In-ear for jazz and acoustic music??
Feb 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

lalle81

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I´m looking for a pair of phones for my iphone.
I listen mostly at jazz, acoustic music and some rock
I´m looking for a open natural/slightly warm sound with good midrange at first

Miles davis, Pat metheny, norah jones, daughtry, bryan adams...
What can you recommend in the pricerange of 150-180$

I´m curious on:

Q-jays
Fischer BDA-02 (maybe to bright for me?!?)
Ultimate ears 700

Is it worth the money to climb a notch to:

Westone 2
Westone UM2

Do you have other suggestions?

//lalle

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 24
Sleek SA6 would fit the bill.  Open, natural, and warm (deep insertion rather than shallow) are characteristics I would use to describe them, and they fit below your budget if you don't mind grabbing a used pair.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 24
Also consider Triple.Fi 10, RE0, Monster Turbine Pro Copper or MD Tribute, and RE252.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 24
Monster turbine pro copper seems very interesting!
Where can I find them to best price?

Is it safe to buy them used on amazon? Read some about copies that´s on ebay ans so on...

Just saw on ebay, Miles Davis tribute for $199, can it be originals or fake?!?

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 24
Hmm... someone's selling the Ortofon EQ-7 for $225 in the sales forum. If you can get a deal with the Ortofon EQ-5 , i'd get that instead.As I've heard that they don't roll off too much as its older  brother , EQ-7. But that's only what I've read , I've only had the EQ-5's and not the EQ-7's so I'm really not sure if they really are that similar. But in my experience, I enjoyed the EQ-5 with almost anything especially with acoustic/acoustic instrumentals as that's one of the main genres that I listen to.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 24
Coppers are all around awesome.
I think some people got the best price from giving onecall a call.  Ask in the MTPC thread.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 24
Imo the MTPG/MDs do a lot better for the type of music mentioned while the MTPC coppers fare better with faster electronic music. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 24
I was looking for IEMs with the exact same characteristics you want and narrowed it down to the Monster Turbine Pro Golds, IE7, and Klipsch Custom 3's. I ended up going with the IE7 and am very happy with how they pair with my jazz/acoustic library. They're warm/natural and have a great midrange.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
Imo the MTPG/MDs do a lot better for the type of music mentioned while the MTPC coppers fare better with faster electronic music. 

True, Coppers do well with electronic, but I prefer my TF10 for that more.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #13 of 24
e-Q5 is an excellent option and it is about 100 $ less then its elder brother e-Q7

P.S.Query Dimitri at MusicaAcoustics for headfi members' Special rate.. (if it is still available)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back