IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,592 of 3,340
So I have been bummed about treble but I took out my dragonfly red- which I think makes a lot of treble hot, and with a lint of upping treble on iAudioGate out of my iPhone, I am now in love. This bass is so powerful. Soundstage is great. Now treble is coming in. Not exactly sparkly but I can’t complain. And I’ve found a use for my dfr which has been locked up since the cobalt came out. I do think I’m in love now. Listening to iliketrains and it’s coming in from all corners.

Iliketrains

Now there’s a proper band. I think I’ve still got my little British Rail style members card from around 2007 in the attic somewhere.

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,593 of 3,340
I definately agree. My preference is one of main reason i was surprsised that someone prefered sony over dx220. As ibasso hit my g spot for sure. That soundstage and seperation is just dizzying. Wm1a is good but nowhere near that level the way i hear it. That. Is why i really was gobsmacked. But maybe i overrate soundstage so much.
Also macro detail is superior, but this comes with price - Its mastering/record picky. So this is probably a thing going down to preference again.
Of course there is the rest of set up that affects final sound. Tips, filter set up, music genre.

I think soundstage and separation is pretty important. Next frontier in headphone listening perhaps. I'm thinking that's why Tidal is toying around with 360 reality (blechhh!) and Atmos (perhaps a little better).
I think the iBasso tuning does a fine job without all this witchery.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,596 of 3,340
Today was a very frustrating day with the RAH... Spent the last days on my Shuoer Tape due to their better isolation and switching to the RAH the bass was just unbearable, couldn't believe my ears that I ever enjoyed it as much as I did over the last weeks...
Oh, the joys of Brain Burn!
Anyway, what filter combo have you been using?
Try Blue lower Blue Upper followed by Grey Lower Blue Upper in that order. Once you dial in your preferred lower, start swapping the tops... Ive pretty much settled on Blue / Blue although my Fusions showed up this morning and have been listening to them all day. I am convinced that I now have my #1 , #2 & #3 IEMS
1. RAH at Home
2. Fusion when I need Isolation (flying, wife nagging, kids screaming, etc...) Actually my wife doesnt nag and I havent got kisd, but we do live across the stree from a very kid friendly park. I do a ski trip with the boys every February and the alcohol induced burping farting and snoring will be a perfect time to insert the fusions. As good as the RAHs are, they just wont cut it in this environment.
3. Xelento on the bike, in the gym and when I need a little situational awareness.

P1 & M3 officially for sale!

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #1,597 of 3,340
Well, i am also having a hard time with my RAH today. For some reason they started to sound unbalanced... as in the left side being louder than the other.

Did some testing without tips, and there is indeed a difference of 1-2.5 dB, depending on the frequency. Swapped cables, still the same.

Tried with the Zeniths, there it is even worse. About 3 dB more on the left side (Not sure how I never really noticed it). Atens are the exception and about the same on both sides.

Guess I will let them run during the night and see tomorrow if the problem will fix itself.

If you arr using your own cable, one of the 2 pins could be inserted in the opposite orientation to the other.

Make sure none of the modular bottoms or filterd are loose.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #1,598 of 3,340
If you arr using your own cable, one of the 2 pins could be inserted in the opposite orientation to the other.

Make sure none of the modular bottoms or filterd are loose.
I tried with both my own and the supplied cables. So i don't think they could be out of phase.

Did the testing multiple times with my microphone on the pc, without filters at all, so that's not the cause either.

I mean it's not a huge difference, I have had worse on other headphones... but still definitely noticable.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #1,599 of 3,340
I tried with both my own and the supplied cables. So i don't think they could be out of phase.

Did the testing multiple times with my microphone on the pc, without filters at all, so that's not the cause either.

I mean it's not a huge difference, I have had worse on other headphones... but still definitely noticable.
Which side is your wife sleeping at. It could be an ear damage from her snorting. My pregnant wife howl like titaninc all night. So i need about an hour in a morning for my left ear to start funtioning properly.

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #1,600 of 3,340
so @davidmolliere, did you get the RAH yet?

It was delivered at the office yes but I was working remote (with the demonstration, the strikes here in Paris, it's hell)... I'll get it when I arrive at the office this morning :D

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,602 of 3,340
Are you going to do a review for them? Really interested what you think about them in relation to what knowledge you already have.

Yes I will of course!
Might take a bit of time for a full review as my backlog is quite full right now though... but impressions will come shortly :)

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #1,604 of 3,340
And... the Rah's are in :)

Do they usually come only with the carry case or is there a box?

Image d’iOS (107).jpg

Image d’iOS (104).jpg

Image d’iOS (108).jpg

I am starting with black on blue but honestly I think I'll tone down the bass a bit and switch to gold/blue or even red/blue !

Maybe that's burn in required too...

Edit : Trying the red lower, interresting there is more of a sub bass focus so it doesn't only affect bass quantity.

I tried gold lower/blue upper but didn't like it too much felt the bass was messy. Maybe burn in again.
Switching back to black lower / blue upper during burn in but oh my I am not used to that bass quantity anymore :p

Attachments

• Image d’iOS (106).jpg
    Image d’iOS (106).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Image d’iOS (105).jpg
    Image d’iOS (105).jpg
    982.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back