indeed G2
Nov 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #16 of 86
I think I have the older version of this Indeed preamplifier. It easily competes well with other amps that are $700+. space saving, cheap, sweet tube sound.... Pretty much everything you are looking for.

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 86

Quote:
I think I have the older version of this Indeed preamplifier. It easily competes well with other amps that are $700+. space saving, cheap, sweet tube sound.... Pretty much everything you are looking for.

There is another Indeed thread with pics of the Gen 1 Indeed, that also has some great tube and modding info. There is also info at Rock Grotto forums.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #18 of 86
Great info here. Looks like this would be a great first step into tubes for me.  I was on the fence about it until now, and just like my cars and computers, I will be modding it!

I do have one question before I buy the G2.  Do you guys think pairing it up with some 600ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 would be a bad idea? Or is there plenty of power?  Thanks. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 86

Quote:
I do have one question before I buy the G2.  Do you guys think pairing it up with some 600ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 would be a bad idea? Or is there plenty of power?  Thanks. 

It will easily drive the 770s. Welcome to Head-fi... Sorry about your wallet.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #20 of 86

Thanks for the info.  I was on Ebay tonight looking and notice there are 2 variations of the Indeed G2.  I see one that has a  6922 EH tube made in Russia, and the other seems to have a 6N11 tube from China.  If it were you and you were going to run the DT 770 600ohm cans, what which one would you get?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Quote:

It will easily drive the 770s. Welcome to Head-fi... Sorry about your wallet.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #22 of 86
Has anyone had a chance to try G2 out with Sennheiser HD 5x5/5x8 headphones?

I just bought 598's yesterday, and even though I like the clarity a lot, something seems to be missing.. Or then I'm just too used to the 525 sound. Listened those grandma's for over 10 years :)

Trying to decide between E9 and G2.. (If my receiver (Denon AVR-1909) gives the signal out from line-out, when it's feeded to it via HDMI. Waiting for answer from Denon to that question)

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #23 of 86
Yep my station is Imac >> Nuforce UDac 2 >> Indeed G2 (6N11) >> Sennheiser HD598.

I felt something was missing too when I started listening to the HD598 from the UDac 2's headphone out, despite almost unanimous positive reviews of the UDAC 2 and all the '50ohm headphones don't need an amp' comments.
It just sounded too 'sterile' which is still okay for some genres (vocal, classical, jazz, ...) , but it couldn't produce the schwung and impact for blues, rock, dubstep, ...

The G2 improves many aspects (detail, lows and highs) with the most noticeable difference being a warmer, more dynamic sound and 'rounder' bass.
It makes the Senns sound more musical, they sound great to me now.

If the E9 is comparable to the UDAC 2, you may encounter the same issues I had with the HD598.
Don't forget that the G2 doesn't have a DAC built in, it's an amp only!

Cheers
B

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #24 of 86
Thanks for reply!

E9 is also an amp only, no DAC included. I'll be using my AVR-1909 as a DAC if it can give signal out from RCA line-out when fed via HDMI, or, if not, I'll buy E7 (E9's "partner" DAC) or some other DAC.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #25 of 86
Bacci, could you help me out a little more.. what is the model/version or your amp? Either I can't find it, or I have not understood something. I really know *hit about tube amp's and their tubes's :)

Is your amp some of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250756389577 (V1 deluxe, V2 or V3)

Thanks!

EDIT: Dang. 6DJ8, ECC88, 6922, 6N23P and 6N11 are all the same.. oh why keep things simple when you don't have to...

Jan 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #26 of 86
The design is similar, but I preferred the Indeed G2 over the Bravo v1, v2, v3 because the components are decent (Dale resistors, mosfet irf510, ALPS pot, ..) and it has great flexibility for tube rolling, thanks to the trim pots and 6v/12v valve switch. 
I find it unnecessary to solder a wire for measuring bias, simply holding the multimeter probes in the right spots is a lot faster.

Jan 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #27 of 86
I didn't even realize that there was difference between Bravo / Indeed products, thanks for advice :)

But now I'm even more puzzled.. just when I "learned" that 6N11, 6922 and 6N23P are basicly same tubes, I found out that there are amps in sale with all three of those tubes.. All with different prices (same seller, indeed-hi-fi-lab -> http://shop.ebay.co.uk/indeed-hi-fi-lab/m.html?_nkw=g2&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m270.l1313 )

EDIT: Does anyone know has there been a real auction of Indeed G2 in a long time, or is it possible to buy one only through "buy now" option?

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #28 of 86

Quote:
EDIT: Dang. 6DJ8, ECC88, 6922, 6N23P and 6N11 are all the same.. oh why keep things simple when you don't have to...

They aren't all the same, but they are comparable for the most part. Typically they can be used in the same circuits, but the sound of each variety is different from another. Not only that, each brand within each family typically sounds different from the other brands in the same family. Then again, each tube may be different from it's twin. Buy a few cheap versions and see for yourself.

Keep reading those tube sites. IMO, the 6n23p (at least those from the 1980s) is the best tube for the money in these amps, and the G2 is the best of these amps for the money out there.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #29 of 86
I rolled tube to an RCA 6201 on my Indeed G2, set heater switch to 12 and bias to 12,5/12,5. Sound is great, but the potentiometer now crackles when changing volume. 
Any idea what's causing this? 

Thanks for your help

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 86
Its not exactly a top quality pot.  Mine does that too.  If your're good at fiddly soldering you can swap it for a better one or maybe remove it and try to clean it.  That's about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back