In the quest of closed headphones for rock music!
May 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hellomoto

Head-Fier
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance to those who will take time to answer!!!

I'm finishing school this year, and I will enter what we call in France "Preparatory School", the problem (well, it not a real one) is that I'll be in the same room with another guy, we will be working a lot, and spending a lot of time together in this room, working together but also sometimes working individually. I really enjoy listening to music while studying, and I would like to buy a nice pair of closed cans.

My source is composed of a diyMod and a iBasso PB1 Toucan, going balanced is not a problem if it can help having better cans. I'm not planning any upgrade on my source for now, as I really appreciate the quality I can get from it. I'm a Grado Sound lover, and own and love a pair of Grado HF2, I really love them, but I won't be able to use them anymore, because they leak too much sound. I currently have Senn HD25 as closed headphones, but I would like to upgrade it, I like it's dynamic, but it sounds a bit too analytical to my ears, and much more enjoy the sound of my HF2.

I don't need isolation from outside noise, but I need cans that won't leak sound (less possible). I don't like intras, so I'd like to buy headphones.
I'm mainly listening to rock music, the Who, Stones, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Supertramp are 50% of my listenings, the rest is composed of The Doors, Capt Beefheart, Cat Stevens, Pink Floyd, pop music, and smaller groups I like.

My budget is around $200-$250, extensible if I can get real good headphones for more money (I mean headphones that will make a significant difference). I did not plane to sell my HF2 or SR80i, but I finally might go this way, and spend more money on these closed cans?

I hope there was no very similar topics, my search did not returns any very good choice for my needs, but my searches may have been wrong, I oftendon't use the best words!

Thank you very much for your help, and sorry for my English!

Antoine

May 5, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 5
The most leakless headphones I own/have heard are the AKG K271MkII. I listen to similar music to your self and so long as you appreciate bass clarity and detail as opposed to big bass THUMP, I would recommend them wholeheartedly.

May 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 5
I can definitely recommend the AKG's also, especially when you listen to more 'multi layered' music. Another suggestion, since you find your HD25 too analytical, is to try too buy a 2nd handed Denon D2000 (they will have the big bass though, but are very nice overall). They're closed, but do leak a bit. Nothing like Grado's though.

DT770 is also a fine option which isn't 'analytical' like HD-25, have good isolation, but I wouldn't necessarily consider that an upgrade from HD25 in full size usage (but I see HD-25 as a portable)

May 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 5
The AKG K241 MkII looks great, thanks for your help! Any other suggestions?

Thansks,

Antoine

May 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 5
How would the AKG compare to something like the Beyer DT770 (in terms of Grado like / forward sounding presentation for the music listed above)?

It looks like the 600ohm version has a decent frequency response if you have a powerful amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back