In-Depth Comparison: Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitor & Noble Audio 4C (Wizard Design)
Nov 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #33 of 45
Wow. Admittedly I didn't read through every word of the review, but that is seriously one of the most well-written and informative posts I have ever read on Head-Fi before! How did you determine all of the impedance values for the various frequencies of each CIEM?

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #34 of 45
 when I saw the review starting with a quote from some apple guy I thought I was up for a long journey through hipster's clichés, and was ready to close the page. but happy surprise, it was actually a very interesting review with lots of interesting personal opinions, and also a lot of data and things to learn about both IEMs and companies.

all in all very nice read, thank you for posting.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #35 of 45
Well then there is the fact that the Noble 4C is $300 cheaper.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #38 of 45
Agreed and I wasn't implying that the UEs were bright as curves look nicely non peaky on top. Just relaying a personal preference of sig. Did I say Great Review?
beerchug.gif

Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Oh, the UERM can definitely be construed by people as "bright", but I doubt people would perceive that brightness in a bad way. Your JH13FP is definitely a great CIEM, and it deserves its own recognition for being so holographically precise in its imaging. That is one area where the JH13FP outstrips all CIEM models that I've ever heard thus far. When I heard the JH13FP, I felt it had a few treble peaks that I didn't like as much, but I have a feeling these peaks are de-emphasized when the unit is in custom form. That's why using a CIEM demo is only for a generalist idea of how the model sounds; hopefully people understand that when they audition CIEM demos.

This was an excellent review. You've put in a fair bit of dedication and passion into this review, and it clearly shows. It was a long read, but it felt more like a novel than a review. Well done, mate. 
smile.gif

Anyway, this review has me greatly interested in auditioning the Noble 4C. Think I might just do that soon.

Thanks. You can't go wrong with the 4C; it's just a pleasant listen and doesn't get perturbed at all. Keep in mind that most people find the Noble 4 universal (and I'm assuming the same for the 4C demo) somewhat peakier in the treble region than how almost all people that have the CIEM version (myself included)

Tom - as always, nice work! I have very little experience with the UERM so I can't comment on that, but your thoughts on the Noble 4C are not far from my own. 

I love the fact that we have so many options to choose from these days. Remember not too long ago it was just UE, Westone, Sensaphonics, and Future Sonics? And each of them had just a handful of models to choose from? We've come a long way since then. 

Thanks John --- hopefully you get to hear it one of these days --- it lives up to its name in most ways.

Definitely. Users get so much choice these days, and so many of the newer choices have a lot of promise. People are really beginning to see how head-fiers' opinions and values really matter, even if their core customer base is the performing musician.

I agree with every one else who said amazing review. Some, a good portion of the reviews here are absolutely incredible. I enjoy reading some reviews almost as much as I enjoy listening to my gears. Thanks you for sharing your review!!

Thank you, but please listen to your music more rather than my blathering!

Quote:
  Wow. Admittedly I didn't read through every word of the review, but that is seriously one of the most well-written and informative posts I have ever read on Head-Fi before! How did you determine all of the impedance values for the various frequencies of each CIEM?

People have measured these values with their own rigs; I'm working on putting together something for myself so that I don't have to rely on outside data, but for the time being, the numbers I use are from people who I believe can make measurements consistently.

when I saw the review starting with a quote from some apple guy I thought I was up for a long journey through hipster's clichés, and was ready to close the page. but happy surprise, it was actually a very interesting review with lots of interesting personal opinions, and also a lot of data and things to learn about both IEMs and companies. all in all very nice read, thank you for posting

Thanks; I wasn't sure I wanted to use the quote at first, but Ive's statement is actually something that gets to the heart of what I wanted to present. Most of the time, I am very un-hipster-like.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #39 of 45
Tom, 1st off, kudos to you for a very well written and helpful review! 2nd, well done with the photography. As a full time photographer who caters to this industry, I recognize the talent you displayed in capturing the essence of both products. Well done.

Nov 21, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #40 of 45
Let me add my praise to the quality of your review!

In the future when I try to explain why I bought UERM, despite auditioning all the big guns at RMAF as my first CIEM, I will point the curious toward this review.  I encourage you to post your thoughts on any other gear you may own or audition.  Thanks!!!!

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #41 of 45
Excellent review as always Tom. I've never heard the 4C but I own the Heir 4A and have extensively heard the Noble 4 Universal. Your take on the 4C I found quite interesting and have to add I also found the 4 universal slightly vocal forward compared to the UERM. The lower mid lift was also there albeit I'm left wondering if it was as prominent as on the 4C compared to its universal counterpart. Imaging and overall presentation was far and away dominated by my UERM mind you I'm also wondering if it would have been a closer outcome if the shootout I did was with the 4C and not the 4 universal. Anyways, for those interested I have a shootout video concerning the UERM vs the Noble 4 universal vs Heir 4A. As you guys can see I picked out some customized faceplates. Many thanks to Mr Mike Dias for getting those faceplates added to my order.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #43 of 45
Great review.

I listen to all types of music but metal / hard rock is my favorite.  Things like Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" or Tool's "46 & 2".  Did you get a chance to listen to music like this while doing your review?

I assume the UERM will handle it fine but I find this type of music is not covered much here so am hoping to get your opinion on the matter.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #44 of 45
Thank you for such a comprehensive review. You have a great writing style; clear, articulate and tangible. I have been tempted by the recent UERM offer on MD but your comparison has led me to conclude that I will probably be happier staying with my current N4 as my 'reference' monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back