Inexpensive Soundcard/DAC for headphones
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zelaxe

New Head-Fier
I have bought the Sennheiser HD598 and I'm using it combined with the integrated sound card on my motherboard. I want to buy an external soundcard or DAC since I'm already using all of my PCI/PCI-E slots. The furthest I am willing to go is around 100USD unless there is some significantly better but not too much more expensive option. I have looked at the Musiland Monitor 01 US and there is an upgraded 2012 version listed on ebay, can anyone recommend? Many thanks for any advice. If it helps my music taste is classical music and death/black metal. Otherwise it will be used for gaming and movie watching, I have no need for it to be portable.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
I have bought the Sennheiser HD598 and I'm using it combined with the integrated sound card on my motherboard. I want to buy an external soundcard or DAC since I'm already using all of my PCI/PCI-E slots. The furthest I am willing to go is around 100USD unless there is some significantly better but not too much more expensive option. I have looked at the Musiland Monitor 01 US and there is an upgraded 2012 version listed on ebay, can anyone recommend? Many thanks for any advice. If it helps my music taste is classical music and death/black metal. Otherwise it will be used for gaming and movie watching, I have no need for it to be portable.

The Musiland Monitor is an external DAC/Amp that does not offer any surround sound for movies or gaming.
I would say give it a shot and post a detailed review on it.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 10
I might give it a shot, considering the previous version seemed to have good reviews. Not having surround sound is a bummer though, is there any other option (Creative X-Fi HD USB?) in the same pricerange that offers surround sound and decent audio?

Me writing a review would probably not help many people, since I have no experience or reference in audio.

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
I might give it a shot, considering the previous version seemed to have good reviews. Not having surround sound is a bummer though, is there any other option (Creative X-Fi HD USB?) in the same pricerange that offers surround sound and decent audio?

Me writing a review would probably not help many people, since I have no experience or reference in audio.

As the Sennheiser HD598 is only 50-Ohms, should work with just about any external sound card.
The Asus Xonar U3 is only $40.

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 10
Me coming to my senses realizing I don't need superhifiaudio made me go for the Xonar U3 since I don't really listen to a lot of music anyways. If I should upgrade in the future I'll probably go straight for the o2+ODAC combo which everyone seems to love.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: I found the Creative X-fi Go! (non-pro) for the same price as the Xonar U3, it should be better, yes?

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Me coming to my senses realizing I don't need superhifiaudio made me go for the Xonar U3 since I don't really listen to a lot of music anyways. If I should upgrade in the future I'll probably go straight for the o2+ODAC combo which everyone seems to love.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: I found the Creative X-fi Go! (non-pro) for the same price as the Xonar U3, it should be better, yes?

I would assume at $40 the Creative X-Fi go is a good value.
But i really do not know the details on the X-Fi Go.

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 10
You may want to look at the HRT Headstreamer.  A bit more upscale in price but nice sounding for $139.  I have reviewed it on my blog and in my opinion it does a better job with music than the emu- boards I have used in the past.  And they were much nicer sounding than the Creative cards at the time.  And it should have good resale should you decide to upgrade again in a few years time.

cheers

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 10
O2 + ODAC is a good choice for the price.

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 10
I would go with the Xonar DX and call it a day. It's a great sounding card and you can find them with rebates all the time making it a good deal. The 598 is efficient and wouldn't need something like an o2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back