IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #2,297 of 3,340
the sound was diffuse, muddy, without detail ... now it is clear and I have one more filter to play. Before I was useless.
Your gold filter unit is going well?
In his review of the IMR Aten, Crinacle panned the gold filter, saying the treble was very muted. I haven’t tried the gold on my Aten or Rah, but if he is right then makes sense that altering the filter would improve the sound.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #2,299 of 3,340
very interesting I'm also going to have to give it a try. I wrote off the gold filter a long time ago thanks for sharing!

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,301 of 3,340
For me, the difference with gold filter is like night and day... the another filters sound great in stock.
I remember reading in the thread that other users had the same problem with the gold filter.
With this mod you can reuse something that was previously useless, because he ruined the sound.

Gold indeed was horrible. Will try this thanks!

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #2,302 of 3,340
@Sito Lupion had no idea it was so easy to remove. I thought it was stuck on. Should be easy with tweezers to put back, but not sure why you would. Gold quite useable now

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #2,303 of 3,340
Tried gold top. It sounded very similar to blue top. Not that this is a bad thing, as was mentioned, gold was useless anyways. Though it is a bit too much to my liking as i am on black top usually.

That said. Still fun playing around with filters. Thanks for sharing @Sito Lupion

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #2,304 of 3,340
Tried gold top. It sounded very similar to blue top. Not that this is a bad thing, as was mentioned, gold was useless anyways. Though it is a bit too much to my liking as i am on black top usually.

That said. Still fun playing around with filters. Thanks for sharing @Sito Lupion
i think the difference was the filter inside :D without filter .. all are the same ? :wink:

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #2,307 of 3,340
Hmm I wish I had pulled out the foam bits in the tips earlier @Sito Lupion .
I removed the foam bits out of the black tip as well now.

Blue base/black top had the nicest frequency response for me in the very beginning, BUT I was getting vocals that seemed dull/veiled/held back (not sure how to describe it) with many of my tracks. I have been listening to the Rah with Grey base/Blue tips for a long while as it seemed to give me the mid range that I was happier with.

Now that I have removed the foam from the black tips it seems to have opened up the vocals with much nicer detail. I am using the blue bass/black tip combo again and am liking it so far. I think there is a difference with Blue/blue and Blue/black even with foam out. The upper sparkle sounds less harsh with Blue/Black. Will give this combo a few days and see if my thoughts change.

I also finally found the large size JVC Spiral Dots and have fallen in love with these. Bass detail is wonderful without affecting the upper range.

Setup is DX160 with Fidelizer > Rah Blue base/Black top with foamies out > L spiral dots

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #2,308 of 3,340
Hmm I wish I had pulled out the foam bits in the tips earlier @Sito Lupion .
I removed the foam bits out of the black tip as well now.

Blue base/black top had the nicest frequency response for me in the very beginning, BUT I was getting vocals that seemed dull/veiled/held back (not sure how to describe it) with many of my tracks. I have been listening to the Rah with Grey base/Blue tips for a long while as it seemed to give me the mid range that I was happier with.

Now that I have removed the foam from the black tips it seems to have opened up the vocals with much nicer detail. I am using the blue bass/black tip combo again and am liking it so far. I think there is a difference with Blue/blue and Blue/black even with foam out. The upper sparkle sounds less harsh with Blue/Black. Will give this combo a few days and see if my thoughts change.

I also finally found the large size JVC Spiral Dots and have fallen in love with these. Bass detail is wonderful without affecting the upper range.

Setup is DX160 with Fidelizer > Rah Blue base/Black top with foamies out > L spiral dots

I'm glad you like @Jawis, I've also used the gray filter for a long time and I was really happy, but the other day when trying filters, and checking once again that the gold one didn't work, I modified it and now it's the one I use together with the black tips emptied.
I get a lot of detail and the bass is spectacular without being too much. The middle range stays perfect for me. I use Whirlwinds tips

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #2,309 of 3,340
Similar, actually. My left side plays at about half the volume sometimes.
It changes when I adjust them in my ear, as if the pressure change moves something inside the unit. Only on the left side, no matter the cable, tip or source.
Bob also isn't sure what's causing it, so he offered to take a look at them.

I think I got this problem suddenly last night. The right side appears to have diminished sound for me. Sound balance sounds skewed to the left side.
Wiggling the right unit a little fixed it briefly, but no affect with adjusting anymore.
Driver flex?
@Xintaur are you still having this problem?

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #2,310 of 3,340
I think I got this problem suddenly last night. The right side appears to have diminished sound for me. Sound balance sounds skewed to the left side.
Wiggling the right unit a little fixed it briefly, but no affect with adjusting anymore.
Driver flex?
@Xintaur are you still having this problem?
No, but I had to send it in to have Bob fix it for me. Seems to be a connection on the planar driver that disconnects when pressure changes and required a driver change.
Just write an email or a Facebook message to him and explain the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back