IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #1,277 of 3,340
The Rahs are much more comfortable, even though they are bigger. I have issues with the Zeniths where I can't use silicon tips on them, had to use foams because they would just weigh down. No issues with that on the Rahs.
Same here. I find the RAHs very comfortable. I can compare to Zenith only from memory but I feel like the diameter of the shells is about the same but the length or perhaps depth as you might see it is longer to accommodate the the 3 drivers. Still they just float in the ear supported by the cable over my ear. For sure though, I will only use these at home or local jaunts around town, and will not be my travel buddies because they do stick out of my ears a bit, making them unsuitable for sleeping in aircraft and they wouldn't isolate the external noise or aircraft drone anyway. Having said that, I've got the stereo playing in the background right now and have the RAHs connected to my desktop rig and the stereo is not bothersome to that which I'm now listening. If any of you have any experience with the TK Shockwave III, the RAH to me is bit like that. It sits suspended in the ear canal but protruding out a few mm

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,278 of 3,340
I know you are not trying the filters yet but if you have not already please put the blue filter on for that track.
I switched to Blue this morning.... I'll keep listening blue for the rest of the week. I have been playing with filters a little, just not doing any critical comparisons. But so far its only been Black and Blue Lowers and Black, Blue and Red uppers. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far!

Jan 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,279 of 3,340
Your daily rah untz and tizz

2DFD1420-F6FC-4343-90BD-8DE6889793C3.png DCBBDC8E-5BA8-4374-8310-1EC9250655F1.jpeg

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,280 of 3,340
I’m now truly struggling so much. Now I have fixed all my issues and use them in my own unique way, these Rah truly offer all I ever need.

There honestly needs to be something of super unique interest for me to purchase anything else. I believe the Semper is the one if that actually comes to fruition.

I don’t think I can justify the PBOne because I have the Rah. I’m sure it will be incredible and hopefully more so.
The halcyon I want the electrostat but with a planar that’s hopefully another upgrade than the Rah.
I was tempted by the phase but the bass is sensational on the Rah and I don’t need anymore than what is offered.
I’ve no idea if the other PB builds will be black versions of phase and semper with maybe uprated internals in the same vain as the Rah to PBOne.

To whoever earlier was wondering about a comparison to Aten and Rah, it is absolutely worth the upgrade and if you can get the PBOne just buy that it should be a better Rah and that is saying something special. I can not for the life of me imagine how this can get any better.

I have found my audio nirvana.
Mind blown.
Ignore all the above - I’m speechless again.
Jaw on the floor.
They play everything incredibly for everyone. You can set them up to be super genre specific and the worst they sound when playing away from that genre is still impressive.

What I’m trying to say is I have every faith in bob to actually keep improving but I’m at the stage of happiness right now that I need to wait for the upgrade that’s like jumping from Zenith straight to Rah. I’m hoping Rah to semper achieves this.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #1,282 of 3,340
IMR RED 2 - Errrmm, this is unexpected but I think the RED 2 is kind of better than the Rah! o_0
In some ways anyway... After 60 hours or so this IEM is blowing me away. What Bob has done with the Rah is amazing what he has managed with the RED 2 is very very special indeed.
Want to give it more time yet but compared to the Rah - the bass is much tighter & focused & balanced. Vocals are more natural and more centred / more present. There seems more separation and clarity and yet the sound is warmer and richer. A wonderful contradiction.

Anyway..I was simply wanting a smaller, less expensive, closed back for out and about listening & I think I have my new favourite No.1 IEM
Technically of course the Rah is better and I will certainly enjoy it in those ways but By gum the RED 2 is a very nicely balanced big sound staged fun yet analytical IEM
I very much hope it doesn't get over looked. It is unique in its own way but offers 'that' IMR sound with qualities for a closed back IEM that are just magical and offer some TOTL qualities - Had moments of absolute perfection...virtually impossible for my fussy ears :)

Great to hear the Red is blowing you away. I didn't think it could come close to the Rah let alone possibly be better. Wow.

Totally regret not getting this as it made sense to me as a commuter version of the Aten. Was thinking this would allow me to sell the R1 and step up the rotation.

It looked an absolute bargain with pre order and loyalty discounts. Had it in my basket when I ordered the PBOne but didn't push the button. Can't get em all tho.

Keep us updated on how you are enjoying them.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,283 of 3,340
I think because Bob prefers to use the blue filter aka no filtering and the fact that there are more bass options for tuning than there are upper filters, the design is one of subtractive EQ’ing. A simple way to tune and not be overwhelmed by seeing lots of filters and not fully understanding FR graphs.

Mids and highs not coming through enough because you can’t turn up the volume further because of the bass then subtract bass to increase mids by way of volume.
It’s finding the correct bass to mids ratio to suit you.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #1,284 of 3,340
Black lower / blue upper is worth a listen - gives the upper range a little more clarity and airiness for me. It's also Bob's preferred filter combo when I asked him for suggestions. :wink:

That is interesting. That will be the first combo I will try when I get some time this weekend.

Wonder why they don't ship with that combo as stock?

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,286 of 3,340
That is interesting. That will be the first combo I will try when I get some time this weekend.

I thought about this too and I believe if they were not filtered slightly it may put some people off OOTB. the black filter is the same signature as blue just attenuated slightly. After burn in and the sound changes I believe the blue is back to black pre burn in.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,287 of 3,340

I thought about this too and I believe if they were not filtered slightly it may put some people off OOTB. the black filter is the same signature as blue just attenuated slightly. After burn in and the sound changes I believe the blue is back to black pre burn in.

From his early Kickstarter days and previous non-IMR models Bob has tuned, I believe his personal sonic preference is for a particular type of more vivid treble - it isn't what I'm hearing with the black/blue combo, but guess he went "safe" with the default combo.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #1,288 of 3,340
From his early Kickstarter days and previous non-IMR models Bob has tuned, I believe his personal sonic preference is for a particular type of more vivid treble - it isn't what I'm hearing with the black/blue combo, but guess he went "safe" with the default combo.

As I recall (we know audio recall sucks) it was quite vivid OOTB then went south whilst burning in and then going to no filter regained that vividness.
The Aten shipped the same but mine were a used pair and so have unknown hours on them. But I’m sure they were sent out, returned and sent to me within 30 days if I recall correctly.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #1,289 of 3,340
It is the tonality which for me just makes me want the bass in large quantities. There isn’t a part of the bass frequency which has any issues on the Rah. Sure the quantity can occasionally be too much on some music but then I have other IEM to use for that and the other 90% of what I listen to is perfect on black lower nozzle.

Ah that bass is something special on these. The spiral dots may be contributing to this but I am not finding many songs where I'm thinking there is too much bass. This definitely happened with the Aten but a/b ing songs with the Rah and the Aten earlier there was a big difference.

A lot of Otis Redding was too bassy on the Aten but is just right for me with the Rah. Same for a lot of early soul where they were recorded with everyone in the same studio. I'm still on black/ black.

Curiosity got the better of me today and I tried your suggestion to use the bottom filter only.
Made a big difference and you were right the top end opens up and that 3d sound was increased.
At first I was thinking I'd turned the Rahs into a set of KZ's as the bass was muted and the highs very bright.
Not sure if my ears adjusted to this but some tunes I listened to this was the best i'd ever heard them. Orbital - The Girl with Sun in Her Head blew me away like this. Male vocals seemed improved as well. Needs more experimentation. This and the earfits could be a great match.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #1,290 of 3,340
I repeat - no opinions on the PB ONE? According to Bob it'll even look like the RAH, which looking at the specs makes it a RAH at half the price?!

The ONE spec is as follows

• Triple hybrid driver configuration consisting of bespoke 15mm Aten driver featuring uprated Neodymium motors with beryllium composite diaphragm + high resolution Piezo ceramic driver + 12mm Planar magnetic driver
  • 8 acoustic audio nozzles + 6 acoustic dampers
  • 2 Pin detachable cable (3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced)
  • Impedance: 32 Ohm
  • Sensitivity: 103 +/- 3DB
  • Frequency response: 8- 52000Hz
  • 24ct Gold plated 3.5mm Jack
  • 1.4M length OFC cable
  • Semi hard carry Case
  • 6.5mm Adapter
  • Hard pocket case
  • Huge selection of ear tips for the perfect fit
  • Target ship date is mid March 2020

I ordered a pair. Anyone else get them?

I am intrigued at whether Bob can get anymore out of the Rah. The increased driver size I'm not sure if it will make as much difference as the one from R1 to R2 as Planar not DD.

They are the same price I paid for the Rah. I'll sell or gift the ones I dont need. My sister is still using the se535's I gave her about 5 years ago. She could do with an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back