IMR RAH - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #1,576 of 3,340
E-stats should add yet another extra special dimension. At least Bob has given himself a year to get the Semper ready.
Can't see him releasing it if it doesn't sound right. Delaying it a little may be better than getting it wrong.

Jan 9, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #1,577 of 3,340
Oh my it's out for delivery... :D

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #1,578 of 3,340
Also, Bob said it will be totl basshead iem.
He said it will definatelty be better then Rah.
By how much however? I dont think you cannot just meassure and accordingly price that. We percieve sound very differently from each other.

I just thought about it when I switched from wm1a to dx220. Just as an idea10% better better bass control, 20% better soundstage and seperation, 10% better detail would seem not massive difference. But added all together i personally get it as 40% improvement and dont want to go back to wm1a at all. And Sony is more expensive. Of course there is not only sound quality to consider, but for me that is a selling point.

Same will be with Semper. There will be diminishing returns. But those improvements will pe enough to shelve Rah for me. i know what i would like to hear different/improved in it, and there is space to improve for sure. There always is.

Another unlikely possibility is that Bob will miss the target and most will end up going back to Rah lol.
But the fact that Bob always allowed free returns gives me confidence in his ideas from financial point of view.

You provided an excellent example of how we perceive things differently.

I regretted replacing the Sony wm1a with the Ibasso dx220. For me although the Ibasso had more power than the Sony, it couldn't match it's smooth delivery of music, the Sony to my ears sounded more detailed with a more refined overall sound than the Ibasso.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #1,579 of 3,340
You provided an excellent example of how we perceive things differently.

I regretted replacing the Sony wm1a with the Ibasso dx220. For me although the Ibasso had more power than the Sony, it couldn't match it's smooth delivery of music, the Sony to my ears sounded more detailed with a more refined overall sound than the Ibasso.
Oh wow that is a surprise to me. Sony is good definately. But for me ibasso is just another level.
But then yes there is never a clear best of best in this industry is it. We just proved it.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #1,580 of 3,340
Oh wow that is a surprise to me. Sony is good definately. But for me ibasso is just another level.
But then yes there is never a clear best of best in this industry is it. We just proved it.

For me I think they are on a similar level in terms of the hierarchy of daps and their price points, both falling in that mid range when compared to the higher priced A+K offerings.

Don't get me wrong the Dx220 is a stunning player but I think I preferred the house sound of the Sony overall.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #1,581 of 3,340
E-stats should add yet another extra special dimension. At least Bob has given himself a year to get the Semper ready.
Can't see him releasing it if it doesn't sound right. Delaying it a little may be better than getting it wrong.
He also has halcyon as a lab rat to get a feel of e-stat.
I will actually put my fate in Bob for Semper. There were a lot of doubts about Rah too in other threads before it got released, mainly for not using crossovers. Hopefully doubts will be proven wrong yet again by IMR.

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #1,582 of 3,340
For me I think they are on a similar level in terms of the hierarchy of daps and their price points, both falling in that mid range when compared to the higher priced A+K offerings.

Don't get me wrong the Dx220 is a stunning player but I think I preferred the house sound of the Sony overall.
I did audition A+K sp1000 and sp2000. They are not worth the price. They are i think more similar to wm1a than dx220.
If a+k was priced in range of £1k then we could talk about them being better then sony or ibasso.
Just talking about SQ here. There are other factors determining price obviously, but for me they are not relevant that much to pay 2k extra.
Just my 2cents here though

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #1,583 of 3,340
I did audition A+K sp1000 and sp2000. They are not worth the price. They are i think more similar to wm1a than dx220.
If a+k was priced in range of £1k then we could talk about them being better then sony or ibasso.
Just talking about SQ here. There are other factors determining price obviously, but for me they are not relevant that much to pay 2k extra.
Just my 2cents here though

Can't disagree with you on that point.

I tried one of their players a few years ago and it was not worth twice the price of others at that time. Sounded good but not better than cheaper options.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #1,584 of 3,340

Keep in mind also your preferences and criteria will factor in greatly so unless you explicit those hard to have a discussion where a consensus will emerge...

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,585 of 3,340
Keep in mind also your preferences and criteria will factor in greatly so unless you explicit those hard to have a discussion where a consensus will emerge...
I definately agree. My preference is one of main reason i was surprsised that someone prefered sony over dx220. As ibasso hit my g spot for sure. That soundstage and seperation is just dizzying. Wm1a is good but nowhere near that level the way i hear it. That. Is why i really was gobsmacked. But maybe i overrate soundstage so much.
Also macro detail is superior, but this comes with price - Its mastering/record picky. So this is probably a thing going down to preference again.
Of course there is the rest of set up that affects final sound. Tips, filter set up, music genre.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,586 of 3,340
So I have been bummed about treble but I took out my dragonfly red- which I think makes a lot of treble hot, and with a lint of upping treble on iAudioGate out of my iPhone, I am now in love. This bass is so powerful. Soundstage is great. Now treble is coming in. Not exactly sparkly but I can’t complain. And I’ve found a use for my dfr which has been locked up since the cobalt came out. I do think I’m in love now. Listening to iliketrains and it’s coming in from all corners.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,587 of 3,340
Today was a very frustrating day with the RAH... Spent the last days on my Shuoer Tape due to their better isolation and switching to the RAH the bass was just unbearable, couldn't believe my ears that I ever enjoyed it as much as I did over the last weeks...

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #1,588 of 3,340
Today was a very frustrating day with the RAH... Spent the last days on my Shuoer Tape due to their better isolation and switching to the RAH the bass was just unbearable, couldn't believe my ears that I ever enjoyed it as much as I did over the last weeks...

Why don't you just scale down the lower nozzle?

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #1,589 of 3,340

Put on Pink lower/gold tops, then burn in for at least 160 hours + Bass is perfectly balanced. The Tapes are great for elec details but the bass is only really in the sub bass region
The Rah's are the real McCoy - The Tapes are an interesting beginning IEM Elec experiment that give great details..but that is about it :/

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,590 of 3,340
Well, i am also having a hard time with my RAH today. For some reason they started to sound unbalanced... as in the left side being louder than the other.

Did some testing without tips, and there is indeed a difference of 1-2.5 dB, depending on the frequency. Swapped cables, still the same.

Tried with the Zeniths, there it is even worse. About 3 dB more on the left side (Not sure how I never really noticed it). Atens are the exception and about the same on both sides.

Guess I will let them run during the night and see tomorrow if the problem will fix itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back