In-Depth Comparison: Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitor & Noble Audio 4C (Wizard Design)
Oct 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #16 of 45
I just merely glanced at your review and I was legit shook. It was like some Moses carries the tablets down Mt. Sinai ****

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #18 of 45
great read.  Though I do disagree with your conclusions on the sound stage as I found the UERM to have a deeper soundstage, in other respects the 4 comes close (real close)  to the UERM except the mids the mids of the UERM are great. As for the fatiguing sound my ears get tired a lot faster from the fit than the sound (UERM impression as I don't own the 4C only heard the 4 universal).

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #19 of 45
Nice and informative review, as always.

My two cents:

When I had my UERM, it sounded spectacular with a stage presentation that was unique without equal.  I give UE two very big thumbs up for their manufacturing process because it was the only ciem that truly had a perfect fit, the first time.  When I had the universal N4 and K10 for an extended period of time, I found both to be impossible for ear fatigue.  

Had I listened to the demo UERM for longer than the 15 straight minutes, I wouldn't have spent the dough getting it and most likely would have gone with the UE11, which was the second liked from the UE line (minus the UE4 as the demo version wasn't available).  I must be in the minority to find the UERM to be fatiguing to the point of developing headaches.  It has amazing sounding stage, but like I mentioned before, after some time, my mind couldn't quite get wrapped around it.  Similarly, I developed headaches with the Sennheiser IE8/80 due to what I found to be an unnaturally wide soundstage. 

My general take between the two brands is that the UE line have very specific tools for specific applications (audio engineer, singer, drummer, guitarist, music listener..etc) and the UERM is engineered for the professional rather than purely music playback in a musical sense, IMO - then again, I fall in the minority.  On the other hand, with the Noble line, I can see a few models being able to be used for specific applications, but I found that music listener is where every model really shines in their own voices.

Pardon my lack of studio/engineering know hows, but if I was one, I can see using the UERM as a tool to cover the production basis and use the N4/K10 as the means for listening enjoyment in the highest caliber. The N4 does extremely well with musical and non-fatiguing preservation, but the K10 is in another world, IMO.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #20 of 45
I have never really looked at UE but I understand that at a forthcoming audio show in Singapore here at the end of the month, they will be displaying the UE PRM for the first time outside the US. So I look at the UE website for their CIEM range and frankly, it seems to be written for performers, engineers, etc. As a consumer, ignoring price issues, I have no idea where to begin. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #21 of 45

An extremely competent, well written, comprehensive analysis. The significant time spent crafting is evident.  From a personal experience-I own UERM-very accurate. I just want to add that the several members of UE I worked with were extraordinary.  Genuinely professional and helpful. Sincerely wanting me to have the best possible musical experience.  Additionally, my only concern in ordering was the bottom end; would there be enough? I am delighted: plenty, just right. And to add to the review, it may have been my fitting. The UE audiologist nailed it. I have had several impressions made and none came close to being so accurate. 
Thank you for providing an example of what is the "state-of-the-art" in reviewing.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #22 of 45
I have never really looked at UE but I understand that at a forthcoming audio show in Singapore here at the end of the month, they will be displaying the UE PRM for the first time outside the US. So I look at the UE website for their CIEM range and frankly, it seems to be written for performers, engineers, etc. As a consumer, ignoring price issues, I have no idea where to begin. 

Customs vendors at audio shows should have wearable samples that you can try. They're universal versions so comfort and sound won't be identical to units made specifically for you, but they'll be close enough for you to judge whether they're what you're looking for.

Customs are mostly sold in the pro music/performance sector, so that's how the products are marketed. But the better models (UERM, NT-6, JH 13 Pro, and many others) are also popular among audiophiles, since the concerns are similar: comfort, isolation, and sound quality and character.

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #23 of 45
Wow! Great review. I haven't heard the UERM but I find it interesting that it had more apparent treble than the 4c. I thought he 4c a hair lean on top or had a touch extra sparkle when I auditioned it. Don't get me wrong here, I think the thing is a tremendous value and very enjoyable listen. Would be on my short list in it's price range. Like you said in the review, there's always debate on what's natural. Could just be that I heard a universal and it's ultimate tune is for a longer custom tube. Probably the case as I didn't find the midrange warmed either but it was a short listen at a show. I agree with the phase correct part. I'm not certain that absolute linear phase is as important as group delay and things staying in phase at transitions as long as the phase curve isn't odd but it certainly makes a difference for me in terms of tangibility. That said, plenty of things I like that aren't touted as phase correct, the Noble 4 being one of those. Have I said Great Review. Thanks, Tomscy

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #24 of 45
You need to find your way to a UERM demo. If it wasn't for the fit and the cable (memory wire sucks for glasses) I'd use it more. I've been meaning to get them reshelled for a year or so but I'm lazy and getting impressions is a hassle.

I'd take them over my JH13 if I ever get around to getting them worked on a bit.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #25 of 45
I tend to be more adversely affected by phase and time abortions as long as detail and balance aren't radically dissimilar when it comes to music listening. Nothing's perfect and I'm aware that you're not the only one here that feels that way though in the innerfidelity shout out, the jh13 seemed to be slightly ahead. I'm sure they're close enough in overall goodness to be considered a wash. To be honest, I think I did have a brief listen at some point but just don't recall it so can't comment. I get a VG result with one cable I use....when it's not broken.
frown.gif
 I also like a little roll on top. Sounds more like real space to me, as long as it's got enough overall extension.

Nov 14, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #26 of 45
I definitely think demos do not tell the whole story when it comes to customs, and out of all of the CIEMs that I've owned, the custom versions have all sounded substantially better, and most importantly, all have far smoother treble presentation that their demo/universalized counterparts.

Sorry for being MIA. Really busy.
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #28 of 45
This was an excellent review. You've put in a fair bit of dedication and passion into this review, and it clearly shows. It was a long read, but it felt more like a novel than a review. Well done, mate. 
smile.gif

Anyway, this review has me greatly interested in auditioning the Noble 4C. Think I might just do that soon.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #29 of 45
Tom - as always, nice work! I have very little experience with the UERM so I can't comment on that, but your thoughts on the Noble 4C are not far from my own. 

I love the fact that we have so many options to choose from these days. Remember not too long ago it was just UE, Westone, Sensaphonics, and Future Sonics? And each of them had just a handful of models to choose from? We've come a long way since then. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #30 of 45
I agree with every one else who said amazing review. Some, a good portion of the reviews here are absolutely incredible. I enjoy reading some reviews almost as much as I enjoy listening to my gears. Thanks you for sharing your review!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back