IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,291 of 3,340
Ah that bass is something special on these. The spiral dots may be contributing to this but I am not finding many songs where I'm thinking there is too much bass. This definitely happened with the Aten but a/b ing songs with the Rah and the Aten earlier there was a big difference.

A lot of Otis Redding was too bassy on the Aten but is just right for me with the Rah. Same for a lot of early soul where they were recorded with everyone in the same studio. I'm still on black/ black.

Curiosity got the better of me today and I tried your suggestion to use the bottom filter only.
Made a big difference and you were right the top end opens up and that 3d sound was increased.
At first I was thinking I'd turned the Rahs into a set of KZ's as the bass was muted and the highs very bright.
Not sure if my ears adjusted to this but some tunes I listened to this was the best i'd ever heard them. Orbital - The Girl with Sun in Her Head blew me away like this. Male vocals seemed improved as well. Needs more experimentation. This and the earfits could be a great match.

I’ve never heard any KZ’s but I think I know what you mean. I think I had a similar experience but I believe it was how they were fit into the canal, basically not deep enough as that is what mutes the bass and to say the bass is light on Rah is impossible lol. This is part of the reason I said it’s not for everybody, some people said the Zenith filter was not long enough so going shorter could cause a bad seal but I prefer to get them snug to minimise the sticking out of the ear. Im currently trying @Skullar blue bass set up and so far so good. I think the Sedna earfits are essential if going lower nozzle only due to how they fit the nozzle.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,292 of 3,340
From his early Kickstarter days and previous non-IMR models Bob has tuned, I believe his personal sonic preference is for a particular type of more vivid treble - it isn't what I'm hearing with the black/blue combo, but guess he went "safe" with the default combo.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. Do you think Bob is heading towards that preference with the IMR's or was this something previous models had? I think each IMR has got more vivid treble wise than the last.

Was the R1 the first IMR? That's where I jumped aboard.

I've got over 130 hours on these and listening to them now they sound incredible. Thank you Bob you have created something very special here. Rah rah rah.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,294 of 3,340
I've got over 130 hours on these and listening to them now they sound incredible. Thank you Bob you have created something very special here. Rah rah rah.

What if I told you they are still improving. It was around then I started to like them again. I’m somewhere in the 200 hour region and they improved from where you are at the moment to now. I’m sure they will keep changing over quite a good while longer. I’m sure someone has twice the hours than me.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,295 of 3,340
I’ve never heard any KZ’s but I think I know what you mean. I think I had a similar experience but I believe it was how they were fit into the canal, basically not deep enough as that is what mutes the bass and to say the bass is light on Rah is impossible lol. This is part of the reason I said it’s not for everybody, some people said the Zenith filter was not long enough so going shorter could cause a bad seal but I prefer to get them snug to minimise the sticking out of the ear. Im currently trying @Skullar blue bass set up and so far so good. I think the Sedna earfits are essential if going lower nozzle only due to how they fit the nozzle.

Its worth picking up a pair of KZ's although other brands have overtaken them now I think. It was a fun journey trying a lot of them. The ES4 and a Bluetooth cable make an excellent & bargainous gym set. I like the AS10 a lot as well. ED16 are great set to use to sleep in. Anyway enough KZ.

Thinking about it it did take me a while to get a good fit & seal with the spiral dots. That might have been what improved them. But it was an addictive sound. Only downer was I felt a bit deaf when I took them off.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #1,296 of 3,340
Its worth picking up a pair of KZ's although other brands have overtaken them now I think. It was a fun journey trying a lot of them. The ES4 and a Bluetooth cable make an excellent & bargainous gym set. I like the AS10 a lot as well. ED16 are great set to use to sleep in. Anyway enough KZ.

Thinking about it it did take me a while to get a good fit & seal with the spiral dots. That might have been what improved them. But it was an addictive sound. Only downer was I felt a bit deaf when I took them off.

Thanks for the tips, my shure SE215 are my ultimate beater set up.
Zenith are work horse set up.
Aten are my movies set up.
Rah are my music set up.

I have the same issue when I take them out too (I am actually hearing impaired lol)

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #1,297 of 3,340
What if I told you they are still improving. It was around then I started to like them again. I’m somewhere in the 200 hour region and they improved from where you are at the moment to now. I’m sure they will keep changing over quite a good while longer. I’m sure someone has twice the hours than me.

Wow I was thinking this was it and very happy with that too. Yes the last 10 or so hours have seen these fully climb out of the murk and they are singing.

Thanks for the tips, my shure SE215 are my ultimate beater set up.
Zenith are work horse set up.
Aten are my movies set up.
Rah are my music set up.

I have the same issue when I take them out too (I am actually hearing impaired lol)

Shure e2c were my first proper iem that set me off on this hobby. These sound amazing I wonder how good the e4c's are. Then wow these sound amazing I wonder how good the 530's are etc. Then I found head fi.

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,298 of 3,340
Wow, you're kidding right? Actually, I know you're not. I'm at about 35 with them now and have been listening with Black / Blue all day going back and forth between Whirlwinds and Complys and the RAHs are simply stunning with either tip. Whirlwinds really open the treble up, maybe even a bit too much - but still not sibilant, with the Complys, I've got them pushed all the way down to the bottom of the base. This way it doesnt blow out the bass too much nor restrict the treble (but it does calm it) and they are sensational. Been listening Latin Jazz (Afro Cuban All Stars at the moment) and the Ahmad Jamal Quartet - Live in Montreal. While the styles of music are quite different have a lot doing on and the RAHs arent missing a single detail with beautiful depth tone and texture accentuated by crystal clean cymbal strikes. I swear, right now I can hear the the palms of the hands making contact with the skin of the congas. If you're telling me they get even better at 200 hours, I cant even imagine what might sound like. Thanks to all of you for all of the contributions to this thread. Black Blue is really working (not to say the Red Tip wasn't) I think I'll just stay here with this combo for the next couple hundred hours.

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #1,300 of 3,340
Shure e2c were my first proper iem that set me off on this hobby. These sound amazing I wonder how good the e4c's are. Then wow these sound amazing I wonder how good the 530's are etc. Then I found head fi.

Exactly the same path I've been on. I really only had the SE535s for about 5 years and thought I loved them, then somehow realized I had torn one of the filters / dampers and in a google search about replacements, rediscovered head-fi which sent me down a crazy audio rabbit hole. this is just a little over a year ago. I started by changing the filters on the 535s and really heard them open up but I always found they lacked a bit bass so I convinced myself that after 5 years I could justify an upgrade to the SE846. So reading reviews of them led me to the DM7, to the P1s - and the discovery of what a small planar could accomplish, led me to the oBravo Cupids - Along the way picked up the Xelentos and several other IEMS got rid of the Zeniths and when the RAHs were announced with a planar in the them, ..... well you know the rest. It's been an interesting if not expensive year! I've also been playing with DACs & Amps....but thats another story.
Love these RAHs and like @EWASS I think I can now pull the plug on buy / sell stock rotations for a while. PB1 has got me super intrigued because of how good these RAHs are. Who knows, maybe someone will be looking for a fully burned in RAH and I can start over with The PB1 :ksc75smile:

P1s will be going up for sale - RAH replaces and surpasses
Noble M3 will be up for sale - itsfit Fusion replaces and surpasses
Will keep Xelento and IE800s (really travel, gym & pocket friendly)

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #1,302 of 3,340
Exactly the same path I've been on. I really only had the SE535s for about 5 years and thought I loved them, then somehow realized I had torn one of the filters / dampers and in a google search about replacements, rediscovered head-fi which sent me down a crazy audio rabbit hole. this is just a little over a year ago. I started by changing the filters on the 535s and really heard them open up but I always found they lacked a bit bass so I convinced myself that after 5 years I could justify an upgrade to the SE846. So reading reviews of them led me to the DM7, to the P1s - and the discovery of what a small planar could accomplish, led me to the oBravo Cupids - Along the way picked up the Xelentos and several other IEMS got rid of the Zeniths and when the RAHs were announced with a planar in the them, ..... well you know the rest. It's been an interesting if not expensive year! I've also been playing with DACs & Amps....but thats another story.
Love these RAHs and like @EWASS I think I can now pull the plug on buy / sell stock rotations for a while. PB1 has got me super intrigued because of how good these RAHs are. Who knows, maybe someone will be looking for a fully burned in RAH and I can start over with The PB1 :ksc75smile:

P1s will be going up for sale - RAH replaces and surpasses
Noble M3 will be up for sale - itsfit Fusion replaces and surpasses
Will keep Xelento and IE800s (really travel, gym & pocket friendly)

I started with a pair of original Etymotic ER-4S way back when there wasn't MP3 players, but instead portable CD players. It was great, and still are, for very neutral/analytic listening, but once I moved onto using smartphones with music players, I found out very quickly that smartphones didn't have enough power to drive them, then went to FutureSonics, and then to Westone 4R. After the Westone failed, I decided to look into less neutral and more playful. Many IEMs later, I am super happy with IMR and their sound, and may not go to any other manufacturer. I've had several multiple BA sets, up to 8 BAs, and as much as I have enjoyed them, after have three different IEMs with three different manufacturers where the BAs failed, anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months, it has put me off on the reliability of multiple BAs. All three of them used Knowles BAs too!

I also know that I should not be spending into the 4 digit price range for IEMs when I don't use lossless and don't use DAP/DACS as I'm not sure is there really a benefit for the type of music that I listen to, which is 90% hard rock/metal while commuting.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,303 of 3,340
I’m now truly struggling so much. Now I have fixed all my issues and use them in my own unique way, these Rah truly offer all I ever need.

There honestly needs to be something of super unique interest for me to purchase anything else. I believe the Semper is the one if that actually comes to fruition.

I don’t think I can justify the PBOne because I have the Rah. I’m sure it will be incredible and hopefully more so.
The halcyon I want the electrostat but with a planar that’s hopefully another upgrade than the Rah.
I was tempted by the phase but the bass is sensational on the Rah and I don’t need anymore than what is offered.
I’ve no idea if the other PB builds will be black versions of phase and semper with maybe uprated internals in the same vain as the Rah to PBOne.

To whoever earlier was wondering about a comparison to Aten and Rah, it is absolutely worth the upgrade and if you can get the PBOne just buy that it should be a better Rah and that is saying something special. I can not for the life of me imagine how this can get any better.

I have found my audio nirvana.
Mind blown.
Ignore all the above - I’m speechless again.
Jaw on the floor.
They play everything incredibly for everyone. You can set them up to be super genre specific and the worst they sound when playing away from that genre is still impressive.

What I’m trying to say is I have every faith in bob to actually keep improving but I’m at the stage of happiness right now that I need to wait for the upgrade that’s like jumping from Zenith straight to Rah. I’m hoping Rah to semper achieves this.

Yep this mirrors where I am at too. So happy with the RAH that I wouldn't "need" any other IEM but just the thought that there could be another big step up again (semper) seems far too enticing.

Hopefully we get some feedback on the Halcyon vs RAH which will hopefully indicate what the Semper could be like.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #1,304 of 3,340
Yep this mirrors where I am at too. So happy with the RAH that I wouldn't "need" any other IEM but just the thought that there could be another big step up again (semper) seems far too enticing.

Hopefully we get some feedback on the Halcyon vs RAH which will hopefully indicate what the Semper could be like.

It’s so like being in the hall of mirrors in here lol.

Exactly the same sentiments, I do believe halcyon will better Rah in the way that Aten betters Zenith but for where I am now and the cost to improve that amount is too high, but the cost which is double of the halcyon by going semper is worth the potential increase.
Any Aten owners who did not go Rah and wish to upgrade the halcyon is probably very much worth it.

In my mind it’s like when Apple did the iPhone then the iPhone S the year after, Rah is iPhone halcyon is iPhone S.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #1,305 of 3,340
It’s so like being in the hall of mirrors in here lol.

Exactly the same sentiments, I do believe halcyon will better Rah in the way that Aten betters Zenith but for where I am now and the cost to improve that amount is too high, but the cost which is double of the halcyon by going semper is worth the potential increase.
Any Aten owners who did not go Rah and wish to upgrade the halcyon is probably very much worth it.

In my mind it’s like when Apple did the iPhone then the iPhone S the year after, Rah is iPhone halcyon is iPhone S.

Remember someone mentioned Bob said the Halcyon is a side grade to the Rah. That's what is making me hold off on them because I may much prefer the RAH planar as I have never tried an electrostatic.

I am also assuming that the Semper will be designed to make best use of the planar and electrostatic so that you get the best of both worlds. By that I am assuming the mids will be tuned for the planar and highs for the estat but that could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back