In Desperate Need Of Powerful New Cans... NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!
Oct 17, 2011 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

SoHo1080p

New Head-Fier
Ok first post.:

I've purchased several headphones prior but this is my first time doing it with "my eyes open".

I currently own a pair of Beats By Dre Studio headphones... I love Love LOVE The bass on them (yes another basshead). Problem is i hate everything else. I'm no audiophile, i love top 40 radio too much to be obsessed with sound reproduction but christ it has to get better than the beats for the price.

The bottom line is i want a pair of headphones that i can use with my iPod (w/Amp) that will give me the same if not better bass response. My preference in bass is comparable to that of a subwoofer  (I love a little shake). With an amp can anyone recommend any excluding the Ultrasone Pro 900's as they are outside of my price range. I've heard good things about the Ultrasone Hfi-780/2400's and also The Sony MDR-XB1000's if anyone has any feedback on these two it would be greatly appreciated as well, Thanx.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 23
Sony XB700 is cheaper than the beats and has better bass than the beats.

you could also try the Beyer DT770 PRO - 80 ohm, those things have ATON of bass.

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 23
the bass is great on them, it goes deep and hits hard compared to the mids/highs. the sound quality also is on a different level than the beats, so overall, they are a good pair of headphones that many people regard as one of the better ones at their price point.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
the bass is great on them, it goes deep and hits hard compared to the mids/highs. the sound quality also is on a different level than the beats, so overall, they are a good pair of headphones that many people regard as one of the better ones at their price point.

I can second this as I've just now worn them for so many hours and I'm not even feeling them on my head anymore lol.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I actually heard about the dt770's as well. When bass related people always refer to the Pro 80 ohm... why is that?

They're a pretty stellar big basshead can for the money. The 80ohm gets the nod when the 32ohm is not
available because they are somewhat easier to drive from portable devices.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
They're a pretty stellar big basshead can for the money. The 80ohm gets the nod when the 32ohm is not
available because they are somewhat easier to drive from portable devices.

Easier to drive? Geez that sounds technical. As i already stated, i am truly at the beginning stages of my journey LOL. Please bear with me. I assume by drive your referring to amplification... Would an E11 suffice? (Budget)

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Easier to drive? Geez that sounds technical. As i already stated, i am truly at the beginning stages of my journey LOL. Please bear with me. I assume by drive your referring to amplification... Would an E11 suffice? (Budget)

Sorry man, yep ~ eg, drive, power, make them push air etc ~ same thing.

E11 is a start for a portable, it will have enough juice, my only qualm with the E11
was a touch of graininess but again for the price - you can't nitpick with Fiio's offering.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Sorry man, yep ~ eg, drive, power, make them push air etc ~ same thing.

E11 is a start for a portable, it will have enough juice, my only qualm with the E11
was a touch of graininess but again for the price - you can't nitpick with Fiio's offering.

When I am ready for an upgrade (to take on the financial responsibility LOL)  which amp would you recommend?

Soooo I take it Sony just kind of falls short.

Has anyone tried the Ultrasone's? 

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
When I am ready for an upgrade (to take on the financial responsibility LOL)  which amp would you recommend?

Soooo I take it Sony just kind of falls short.

Has anyone tried the Ultrasone's? 

Worry about the headphones first and then pick an amp that will match..

Here's a quick example :-

Let's say you hit the jackpot and decide that you want to buy Sennheiser's flagship the HD800
and so you'd want a fairly awesome amp to go with it like a Violectric V200, SPL Phonitor
but let's say you bought an Ultrasone 580 instead? Those amps would be wasted on such
a headphone because it does need such amplification.

Ultrasone 580 is a sensational head phone, I prefer it to be Audio Technica M50, a touch warmer
sound but the bass is nicer for electronic and hip hop genres.

Sony make some nice stuff, it just depends ~ the XB500 & 700 are not bad basshead choices.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Worry about the headphones first and then pick an amp that will match..

Here's a quick example :-

Let's say you hit the jackpot and decide that you want to buy Sennheiser's flagship the HD800
and so you'd want a fairly awesome amp to go with it like a Violectric V200, SPL Phonitor
but let's say you bought an Ultrasone 580 instead? Those amps would be wasted on such
a headphone because it does need such amplification.

Ultrasone 580 is a sensational head phone, I prefer it to be Audio Technica M50, a touch warmer
sound but the bass is nicer for electronic and hip hop genres.

Sony make some nice stuff, it just depends ~ the XB500 & 700 are not bad basshead choices.

OK you've been really helpful & i'll stop asking stuff after this LOL... overall you would pick the which of all the aforementioned (including the 80 ohm's)?

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
OK you've been really helpful & i'll stop asking stuff after this LOL... overall you would pick the which of all the aforementioned (including the 80 ohm's)?

Beyedynamic DT770 80ohm with a view to getting a portable amplifier. Without an amp they can sound a little slow.

If on the other hand, I was never getting an amp then the Ultrasone 580 for sure.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 23
I really like my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm headphone, lots of great bass.
But I would not recommend them unless you have a headphone amplifier.

Save a few dollars.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S
Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour headphone pads
Total price $55-$60
(my HTF600s will arrive on Wednesday)

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), good price at Amazon.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #15 of 23
Since you already have a decent list of recommendations (and I'm not a basshead, so I couldn't recommend anything anyways), I just want to mention that your source plays a huge role in how things sound. You mentioned that clarity is a bit more important than a thumping bass. This might be obvious, but just to be safe I'm stating it clearly -- youtube rips and whatnot are vastly different in comparison to 320k MP3s, FLAC, ALAC, and all those other formats, with the latter being much preferred over the former.

Hope that makes sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back