Incase Sonic
Apr 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #46 of 134

Quote:
I own the HD25-1 II, and I have the Sonics on the way. I'll give a brief opinion of the two after a few days listening to them. I'm also going to compare them to my Creative Aurvana Live HP's, as these are really rebranded Denon's (same Foster drivers - mine modded with foam inside the ear cup).

Thanks, can't wait to hear them! 

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #47 of 134
Ok, first assessment: the hd25-1 II is more accurate, and is more of a reference quality hp. It's not 100% accurate, but it's closer than the Incase Sonic. The Incase Sonic is a super FUN sounding hp. It's got booming bass, and the highs are pretty good - but forward. The mids needed a little EQ boost, but are still quite nice. This is a quite warm sounding hp.

As for comfort, they're really nice. It feels like I'm wearing ear muffs,...I like it. I think I'd compare the way they feel to the AIAIAI TMA-1 in a way,...but I like the SQ of these better. The TMA-1 lacked the clarity I require, these are nice and clear. I even like these a bit more than my Aurvana Live's,...and that's saying a lot.

Oh, yeah, speaking of the Aurvana Live,...even after I put foam in the Aurvana's the isolation sux. The Sonic's are MUCH better when it comes to isolation. I think they're on par with the hd25-1 II. I'll see if a day or two of listening confirms this.

So far, I luv 'em. But, I DID swap the cable for one WITHOUT the inline iPod controls. I'm using it with my Sony NWZ-A867, and the inline control is useless. I did try it out with my classic, and it works perfectly. And, my classic sounds EXCELLENT with it too!!!

I figured I needed to add that last bit,...:wink:

May 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #48 of 134

Quote:
Ok, first assessment: the hd25-1 II is more accurate, and is more of a reference quality hp. It's not 100% accurate, but it's closer than the Incase Sonic. The Incase Sonic is a super FUN sounding hp. It's got booming bass, and the highs are pretty good - but forward. The mids needed a little EQ boost, but are still quite nice. This is a quite warm sounding hp.
As for comfort, they're really nice. It feels like I'm wearing ear muffs,...I like it. I think I'd compare the way they feel to the AIAIAI TMA-1 in a way,...but I like the SQ of these better. The TMA-1 lacked the clarity I require, these are nice and clear. I even like these a bit more than my Aurvana Live's,...and that's saying a lot.
Oh, yeah, speaking of the Aurvana Live,...even after I put foam in the Aurvana's the isolation sux. The Sonic's are MUCH better when it comes to isolation. I think they're on par with the hd25-1 II. I'll see if a day or two of listening confirms this.
So far, I luv 'em. But, I DID swap the cable for one WITHOUT the inline iPod controls. I'm using it with my Sony NWZ-A867, and the inline control is useless. I did try it out with my classic, and it works perfectly. And, my classic sounds EXCELLENT with it too!!!
I figured I needed to add that last bit,...
wink.gif

Very interesting indeed.  Makes me even more eager to try them out.  I should be heading out to a local Incase seller in a few weeks so I'll be sure to try and demo and maybe even walk out with a pair of my own.  Thanks!

May 1, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #49 of 134
There's an HD 25-1 II sitting within arm's reach of me right now.  It's my wife's.  I don't listen to it, because the few times I tried it after I bought it I found it shouty and harsh.  If I thought I could stand the sig, I'd give it another listen and offer comparison.  I won't.

My incomplete impressions of the Sonic: man the bass really came in.  Early listens had me thinking the bass was extended but not booming.  Now it booms, and I find myself wondering if it's too much or maybe if I can dampen it.  I can't believe how bass-emphasized these headphones are, mainly because I had written them off as bass light.  I think they are pretty fast on snares and hats, surprisingly since they are not reference-grade headphones, though I'd really like to have a better listen to determine if that's really what I'm hearing.  Mids might be recessed a bit, or maybe I'm spoiled by mid-forward headphones, or maybe I'm just picking all the source material with mids mixed to the back.  Haven't put any particularly sweet music through them like I tend to do with orthos, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Like I try to make a point to say, my listening sessions are always glaringly imperfect.  My best listening is at meets, and I noticed my meet rig was cranked all the way up to drown out chatter, so you can see what I'm working with here.  My most attentive listening is done on foot commute in my neighborhood, with the trains and buses and what have you... yeah, poor me, right?

I actually thought isolation was poor during initial listens.  I definitely thought sound leaked out really badly, to the point where I began to reconsider that these would be my out-in-public headphones.  I've been out with them since, but not in quiet environments, so the few times I've tried taking them off and trying to hear them they passed the "a-hole with the headphones" test.

Comfort is king.  I did expect more from memory foam, and to be blunt there is nothing that I won't sweat in if I'm toiling or getting some exercise in, but the pads feel great to wear and I don't notice sweat, heat, or discomfort if I'm stationary.

I find the cable too rubbery, to my chagrin because I've always theoretically loved a very rubbery cable.  It's rubbery to the point of being stiffer than I'd like a headphone cable to be.  Limp noodle's where it's at.  This is not it.  I hope to find that it withstands abuse and all that though, so maybe there's a win in there somewhere.  And perhaps most of you won't have a problem with it.  I have two cables, both of them iPhone remotes, which bothered me because I figured having one iPhone cable and one audio cable would make more sense.  That's probably my fault for praying that an iPhone cable would fall into my lap.  Now they keep falling into my lap.  The trouble with tribbles...

I tried plugging in my V-moda iPhone cable for kicks.  It won't fit without shaving down the V-moda straight plug, or maybe just using some force.  I don't know if I'm ready for all that yet.  I might actually be more willing to shave out the jack on the Sonic.

Those are some short impressions.  Enjoy folks.

May 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #50 of 134
Update: the treble is wayyyyy hotter than I thought. I needed o EQ it way down. Now I see what the initial reviewers meant. The treble isn't sibilant either, just majorly overbearing. It can be fatiguing after a little bit of time - these are DEFINATELY an EQ lovers hp. The HD25-1 II is much better in the treble arena. They don't bother me at all. The Sonic's are HOTT!!!

Now, as for the isolation (slight update). Mine don't really leak sound, but I can hear outside sounds while listening to these. I guess my first assessment was incorrect. I can have a conversation with someone while wearing these. Even when the music is on I can hear my surroundings loud & clear.

Comfort is still excellent on these. I feel like (as stated before) like I'm wearing earmuffs. I'll try to see how comfy they are next week, when I take the bus & train back and forth to work. I think I'll have a set of sweaty ears.

Still, I'm going to keep these. After EQ'ing them down on the high end I like the very revealing sound. I really like them for HOME listening so far. Let's see (hear) what I encounter next week while traveling,...

PS: the cable I'm using as an alternative without the iPhone remote is a cheap 6' XtremeMac aux cable. And yes, I used a file to slim down the male jack to fit inside the headphones. Otherwise it was too thick. I forgot to mention that,...my bad.

May 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #51 of 134
Thanks for the update.

That's a few of you now saying the treble is hot.  I should find some brighter source material and upload it to my phone.  Or maybe I need to get these old ears checked!

Yup, putting these headphones on with no music, they're definitely letting a bunch more sound in than I'm used to with a circumaural.  Sound going in or out during use, though, has not been problematic in the slightest... yet.  I hear my music quite well without blasting it, no one's complained, and I can hear traffic when I'm walking the neighborhood.  Win-win-win?  Is that even realistic?

It's a matter of time before I start prying this thing open.  Maybe the treble-suffering Sonic owners might want to try getting a cotton ball (or three) in there.

May 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #52 of 134
Oh, the famous "cotton ball mod"!!! I'm in!!!:D personally, I do think hearing some outside noise while out & about will be a plus. The traffic is a PITA here in NY, and I don't feel like being a "smush" on a front hood.

But, the fact the treble is so hot means these are compatible with low bitrate files - they're very forgiving so far. Will I suggest going crap bitrate? No way,...but these DO make it possible.

The funny thing is, how can they be so clear AND so forgiving of crappy recordings? Maybe old age has caught up with me as well??? :p

May 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #53 of 134
With the driver facing you, grab the pad assembly and give it a counterclockwise twist.

Here's the back of the pad assembly.

Three screws and the baffle comes off.  I used a #00 Phillips.

This headphone may offer a bunch of potential.  Glue down the loose pieces, particularly the plastic tube where the overhead wiring comes into the cup (it floats!), dampen the cup, absorb some reflections, and perhaps the bass will boom less and the highs won't be so harsh.  Maybe also put some felt or gauze over the ear hole of the pad assembly to filter the highs.  Mass loading the baffle and improving the baffle-to-cup seal may also tighten the bass.  I think more can be done to better couple the pad assembly to the baffle, like caulk or Plasti-dip, also to seal the joints.  Just some thoughts offhand.  I may attempt some of these things after I've made this my primary for a few days and really gotten a better sense of what I'm about to change.

I just put this thing on my head without the pad.  Way bright.  Those gaudy green filters were doing their thing.  I feel like I'm getting more top end information though, so perhaps replacing the filter fabric may be in order for people wanting more treble detail.

Get in there, guys.

May 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #54 of 134
Hmm, a simple twist & 3 screws? I'll be putting some cotton batting in there by the weekend - these need the highs to be muffled a bit. I might even use some wall socket insulation - it's a closed cell foam that cuts quite nicely. And, it's a great sound insulator. I'm not sure if it'll kill the excess treble, but I'll probably find out.

Thanks for the breakdown with pics. Much appreciated! :cool:

May 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #55 of 134
These headphones need more respect.  The more I listen to them the more I love them.

May 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #56 of 134
JJ, can you break down your impressions with regards to your other headphones?  I see you have some of the more highly recommended budget cans.

Apologies if you've already done it.  I've read every post in this thread.  I also have a memory like a colander.

May 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #57 of 134
Hey guys, do you know if these headphones respond well to amping? I own these headphones but have never tried amping them before. I'm really surprised that that question hasn't been brought up thus far . . . seems like a pretty important question to me. These seem to me like they would respond well to amping but I just thought that I would ask.

EDIT: Let us know how that works out for you Lurkumaural! I might me interested in trying some of these things with my pair.

May 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #58 of 134
I own an amp or two, and amping does nothing for these cans. The things can get CraZy loud as is, and an amp is overkill. There's no need to amp,...a waste IMO,...

May 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #59 of 134
Quote:
Hey guys, do you know if these headphones respond well to amping? I own these headphones but have never tried amping them before. I'm really surprised that that question hasn't been brought up thus far . . . seems like a pretty important question to me. These seem to me like they would respond well to amping but I just thought that I would ask.

EDIT: Let us know how that works out for you Lurkumaural! I might me interested in trying some of these things with my pair.

they do not respond well to amping at all, especially bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back