Incase Sonic
May 20, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #61 of 134
Quote:
Wow really you guys? Hmm.

yes...take them for what they are un-amped.  They are naturally and a good unit, I enjoy them for what they are.

May 20, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #62 of 134
Yup, use them as is and unamped for the best SQ. They were designed to be used right out of the HP jack. And the sound is excellent. :)

May 24, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #63 of 134
A friend of mine picked these up and I can't believe people are talking about these like they are a good headphone....they are simply an afterthought accessory to go with an iPod or iPhone. They sound better than iBuds but IMO my old pair of beats solos even sounded better than these. 

May 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #65 of 134
Quote:
A friend of mine picked these up and I can't believe people are talking about these like they are a good headphone....they are simply an afterthought accessory to go with an iPod or iPhone. They sound better than iBuds but IMO my old pair of beats solos even sounded better than these. 

like many listener, you probably went into this expecting the wrong thing.  They are not beast "performance" headphones and if you go into your first listen looking for that you will be left wanting.  That's not what these are...

May 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #66 of 134
I will respectfully offer in return that there are far worse options, sonically, in the iPod accessory market. I even think there are worse options for phone-compatible headphones in iur target market space.

I think the best things they have going for them are build, aesthetics, feel/comfort, driveability and phone control. And price, when they are below $80. If I were the type to not sweat a $150 headphone, I think $150 would be a fair price considering competitive offerings like the Aviator and the M-80 and the respective trade-offs.

And yes, sound was not among the things I liked the best about these. I think that the stock sound will appeal to people who enjoy dynamic compression and wide boost of deep bass. In this way they remind me a lot of the Philips SHE3580, a dirt cheap IEM I picked up at Target during an "audio emergency" only to find out it's been gaining traction here on Head-Fi among bassheads, some of whom own "audiophile" IEMs. But back to the acoustic design of these headphones, what intrigues me about this headphone is that when I open it up and look inside, I can see where I can apply some techniques to address the shortcomings of the sound signature. Sure, I mentioned this quite a while back, and I haven't had them on my head except to take some phone calls* since then. But I encourage everyone who can get inside a pair of these headphones to try to change them into what you want. I think a lot is possible, and they won't be the phoenix that an $80 T50RP is, but even with its far more modest driver I think there is some alchemy that's waiting to take place.

* I was walking around during a long phone call with the cord running down my shirt to avoid snags. When I wear it like this,I have to pull the mic module out so it hangs just above my collar. A few times during the call, the mic would fall back into my shirt and remain there for a few minutes until I noticed it. At the end of the call i asked the guy if he noticed the voice quality changing. He said no. I don't think the happens with my Apple or generic headsets. I should try it with my Klipsch IEMs and again with my V-moda mic cable.

iPhone posting; typo city, I imagine.

May 24, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #67 of 134
^ Completely agreed.  I think the impressions of these have to be taken into context (price point, audience, likely location of usage, etc.).  I also think that they sound better in a loud(ish) environment or 'on the street' as is the case with many of these headphones.   To me, they definitely have a lot more going for them than other popular headphones in the price range, even at full retail.

May 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #68 of 134
I personally feel they just have a fun sound sig, and bass is the main flavor. But they definitely DON'T have a reference quality to them. I compare them to the Sony XB700's I used to own. But, the difference between these and the Sony's is that the music has way more clarity, and the mids & highs are still "there". The XB700's sounded muffled, while my Sonic's never do. I find these just a pleasure to listen to.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #71 of 134
Just ordered these from Woot.com for $65 including shipping. I would have been happy paying $75 for them. But at a 60% percent discount this is great, been waiting for these to go on sale for a few weeks now. Ordered the Primer Gray/Flouro Blue, hope there as nice as pictures. Wish I had enough funds to order two, maybe on sale later in the year if I really enjoy SQ. I have gotten in the habit of ordering 2 pair of headphones at same time over the years in case one breaks and I find a really great deal. Happy Listening.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #72 of 134
I am trying to order from woot but keep getting a server error???

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #73 of 134
I just ordered these from Woot.  I currently use a pair of Bose QC2's and hope this will be a nice change of pace.  I am in no way an audiophile so I hope these will work out.  My QC2's always eventually break (cheaply made) and so far this pair is still going strong *knock on wood*

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #74 of 134
Grab 'em!!! For this price they're a STEAL!!! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #75 of 134
Listening to these from the recent woot order.
I must admit, flipping them on Amazon for a tidy profit is tempting.

Need much more time to really determine how I feel about them.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned, and this will vary by ear, is that inside brightly colored part sits/rests on my ear.  A different feeling than my Panasonic rphtf600 or Sennheiser pc360.  They are comfy despite this, and I haven't found it to cause discomfort after an hour or two of listening.  Not hot like I would've thought, either.

They certainly have a different sound than the panny's.  It is pleasant.  Well I find both of them pleasant, that is.  Perhaps the Sonic tends to overemphasize bass, only on songs that are already suspect in terms of bass in the mix.  But I really haven't listened enough to make that determination.  And this doesn't take any EQ into account.

The build quality and design are stellar.  No question there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back