In search of new headphones...
Nov 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cad2blender

New Head-Fier
I have had a pair of Sennheiser HD-201 for a few years now and they seem to be on their last legs (excessive clipping and scratchy noise) and would like to find a better replacement. My budget is $40 and I am looking for some closed, circumaural headphones. I know that $40 isn't much and won't get me the most amazing cans but I would like it to be a decent pair to listen to music, anything is better than my stock ipod earbuds. I have heard good things of the Audio-Technica ATH-M30, are any of the JVCs any good? Thanks again.

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, I listen to any kind of music really, anything from classic rock to pop, to some ambient music. I'll usually have it plugged into my laptop, and occassionaly plugged into my ipod. 

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 6
I would look at the classified section on the forums you might get lucky but if you can stretch $30 more... the sony MDR-V6 sound great on mostly everything for $70. if you can find a pair used it'll be even cheaper

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 6
The JVCs are good options as well.  You may not know it but you can get some suprisingly good headphones in this price range.

Here a list for ya:

Denon AH-D372K, D310

Sennheiser HD202, HD218

Sony MDR-XD200, MDR-150, MDR-250

and for an open back option - Koss PortaPros

Now open back 'phones do not isolate sound at all, but generally they give you the best sound reproduction.  However, if you need the sound isolation then these closed options are not bad at all.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey thanks guys, I will look into those a bit more, I like the JVC HA-RX700 and the Audio Technica ATH-M30 headphones, does anyone had any experiences on them? I would rather have a pair that surround my ear and are closed, I just like the comfort/isolation of those type of headphones. Would all those listed be considered an upgrade from my pair of HD 201? Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back