Oct 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are more impressions in the dedicated sources subforum as well. Seems like a top choice for a combo dac/amp around $150. FWIR probably a better headphone amp than the one that comes on the Zero, plus you can roll opamps.

Yup, this is the link.
Also about turning it up full volume: Check the dc offset of the headphone output, just to be safe. Mine somehow is way too high, i might've fried my opa2134 i can roll new opamps tomorrow and i'll measure it again.

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #17 of 71
I'm thinking of buying the Aune as well. My question is since the Aune doesn't have an on/off switch, how do you turn it "off"?

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #19 of 71
Alright. Thanks for the clarification. It's not too big a hassle. Looks like I'm ordering it then.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #20 of 71
If you were using the USB connector to your MacBook, you were listening to the PCM 2702 DAC and not the PCM 1793 DAC that you get with the coax connector. That will make a big difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently bought one, I didnt really like it because using it with my macbook pro made very little difference. Using it with an mp3 player was ok though. I talked to shasty who also has an aune and is very staisfied with his. He told me that what made the a huge diference was using an 18volt adapter instead 12 volt one supplied. He also changed opamps. Unfortunately I returned mine before trying this.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #22 of 71
So for the best sound, instead of using the USB in, one should use a USB to coax converter to the Aune to utilize the PCM 1793? Isn't there sound degradation from the USB to coax adapter?

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #23 of 71
The PCM270* chip is used to convert the USB signal to I2S, then the PCM1793 handles digital-analogue conversion. The I2S implementation is very good in this DAC - I actually prefer the USB input to the Coaxial.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #24 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by proximo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were using the USB connector to your MacBook, you were listening to the PCM 2702 DAC and not the PCM 1793 DAC that you get with the coax connector. That will make a big difference.

Not really. The pcm270x is just used as an usb receiver. It outputs i2s signal(still digital) to the pcm1793 dac. Either way, the D/A conversion happens inside the 1793.

Also, check the pictures here. There's a 24V psu there!

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #26 of 71
You can, in fact, order this DAC-AMP with a power switch/on-off button for an extra $10.

Personally though, I was a bit disappointed with this little amp; due to their limited functionality, these devices (including the Aune as well as other small USB DAC-AMP devices) should really be considered merely external sound cards for your home computer that also happen to have a jack for your headphones and a volume knob.

Though I have not had my Aune for very long, and there may still be a great deal I need to learn about this device, I am disappointed by the inability to use it as a pseudo mini-receiver. This beautiful little device would be an excellent piece if it were possible to plug in both a pair of headphones and a set of bookshelf speakers, but the stereo line-out on the back of the unit is not powered by the amp, and to make this a practical setup you would need another small amp to power the rear line-out.

Additionally, consider the impracticality of the inputs on the Aune. Now, it is possible that I have simply over-looked something in haste, but I don’t see that it is possible to run something from the RCA (rear line-in) to the headphones, so the listener has only two options: USB or S/PDIF (coaxial). Let’s assume that the USB line is connected to the user’s home computer: this is fine, but what other devices can a person hook up to this unit? Few devices really use coaxial audio these days (meaning that most DVD players, video game systems, and even TVs have abandoned coaxial digital audio in favor of TOSLINK). A digital optical input would have really been a better choice for this device (for connectivity reasons only), or at least a decent mechanism for importing analog audio.

Personally, I only use this device as an external sound card for my home computer; it works fine for playing my lossless audio files over my headphones, and since that is what I wanted it for, I am satisfied with the unit. However, if someone first looks at this device and thinks, as I initially did (perhaps foolishly so), that a person could hook this up to a computer, another device (such as a Playstation or something), and switch back-and-forth between inputs, or switch back-and-forth between speakers and headphones, he is likely to be disappointed. I would love to see a unit exactly like the Aune that simply has better connectivity options; there are, of course, a wealth of devices which can perform all the tasks to which I alluded, but I like the look and feel of the Aune so much, that I find myself disappointed by what it could have been.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #27 of 71
To use the input from the rear RCA to the headphones, you just move the little switch on the front from D to A. It's one of the main reasons I chose this amp. That is, if I'm understanding you correctly.

So on D, you have the option to switch between USB and SPDIF, and on A you are receiving the signal from the RCA inputs on the back, for a total of three possible inputs.

It comes with an adapter that allows you to run RCA out from the headphone jack, and you should be able to control volume this way. Not sure if that would help with your speaker issues, but I don't think this amp was really made much for speakers in the first place.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #28 of 71
Quote:

So on D, you have the option to switch between USB and SPDIF, and on A you are receiving the signal from the RCA inputs on the back, for a total of three possible inputs.

I hoped, and somewhat suspected, that I was mistaken in my accusation that the Aune didn’t play the rear line-in through the headphones. I can only assume that my unit is defective; I’ll have to open it up and take a look.

On a somewhat unrelated note: my potentiometer (volume knob), moves roughly; meaning it feels like it grates against the metal rather than moving smoothly. Have you had any such problems, Squid?

Also, just to clarify, I don't really need to hook it up to speakers, I was just thinking that it would be a nice additional feature; though I suppose shelf speakers aren't welcome on this forum.
k701smile.gif

UPDATE: Turns out that my RCA-style input/output was installed incorrectly. Since I wasn't really looking to use this feature, I just assumed that the Aune didn't (for some strange reason) port the stereo audio through the headphones; it does of course: my apologies to the Head-fi community. I do, however, still stand by my original statement about the coaxial connection; for better or worse, TOSLINK is just more commonplace.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #29 of 71
Regarding the volume knob, perhaps the knob is just too close to the faceplate. Try unscrewing the knob, slide it out a very little bit, and screw it back in.

I also would've preferred optical. Perhaps coax was chosen because of cost issues or maybe it was easier to add and market as an extra feature.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #30 of 71
If i link my i-pod with a LOD--> RCA cable, witch DAC will work, the i-pod one, the Aune one or both ?
In other words is that the good way to convert and amp the signal from an i-pod ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back