In need of a bit of a volume boost?
Jul 18, 2012 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DancetoExpress

Head-Fier
I've been using my ATH-m50s with my iPod classic for a while now, and it's done the job for me for a bit. But what's bothered me for a bit is that for some songs, I have to simply turn my iPod's volume up a bit higher than usual. Should I invest in an amp of some sort? I've been looking at the FiiO E11 and I already have a FiIO L10 that I purchased to use my iPod in the car every now and then. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 8
I've been using my ATH-m50s with my iPod classic for a while now, and it's done the job for me for a bit. But what's bothered me for a bit is that for some songs, I have to simply turn my iPod's volume up a bit higher than usual. Should I invest in an amp of some sort? I've been looking at the FiiO E11 and I already have a FiIO L10 that I purchased to use my iPod in the car every now and then. 

If you feel full volume isn't loud enough then something like an E5 or E6 will definitely correct that issue. If you're purchasing an amp just so you don't need to turn the volume up as far then it's not entirely necessary.

However, we had a member who purchased an E11 recently for his ATH-M50, he was very pleased with the results. If you want to purchase E11 by all means that is the better amp though look into a shorter LOD like L9 for portable use.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 8
+1 to H20's comment

The E6 or E11 with an L9 would be best. FiiO currently has 3 LOD's that I would recommend. The L3, L9, L11. The L3 and L9 use HPC-22W wire from Oyaide Japan. The L1 uses something that isn't as "Good" I'm not a super cable guy but the price difference is in single digit dollars.(L10 as you know is for cars or theatre setups) The L3 is mainly for if your input plug is a bit ...weird or off to the side. The L9 is for ergonomic purposes and works well with FiiO's E11 and E17. (not so well with E5) 
The L11 is FiiO's new LOD. It allows the option for the user to charge their iPod at the same time while using it as an LOD. Previous LOD's from them didn't let this happen as teh Apple Dock connector was blocked by the LOD itself. IT also allows the user to purchase and use their own "higher quality" 3.5mm cable of their choosing and for even more ergonomically weird input's on external amps.

Pricing for the 3 ranges from $7 to $15 in the U.S. Please buy form Authorized dealer if you choose to get one. The LOD's do not seem to have a counterfeit problem(although fake L3's and others have been found) but buying authorized would enforce the trend and reduce passing on of counterfeit goods. 
http://fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

This site has all of FiiO's authorized dealers. Buying from Amazon does not guarantee legit. Many dealers on Amazon selling FiiO amps have been found by FiiO to be fake.

http://youtu.be/AdM-K8k5KMw

This is a video of mine explaining the LOD in depth.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 8
I thought iPod has a sound equalization option? It'll make all songs' volume same.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Yep it has that, called SoundCheck........ ...forgot about that.

ITs in your preferences menu on ITUNES (not on ipod)

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
But from what I read, the info is stored in the ID3 tags, which means it should be read by the iPod when synced, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back