Info on the "aune" USB DAC/Amp
Jan 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #31 of 71
you will be using the iPod DAC. The LOD sends an analog signal to the amp which was already been converted in the iPod.
It'll amp the line signal, but it won't use the DAC in the aune.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #32 of 71
Will this drive 600 ohm Beyer dt990 (2005)'s?

Also, will the DAC sound better playing the same mp3 file from a computer vs an ipod touch 3g?

Thanks for the help.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #33 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you will be using the iPod DAC. The LOD sends an analog signal to the amp which was already been converted in the iPod.
It'll amp the line signal, but it won't use the DAC in the aune.

Thanks for your answer.
But is there a way to "bypass" the ipod dac with an external one ?
What's the quality of the ipod's dac in comparison of the aune's one ?

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #34 of 71
I believe the only way to by pass the ipod's DAC is with a device like a Wadia iTransport.

Personally, I can't tell the difference between listening to MP3 files off my computer run though USB to the Aune's DAC vs. Ipod out to the Aune's RCA inputs.

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #35 of 71
Hello there,

I'm wondering if its possible to use the rear rca outputs when you use optical/usb. There is a A beside the rca outputs so it is confusing me when i look at the picture.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #36 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojoooo0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello there,

I'm wondering if its possible to use the rear rca outputs when you use optical/usb. There is a A beside the rca outputs so it is confusing me when i look at the picture.

Thanks

RCA at the back always outputs usb/spdif depending on the USB/Spdif switch position, disregarding A/D switch position.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #38 of 71
First time poster here... I am considering picking up one of these to build a grad student budget, super compact, all-digital system to replace my current full yamaha system connected to an m-audio 2496 pci card (all my music is on the comp now and I need the space).

Potential Setup:
COMP->USB->AUNE->Grado SR80s
COMP->USB->AUNE->RCA OUT->M Audio AV40s or Audioengine A5s

Questions:

1. Some people say Grados are "harsh" and I have also read that this unit is a little "harsh". Anyone try this combo? I have always loved the way Grados sound...

2. Since the AV40s have their own volume control, that shouldn't be an issue (since the AUNE output volume is fixed), but do you miss having any EQ knobs on the amp? Or what would be a good digital EQ option to replace the hardware EQ I am used to?

Thanks a ton! Lots of good info in this thread.

May 18, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #39 of 71
I just got one of these and it won't let me change the bit depth and sample rate any higher than 16/48k, when plugged in via USB.  Is this the way its supposed to be or is this a computer side trouble?  Thanks.

May 19, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #41 of 71
And most music available is 16/44.1 anyway.

May 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #42 of 71
Most recording is, but I have a few SACD rips and sometimes do recordings at higher sample rates.  What would be a relatively cheap way to go from a Macbook Pro to spdif coax then?  Could I use the optical out from the headphone jack?

May 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #43 of 71
Sure, why not. Afaik you're limited to 24/96 kHz max on MacOSX, with Windows drivers up to 192 kHz.
Why do you want to use coax on the other end?

May 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #45 of 71

Quote:
Most recording is, but I have a few SACD rips and sometimes do recordings at higher sample rates.  What would be a relatively cheap way to go from a Macbook Pro to spdif coax then?  Could I use the optical out from the headphone jack?

I've seen many optical to coax converters, some very cheap, but almost all of them are limited to 16/48. Some options for 24/96 spdif coax on a Mac are:

USB -> coax
  M2Tech HiFace - $150
  Teralink X-2 - $80 (on eBay, search for: native 96k usb)

optical -> coax
  M-Audio CO2 - $48 (on Amazon)

Anyone have any others to add? I too am itching to get 24/96 out of my Aune. But I'm currently still too cheap to spend on any of the above for this purpose. Probably get a bigger bump in sound quality by getting a regulated linear power supply instead. Or even rolling a genuine pair of OPA627 in there (costs about $50).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back