IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #1,246 of 3,340
Black lower / blue upper is worth a listen - gives the upper range a little more clarity and airiness for me. It's also Bob's preferred filter combo when I asked him for suggestions. :wink:
Yep - hands down the best combo!

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #1,247 of 3,340
Black lower / blue upper is worth a listen - gives the upper range a little more clarity and airiness for me. It's also Bob's preferred filter combo when I asked him for suggestions. :wink:

Mine arrived Monday. I also have R1 and Zenith. After experimenting with different filters and tips, I prefer Red and Green filters for now. Both the Black and the Blue bass filter seem exaggerated, even to me that I like the bass. Regarding the treble, I had to lose some transparency and detail, but both blacks and blues produce sibilances. For exclusively instrumental music I would have no doubt and would place a blue filter, but with female voices and EDM music that are not perfectly recorded, blacks and blues are very hard. I am using Spiral Dots.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,248 of 3,340
There's a whole context here. First off, I love them. Straight out of the box with Black Black was impressive to say the least. I've only got about 30 hours on them now so they are not burned in yet and I haven't really tried any combinations of uppers & lowers yet because the sound will change as the burn continues. But I have tried the Black with Black and Black with Red. The bass is huge and I think the red upper is my preferred choice from limited experiments. I've also tried for just a few minutes the Blue lower with Red Upper. It still has a good bass response but reduces some of the (and I'm not sure how exactly to express this) bigness or depth of the bass. I also like the blue lower but I really didn't do any critical listening with it. To me the Black is like a well controlled bass Canon and the Blue is a well controlled big bass gun. At present I'm sticking with Black Red until I reach 150 hours then I'll start playing with different combos but I suspect it'll be Black or Blue on the lower. 5 minutes with Gold dissuaded me from any further interest in it. Hope this helps somehow.
Awesome, thanks so much! Will try this combo ASAP.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #1,249 of 3,340
I am taking notes and will probably start with that when I get them :)

The black lower/blue upper is what I've settled with so far.

Bass is strong and detailed but not overwhelming. Nice and smooth in the mids.

I'm currently using with the Ifi-audio black label micro idsd and it is a lovely match for the RAH.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #1,250 of 3,340
Mine arrived Monday. I also have R1 and Zenith. After experimenting with different filters and tips, I prefer Red and Green filters for now. Both the Black and the Blue bass filter seem exaggerated, even to me that I like the bass. Regarding the treble, I had to lose some transparency and detail, but both blacks and blues produce sibilances. For exclusively instrumental music I would have no doubt and would place a blue filter, but with female voices and EDM music that are not perfectly recorded, blacks and blues are very hard. I am using Spiral Dots.

For me, the filters were not as important as having the black bottom. The other bores did something wierd to the voices.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #1,251 of 3,340
There is an interesting split here. For those who love EDM for example the Blue/black/blue are perfect
For those who listen to more 'music' the Pink/gold/red are preferred
The Rahs are improving mightily the more hour they have on them. Im in the camp of Pink/gold and find them to be incredibly balanced with beautifully natural vocals
There is always a large bass but i think that is a character you cant get away from with the Rahs. The bass though is of a very high quality in terms of tonality so its great

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #1,252 of 3,340
Best pairing for me too. Mids are incredible like that

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #1,253 of 3,340
The bass though is of a very high quality in terms of tonality so its great

It is the tonality which for me just makes me want the bass in large quantities. There isn’t a part of the bass frequency which has any issues on the Rah. Sure the quantity can occasionally be too much on some music but then I have other IEM to use for that and the other 90% of what I listen to is perfect on black lower nozzle.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #1,254 of 3,340
It is the tonality which for me just makes me want the bass in large quantities. There isn’t a part of the bass frequency which has any issues on the Rah. Sure the quantity can occasionally be too much on some music but then I have other IEM to use for that and the other 90% of what I listen to is perfect on black lower nozzle.

Remind me what DAP you are using?
To be fair I am in general looking for balance, a natural to life sound - in other words the perfect Audiophile sound. Aside from the bass [sometimes] being a tad too present and 'always there' on some stuff these IEM's are looking very much like they will be in the 'never sell' camp.
With the different bass of the RED 2 though I am 100% happy. What an incredible pair of IEM's Makes me almost embarrassed to own something this good.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,255 of 3,340
So I had a listen to the R2 Atlen and it's a big leap from the original R1...

Image d’iOS (99).jpg

I love what I heard on black lower / blue upper filter set up... can't wait to get the Rah, I expect it will make things even better :D

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,256 of 3,340
I repeat - no opinions on the PB ONE? According to Bob it'll even look like the RAH, which looking at the specs makes it a RAH at half the price?!

The ONE spec is as follows

• Triple hybrid driver configuration consisting of bespoke 15mm Aten driver featuring uprated Neodymium motors with beryllium composite diaphragm + high resolution Piezo ceramic driver + 12mm Planar magnetic driver
  • 8 acoustic audio nozzles + 6 acoustic dampers
  • 2 Pin detachable cable (3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced)
  • Impedance: 32 Ohm
  • Sensitivity: 103 +/- 3DB
  • Frequency response: 8- 52000Hz
  • 24ct Gold plated 3.5mm Jack
  • 1.4M length OFC cable
  • Semi hard carry Case
  • 6.5mm Adapter
  • Hard pocket case
  • Huge selection of ear tips for the perfect fit
  • Target ship date is mid March 2020

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,257 of 3,340
I repeat - no opinions on the PB ONE? According to Bob it'll even look like the RAH, which looking at the specs makes it a RAH at half the price?!

It's actually the same Rah pre-order price with loyalty discount applied, which I'd say is fair. I've asked Bob how it differs from the Rah and he says it's got a slightly bigger planar driver which gives a push to the mids and increases the frequency range.

Jan 2, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,258 of 3,340
Thanks for the tip, I'll slip on the blue upper this morning. I let them play overnight so another 8 hours on them and through out the day I'll either be listening to them or letting them run.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,259 of 3,340
IMR RED 2 - Errrmm, this is unexpected but I think the RED 2 is kind of better than the Rah! o_0
In some ways anyway... After 60 hours or so this IEM is blowing me away. What Bob has done with the Rah is amazing what he has managed with the RED 2 is very very special indeed.
Want to give it more time yet but compared to the Rah - the bass is much tighter & focused & balanced. Vocals are more natural and more centred / more present. There seems more separation and clarity and yet the sound is warmer and richer. A wonderful contradiction.

Anyway..I was simply wanting a smaller, less expensive, closed back for out and about listening & I think I have my new favourite No.1 IEM
Technically of course the Rah is better and I will certainly enjoy it in those ways but By gum the RED 2 is a very nicely balanced big sound staged fun yet analytical IEM
I very much hope it doesn't get over looked. It is unique in its own way but offers 'that' IMR sound with qualities for a closed back IEM that are just magical and offer some TOTL qualities - Had moments of absolute perfection...virtually impossible for my fussy ears :)
You got me at “tighter and balanced” ordered along with the pb one

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,260 of 3,340
Remind me what DAP you are using?
To be fair I am in general looking for balance, a natural to life sound - in other words the perfect Audiophile sound. Aside from the bass [sometimes] being a tad too present and 'always there' on some stuff these IEM's are looking very much like they will be in the 'never sell' camp.
With the different bass of the RED 2 though I am 100% happy. What an incredible pair of IEM's Makes me almost embarrassed to own something this good.

I’m not using any DAP. I mainly stream YouTube from Sky Q into Grace SDAC-Balanced and then either THX 789 or Fiio A5.

I’m not looking for any specific sound if I was to generalise, I want whatever presentation any particular set does best but I do wish for a huge stage with reasonable imaging. When I turn the volume up I want all the sound to be outside of my head as a minimum with zero pressure felt on the ear drums and psycho acoustically felt physically around the head and body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back