IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #481 of 3,340
The bar chart is the lower filter nozzle and don’t look at the graph. Lots of bass to none.

The upper filter nozzle is the graph.
Ahh, ok, so treble is a widowed header for the frequency graph on the second page. That makes so much more sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #482 of 3,340
Forgive me if I'm just being dense, but I can't make heads or tails of that IMR bar chart with bass on top and treble on the bottom. Is it trying to indicate the relative amount of bass of the filters? Do those bars have any indication of relative attenuation/effect on treble?

Looking at the frequency chart, it looks like there's actually a pretty small differences between the filters when it comes to bass, but there is quite a bit more difference in terms of mids and treble with different filters having different peaks.

Can someone please help me out with reading the bar chart? It's just very unclear what it is trying to communicate. I have never owned an IMR irm before, so I'm not making a factual statement about the effect of the filters, just trying to get a sense of their intent in terms of effect on sound.

Black base - most bass
Green base - least bass (on card)
Silver - less bass again

Graph on the other side kicks in at 100Hz ( moving from bass into mids) - shows effect of different tips on the mids and treble.

I'm using black base and blue tips - it's Bob @ IMR's preferred combo. It does mean it's very bassy, but I am pretty much a closet basshead.

Check out the R2 Aten thread for suggested base/tip combos to get a more mid focused or less bassy tuning, as the filters are pretty much the same.

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #483 of 3,340
Forgive me if I'm just being dense, but I can't make heads or tails of that IMR bar chart with bass on top and treble on the bottom. Is it trying to indicate the relative amount of bass of the filters? Do those bars have any indication of relative attenuation/effect on treble?
Looking at the frequency chart, it looks like there's actually a pretty small differences between the filters when it comes to bass, but there is quite a bit more difference in terms of mids and treble with different filters having different peaks.
Can someone please help me out with reading the bar chart? It's just very unclear what it is trying to communicate. I have never owned an IMR irm before, so I'm not making a factual statement about the effect of the filters, just trying to get a sense of their intent in terms of effect on sound.

The Black bass nozzle and black tip is Bobs personal preference
The Lower nozzles effect the bass. The way it works for me is to find the level of bass that Im happy with and then just find the upper part that adds the nest sounding mids/highs in relation to that bass
With my current set up, somehow its only the pink /red and gold tips that sound the most balanced & coherent but then a lot of people here seem to like the black :)
Anyway, i would suggest starting with the Black and then move down until you find the bass you like. Have fun
Top Tip - Use an old silicon tiptoe grip the nozzles when taking them off

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #485 of 3,340
One thing I did immediately notice with the Rah is that soundstage depth and height is a lot better than with the previous IEMs. As we all know, depth was a particular area that needed working on so that's made me happy

OK........hold on.........just wait for it................now that is what i wanted to hear! I felt like there was something missing with the R1 compared to the FLC8. Not width but something was lacking regarding height or depth...therefore a specific 3D-sounding effect has sounded less impressive than on the FLC8 although the FLC8 have a narrower soundstage...

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #486 of 3,340
OK........hold on.........just wait for it................now that is what i wanted to hear! I felt like there was something missing with the R1 compared to the FLC8. Not width but something was lacking regarding height or depth...therefore a specific 3D-sounding effect has sounded less impressive than on the FLC8 although the FLC8 have a narrower soundstage...
Width was always (I felt) fantastic on all the previous IRMs by IEM standards, but height and in particular depth was lacking. My rahs are still somewhat rough sounding as they loosen up, but the improvements in regard to 3D stereo imaging are immediately noticeable. The mids seem a lot more forward as well

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #487 of 3,340
I had an amazing 3D holographic experience with the Rah's last night listening to 'Bon Iver - i..i'
The accuracy, placement and details of the Rhas is out of this world. You know you are onto a good thing when you can hear the size of the room in which the vocals
were recorded in by observing the reverberations of the voice bouncing from the wall back to the microphone
Its crazy hearing new perviously unheard details in music that I have been listening to and using as test tracks for years!
I think Im in love :)x

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #489 of 3,340
OK, i was about to drop my money on the Periodic Be. Because when modded they seem to become an altogether different beast, more balanced and kind of reference sounding (when you check the frequence curve below it imho goes towards reference when modded).
I asked a member here to make a comparison and how they both compete on the technicalities. Would be nice to know. My understanding is that the Be may be more coherent sounding due to a single DD and maybe have softer highs and a more natural timbre (less shiny/metallic sounding).
I have the hope that RAH has made improvements in this department compared to R1. So here is the comparison pictunre RAH vs BE (i tried to match the fequencies a close as possible):

RAHvsBE.png

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #490 of 3,340
I am convicted that only until you can hear all the very subtle details of a sound you can experience the magic of music.
I am also similarly convicted
I find its not always easy getting every single cause and condition together at the same time...The 'right' DAP [for you], TOTL quality IEM's a cable &tips that have a perfect synergy, a Well recorded & mastered piece of music and more importantly matching my the present mood with the right music + not being too awake & not being too tired etc etc
Sometimes though, when everything does come together there is a magical total absorption into the music that is like nothing else :)

PS: In regard to your graphs above. [For me] if a headphone needs modding to sound good... then... :/
Graphs can be like deciding what a forest will be like by looking at an ordinance survey map !!
The only reliable way to judge an IEM is to stick it in your ears.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #491 of 3,340
Sometimes though, when everything does come together there is a magical total absorption into the music that is like nothing else :)
I'm having one of those moments right now! I don't even have my RAH's yet but Kevin Eubanks "Zen Food" album is unbelievable on Noble M3s. I can't wait to listen to it with the RAH. I've seasons in almost every genre and right now I'm spending a lot of time in both Led Zeppelin and Jazz Guitar. Both moving my soul and both waiting for the RAH to come and immerse me in a wall of sound.

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #492 of 3,340
Tip recommendation: Acoustune AET08 (wide bore, short stem).

Not tried Spiral Dots yet, but the Acoustune give me a deeper fit and the wide bore lets the music "breathe" a bit more.

RE: immersion, I find the bass level on these really helps with that "live music" feeling. The mids don't get swamped, and you get drawn in very well. After all, when's the last time you went to a live concert without that chest rumbling bass pressure you get down the front?

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #494 of 3,340
OK, i was about to drop my money on the Periodic Be. Because when modded they seem to become an altogether different beast, more balanced and kind of reference sounding (when you check the frequence curve below it imho goes towards reference when modded).
I asked a member here to make a comparison and how they both compete on the technicalities. Would be nice to know. My understanding is that the Be may be more coherent sounding due to a single DD and maybe have softer highs and a more natural timbre (less shiny/metallic sounding).
I have the hope that RAH has made improvements in this department compared to R1. So here is the comparison pictunre RAH vs BE (i tried to match the fequencies a close as possible):

To me, there is no perfect IEM or headphone, and every each one of them is lovable by their own signature. (in my opinion) xD

Most of the time unless you have this tingly connection with the reviewer, what and how they interpret the iem's sound signature can significantly different from what you interpret.

So ultimately, I don't think you need to hold back on that Periodic Be IEM if you think if it sound good or you reviewer that you are following that voiced a good opinion about the IEM.

Don't think you will regret on the purchase if thats the case. :D

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #495 of 3,340
Right, am i missing something or blue bass filter is not on the chart?
I actually quite enjoy it with edm. Its the biggest slam you can get. Amost identical on subbass with black but just a bit more midbass slam. With foams it would be a bit too much midbass but spiral dots handle it to almost ideal tone and quantity.

Also with edm i felt like upper end is too bright so i ended up using red filter and dropped 12khz down by 1.5db. Now treble sounds very organic and full with no fatigue. Not loosing any details.

Also just really cannot recommend enough to try various tips whwn you go through filters and nozzles. Even the ones you did not like before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back