IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #931 of 3,340
Received my imr Rah. Using the default tips and stem. Bass has really good subbass. Timbre is not natural.

Voices are very very distorted and in conflict with the rest. I will need to use wider bore tips.

Treble is nice but the energy isn't there.

I need a lot of modding to go. Source is an E1da 9038s via 2.5 balanced.

And this tuning card needs to be blown up big time to see anything. It's useless.
P_20191226_162522.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #933 of 3,340
Let’s see how all that changes after burn in hours lol.

Using my HiBy R6 Pro with a 2.5->4.4 adapter, the sound is much better than when matched with the colder 9038s. No EQ needed beyond using the Black bore with the Blue filter.

Meaning one of two things. Ether they need a warmer tonality source, or they need the 750mw @32 power or more to sound its best. The HiBy Pro has a little more than double the output of the 9038s (which is 300mw @32)

With a planar driver used, it is probably the power output that is the deciding factor.

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #934 of 3,340
Using my HiBy R6 Pro with a 2.5->4.4 adapter, the sound is much better than when matched with the colder 9038s. No EQ needed beyond using the Black bore with the Blue filter.

Meaning one of two things. Ether they need a warmer tonality source, or they need the 750mw @32 power or more to sound its best. The HiBy Pro has a little more than double the output of the 9038s (which is 300mw @32)

With a planar driver used, it is probably the power output that is the deciding factor.

It’s always power in my world, everything I’ve ever used always is better with more power available. It keeps things nice and simple.

I’ve used the Rah on the THX AAA 789 which is 6000mw @ 32ohm and Fiio A5 which is 800mw @ 32ohm.

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #936 of 3,340
I've never owned an IEM as addictive as the RAH, especially now that it settled in after about 120 hours, with black bottom and blue top filters.

It's definitely the best IEM for electronic music I have ever heard and absolutely incredible for everything else. Bob is a magician!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #937 of 3,340
461C7EDC-5094-447D-AF19-9B11B08ABC25.jpeg

Random post of the day.

I previously explained how I arrange my filters. The top is the Aten sets which I have rearranged and bottom are Rah sets which I have not rearranged. Also there were concerns expressed that removing the metal filter holders was too hard due to no finger holes, just turn them sideways for the largest finger slots known to humankind with opposable thumbs.

Slightly related tangent, I’ve succumbed to the black lower blue upper set up due to everyone saying how great they have made IEM’s again for electronic. Well guess what you’re all right. It has given me back what black black first 24 hours gave me which was lost after burn in time.

Oh and I’m unsure as to why but the upper unscrewed from the lower whilst the lower was still on the shell on both sides. Unsure if something slightly has changed but the Aten never did this.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #938 of 3,340
I am removing the bores with the sticky side of heavy duty bandaids/plasters to grip them.

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #939 of 3,340
I am removing the bores with the sticky side of heavy duty bandaids/plasters to grip them.

That’s my point, on the Atens they were a nightmare on my set. Yet the Rahs are effortless. Hmmmm actually it’s the reverse of the now I think about it.

Aten I can remove from shell but impossible to split upper and lower.

Rah are easy to split upper and lower but hold into the shell.

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #940 of 3,340
Got mine today. Very well made IEM, but that is to be expected because of how well R1 and Aten were made. I use Black on R1, and Black/Blue (b/t) on both Aten and Rah. No one mentioned how light these things are, which makes fitment and wear super comfortable. Sound out of the box is IMR house sound. Need to give them some time first. Aten got better the more you use them. Interesting to compare them with the Aten to see what exactly planar driver brings to the table.

One little note on the tips. Periodic Audio H (Hydrogen) single flange tips are a good option. They are basically just like the spiral dots, made with nice thin soft silicon, wide bore, just no dots inside.

Did anyone noticed any difference in sound from their Rah based on how much power you give it? Planars are known to be power hungry.

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #941 of 3,340
Got mine today. Very well made IEM, . No one mentioned how light these things are, which makes fitment and wear super comfortable. Sound out of the box is IMR house sound.

Yeah, they are light enough that I am using them cable down and not cabled around my ear.

Just mentioned how they needed a crazy amount of power. My Hiby R6 Pro balanced section is as powerful as a KANN Cube. 750mw @32. That is encroaching desktop level power output.

Bass is good with low power output. But upper mids to highs severely change (for the better) with greater power. It is not a subtle either, really necessary.

The Rah are really living up to their hype, especially off the Hiby R6 Pro and the Black bore/blue filter. And this is coming off a guy that owns the Lcd i4 and the Shuoer EJ07.

EJ07 is much easier to drive, but you need to take care with the Balanced Amature drivers. Perfect as is with no need for eq: and most 3.5mm headphone jacks can run it. A great example of electrets. The bulky fit of the EJ07 is not as nice as the Rah. The EJ07 despite having seperate canals in the bore for each driver has more interaction conflictz between the bass, mids, and highs compared to the Rahs. The Rahs feel more like Sony's old personal field speakers headphones in comparison (in a very good way) while the EJ07 is expected BA sound interactions (even though it is a hybrid).

Lcd-i4 is technically easy to drive, but needs a portable setup that can eq it. (Unless you stick to the cipher cables) Still, EQ'd, Lcd-i4 does not have good treble; it's strength is the bass extension and how it transitions perfectly into the mids. To give a benchmark natural timbre.

Rah off the Hiby R6 Pro, gives the hot but yet paradoxically non-painful treble that people were hoping that electrets drivers were going to give. Shuoer EJ07 is close to that ideal and but different from the Rah due to the crossover. (oh and the Rah does not have electrets but a dedicated planar)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #942 of 3,340
EJ07 looks interesting but it is expensive. And that universal fit shape of EJ07 just does not fit my ears (tried IT01s, painful). IMR products, despite their original style, have been pretty comfy to listen to.
I have a R3Pro for music purposes. 200mw or so from 2.5 balanced. 3.5 is just ok. EQ on hiby players is useless in my opinion. But i do use MSEB. Ive tried several portable amps, and while all of them do have good power, all have background hiss. R3Pro has been dead silent from both 3.5 and 2.5 outs, cant beat that.

Would be interesting to see how did they manage to make such a small estat driver for EJ07 and also the upcoming IMR IEMs. Full size estat cans have a separate transformer with them for a reason. Just wondering if it is a legit estat or some gimmick (some other trivial driver tech labeled electrostatic).

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #943 of 3,340
@bassct I think the Rah scales well as you add more power to it. I have been using between my Pioneer XDP-30r, iBasso DC-01, iBasso DX160 and E1DA 9038s.
The XDP-30r isn't particularly powerful even in balance, but I still think it sounds great. Volume is maxed in normal gain though :)

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #944 of 3,340
EJ07 looks interesting but it is expensive. And that universal fit shape of EJ07 just does not fit my ears (tried IT01s, painful). IMR products, despite their original style, have been pretty comfy to listen to.
I have a R3Pro for music purposes. 200mw or so from 2.5 balanced. 3.5 is just ok. EQ on hiby players is useless in my opinion. But i do use MSEB. Ive tried several portable amps, and while all of them do have good power, all have background hiss. R3Pro has been dead silent from both 3.5 and 2.5 outs, cant beat that.

Would be interesting to see how did they manage to make such a small estat driver for EJ07 and also the upcoming IMR IEMs. Full size estat cans have a separate transformer with them for a reason. Just wondering if it is a legit estat or some gimmick (some other trivial driver tech labeled electrostatic).
Yes these are legit estats produced by a company called Sonion, Google them, there are full-size estats which don't require an energizer the Mitchell & Johnson mj1 being one which is the same design as a kingsound model.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back