in-ears are makeing me crazy
Apr 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #31 of 34
Hi david8090. For some days long, I have been browsing for the same topic you are frustrated with. I also ended chosing between :

HiFiMan RE262 ~ VSONIC GR07 ~ Brainwavz B2

Than I had founded these, that eliminated RE262 from my list :

At the heart of the RE262 is still an impressively clean and quick dynamic driver with plenty of headroom – more so due to the 150Ω impedance and low sensitivity. Indeed, the RE262 is a power-hungry beast of an IEM – and one that drains the battery in my much-abused Cowon J3 in less than 8 hours when running unamped. Though still very impressive right out of the J3, I do feel that the RE262 benefits from a dedicated amp, sounding tighter, cleaner, and bigger with added power (more on that later)
Source : Multi-IEM Review - 162 by Jocker

I think you did enough research too, and you do already know the sound signature of all these offerings, but the thing bothering you is an direct A/B comparison between GR07 and B2, right ? Than here is it ! I Had found it :

So, I am damn lazy and finally...it's time to update a little bit.

I was comparing GR07 and DBA-02 side by side. This after listening to more sibilant things like Hippo VB, S4 and Crossroads Woody 2.

With recordings which had vocal sibilance, I can say that GR07 fared a little better. It actually turned out to be a little softer in presenting sibilance compared to DBA-02. At first, DBA-02 was winning by a margin and then suddenly, 'it' happened. Now, I have to say it's a matter of choice.

Briefly....

GR07 sounds more spacious due to the size of the sound stage.

GR07's bass is 'substantial' when compared to DBA-02, though GR07 is miles away from bass-head levels. It's more filled, textured, extended. Suffice to say, wherever there's bass, GR07 would score higher points.

DBA-02's mids are forward and due to the faster driver can present much more details when it comes to fast music. It's also, let's say 'sweetly colored' and sounds more natural. Where GR07 scores and scores heavily over DBA-02 is the texture. The guitar solos sound sweeter on GR07 at times due to the weight and texture it adds to the instrument.

Compared to bass, the roles are reversed in the case of treble. GR07 does present all details, but does not have the sizzle as in the case of DBA-02. This also comes down to recordings. If the recording already had elevated levels of treble, you'd choose GR07 over DBA-02. But in all other cases, DBA-02's lean, fast, brilliant treble scores over GR07.

Since many of the albums I own have vocal sibilance, I cannot avoid it. I am going to just lower the volume a bit and carry out more comparisons against GR07.
Source : esanthosh's review

Personaly, after had read this, and having already known that DBA-02 = Brainwavz B2 + extra sibilance, I've chosen GR07 !

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #32 of 34
hi. Thanks for you comment and It's definitely a good choice you made. however, it's just a matter of taste at these buds (You can't hear them before ordering.. that's the whole problem) 

Bud I have chosen for the Brainwavz B2 because of his pre order price. Its only $120 with discount coupon.

And VSONIC is more then $50 expensive.. 

A few days ago I opened a new thread with the final choice.. you can read there if you want. 
www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548786/the-final-choice/15

Brainwavz B2 seems to be pretty good for rock music, I red a review about these buds on MP4Nation's forum.

Please contact me in PM for another $20 discount on the BrainWavz B2 (http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=493&zenid=ac5edd707a958680b921a097827fad42)

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #33 of 34
david8090, glad to hear you've managed to get this discount.. I did not had taken the n4nation discount program in consideration from the very beginning, couse I had never made any purchase from them earlier.. Now you made me recalculate my final decision... But anyway, I do already own some crappy RE0-s (And yes, I did powered tham properly, but still find the lack of bass inadequate). I think, getting another earphone, sharing that sort of a sound signature won't make me happy enough, even a much better one.
One thing worth mentioning is, I do not listen rock that much, but I do like gothic / symphonyc metal, that tends to sibilant, because of poor studio mastering.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #34 of 34
Hi, My Klipsch S4 are nice with any MP3 player but Monster Jamz with foam tips and several hours burn in are really wonderful and available around your price range if you look around. Kusch has a 2 year warranty and Monster has been great for me when I've needed support. The Monsters have excellent punch if it's bass you're after and with the equalizer you can dial in what you like. I've used my Klipsch a lot and have had no problems with build even though you wouldn't expect it by looking at them and they are very comfortable. They're different from the Monsters which I prefer.  Happy listening.

​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back