In my case, should I buy a DT770?
Aug 12, 2010 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

niotio910

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been thinking about this question for a few days. I have a HD650 at home. I think it's good enough for me to enjoy the music from my laptop. My current home setup is:
Laptop - Dacmagic - Doge Tube - HD650.
I also bought a GS Solo II with a hope to replace the Chinese Doge Amp, but feel that it's more or less the same sound as the Doge's. The Solo has about 20 burning hours ATM. Maybe it will be getting better. So I'm thinking to keep the Doge at home and use the Solo together with the Ibasso D2 DAC in my office. I've searched around and found that the DT770 should be a good candidate because it's closed cans, has good isolation (high priority), and maybe good SQ. So here is the summary of 2 setups:
Home: Laptop - Dacmagic - Doge - HD650
Office: Laptop - Ibasso D2 - Solo - DT770

My point is that I want to enjoy good music both at home and in the office without any disapointment when switching between home and office. I don't have specially favorite music styles, but I feel that I often listen to Prog-Rock, Pop, RnB while I'm working, and I listen to Jazz, Acoustic, or some kind of soft music (not classic) when I'm at home.

Any opinion about the DT770 with this setup or other cans suggestion are appreciated!

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 22
As per usual, I suggest the Shure SRH840.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 22
SRH840 offers more mids  , while DT770 offer more bass . SRH840 does isolate well , I cant hear anyone talking, fans spinning around me
dt880smile.png

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 22
If you like your Senns, you may be happier with the Shures, as you might find Beyers a bit bright and cold.

The Shures have that slightly warmer sound as well.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 22
The only real problem with the Shure SRH 840 is comfort issues.

Really Shure needs to expand the headband more or work on overall fit.
Tons of width not much height.

Do you have to wear the Sennheiser 650 on maximum or lower clicks on the headband expand?
Or other headphones in general.

If you don't have to max out the fit on any headphones the Shure 840 might not be a problem in that area.

I have the Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohms. And with some albums the Shure SRH 840 sounds like a closed back version of it.Although the Beyer still sounds much better biggest SQ improvement just being open but there is other things as well.
Although with some other albums you hear more difference between the two.

I would assume the Beyer 770 is close to the other Beyer 880 just more bass and closed.
And a lot of people find the DT 770/880/990 the most comfortable headphones around.
$184.99 price tag on any ohm version of 770 is makes it a good consideration.
Really don't hear much about it but some say pretty balanced. Others say tons of bass.
Some say bass light. Its like the HD 650 tons of opinions on it.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 22
SRH840 is quite comfortable to me . My head is very big
biggrin.gif
, I need to extend the headband to it's maximum level , level 10 on SRH840 . The headband is tight on first 2 3 days , but the clamp force will be reduced . Now it rests on my head quite
loosely , when I shake my head in moderate speed, it will moves slightly . So it is a good thing to me, that it wont clamp my head tightly . The other problem is , people tend to feel they are quite heavy on their head . I felt the same too , but I get used to it already .

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 22
^are you serious?

I also have a massive head and have always found the srh840s to be unbearable after even 10 minutes of use. The clamping is just too much.

I guess I just have a super-sensitive head
frown.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 22
No, i do not recommend the Shure 840 for outside of the home use, even at the office.  They would look really goofy and id be really self conscious wearing them.  But if you are okay with that, then yes, 840 all the way.  If you want something more comfortable then the Dt770 is a good pick

really you cant go wrong with either, but i worry about cost on the DT770 since the DBI pro 700 is just as good and only 40$.  But, that ebay user who has them is gone now, so if they reappear, go for it.  DBIpro700 ftw

Id actually go for the Sennheiser HD448 in this situation. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
No, i do not recommend the Shure 840 for outside of the home use, even at the office.  They would look really goofy and id be really self conscious wearing them.  But if you are okay with that, then yes, 840 all the way.  If you want something more comfortable then the Dt770 is a good pick

really you cant go wrong with either, but i worry about cost on the DT770 since the DBI pro 700 is just as good and only 40$.  But, that ebay user who has them is gone now, so if they reappear, go for it.  DBIpro700 ftw

Id actually go for the Sennheiser HD448 in this situation. 

I wear my 840s outside all the time. I just laugh at people who stare since they have iBuds. It's a snobbish hobby, right?

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
^are you serious?

I also have a massive head and have always found the srh840s to be unbearable after even 10 minutes of use. The clamping is just too much.

I guess I just have a super-sensitive head
frown.gif

yes . I let it pre-clamp on a box which is slightly smaller than my head for 2 days . The clamp force did loosen, now its is quite comfortable to use. I wont wear 840s outside , it is very HUGE
gs1000.gif
! I prefer to stay low than drawing public attention
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 22
My best recommendation would be the Manufaktur DT770 600 ohm.
The 250 ohm consumer edtition is too bright IMO.

But a better closed companion to your HD650 would be the Kenwood KH-K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back