IMR R2 Aten Thread
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #917 of 1,305
Nice review. Since August, after spending a lot of time with trying different setups I also settled down with black/blue.
Yes that combo brings out the best in the Aten for me. Sure you can tone it down, but I don’t think a sound this big needs any toning down (plenty of better IEMs out there if you have more gentle sensibilities). 0.02/YMMV.

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #920 of 1,305
He did, review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/imr-acoustics-r2-aten.24011/reviews#review-22824.

TLDR here:
"For example, while previous reviewers of the Zenith (and more recently the Aten) have tended to pick the red or purple/pink filters for bass, I feel that not only is the amount of bass with the black filter not excessive, but is also of higher quality than the other options. Likewise, all the new treble nozzles bar blue use dampening to attenuate both the highs and mids, and as Bob himself suggested, using the blue nozzle – which lets the sound through unaltered – also presents the Aten in its purest form. So, try the different options (and wonder, like I did, why anyone would voluntarily use the oddly-tuned gold filters), but I guarantee you that spending some time with the original black/black or black/blue combinations will ultimately win you over because they maximise the strengths of the design."

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #921 of 1,305
He did, review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/imr-acoustics-r2-aten.24011/reviews#review-22824.

TLDR here:
"For example, while previous reviewers of the Zenith (and more recently the Aten) have tended to pick the red or purple/pink filters for bass, I feel that not only is the amount of bass with the black filter not excessive, but is also of higher quality than the other options. Likewise, all the new treble nozzles bar blue use dampening to attenuate both the highs and mids, and as Bob himself suggested, using the blue nozzle – which lets the sound through unaltered – also presents the Aten in its purest form. So, try the different options (and wonder, like I did, why anyone would voluntarily use the oddly-tuned gold filters), but I guarantee you that spending some time with the original black/black or black/blue combinations will ultimately win you over because they maximise the strengths of the design."
Couldn't have said it better myself! :sunglasses:

Oct 30, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #922 of 1,305
I also add myself to the discussion on filters to confirm what has been said so far from you. In fact, I also use the blue filter because I think it is better to let the IEM express itself natively and, possibly, prefer to touch the equalizer.
But what is not clear to me is the low black filter. According to the table this should allow for more bass. Instead I find that the bass is more present with the red filter. I also exclude the gold because they seem to me low muffled with loss of details even in the medium-low and medium.
so, for now, my configuration is red + blue

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #923 of 1,305
I also add myself to the discussion on filters to confirm what has been said so far from you. In fact, I also use the blue filter because I think it is better to let the IEM express itself natively and, possibly, prefer to touch the equalizer.
But what is not clear to me is the low black filter. According to the table this should allow for more bass. Instead I find that the bass is more present with the red filter. I also exclude the gold because they seem to me low muffled with loss of details even in the medium-low and medium.
so, for now, my configuration is red + blue
Yes, completely agree. What you’re hearing is the difference between linear bass (black filter) and midbass emphasis (red filter). The black filter brings out more of the sub bass and rumble without bleeding into the mids. The red filter is your typical thick ‘bassy’ sound that colours everything with bass, but has less rumble and sounds less resolving.

If you want an analogy, the black filter is more similar to the HD600 bass tuning, while the red filter is more HD650 (warmer and thicker with less sub bass) - although the Aten has more and better quality bass than both the Senns IMO! So my advice, stick to the black filter and forget what the chart says.

Definitely don’t go for gold (horrible lo-fi sound), and pink and below misses the whole point of what the Aten can do (and honestly if you don’t like bass, I’m not sure why you’re buying an Aten).

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #924 of 1,305
[QUOTE = "gLer, post: 15276994, membro: 474900"] ...... e il rosa e sotto manca il punto su ciò che l'Aten può fare (e onestamente se non ti piacciono i bassi, non sono sicuri del motivo per cui stai acquistando un Aten). [/ PREVENTIVO]
: pollice su:: pollice su:: pollice su:

Oct 30, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #925 of 1,305
I was a bit surprised reading about the black / blue filter comments - I didn't really get on with them OOTB so . . .I went back to Black and Blue tonight and yes, the quality of the low end is exceptional...butttt
I found the way some the frequencies hit became fatiguing after a while and although I thought the over all presentation was stunning, I couldn't really relax deeply INTO the music because the freqs. where just a bit too aggressive :/
(This is with my personal set up though - Other DAPS/setups are different)
I appreciate the points people made in regards to the bass with those filters but I wanted to share that I have been finding lately that [with the iBasso DX200] specifically - using the pink bottom and gold tops has a truly magical 3D holographic imaging and placement. Almost mystical and fairy like. Quite unique
The balance of everything is amazing as well. Sometimes the low end hits big and hard but other times it is remarkably respectful of the mids and highs
Anyway...a unique and very trippy Holo sound. (Glad I don't take mushrooms any more!!) :D

I would add that if you JUST buy the Atens for the bass then you may well miss just what these amazing IEMS can offer In other areas !

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #926 of 1,305
I was a bit surprised reading about the black / blue filter comments - I didn't really get on with them OOTB so . . .I went back to Black and Blue tonight and yes, the quality of the low end is exceptional...butttt
I found the way some the frequencies hit became fatiguing after a while and although I thought the over all presentation was stunning, I couldn't really relax deeply INTO the music because the freqs. where just a bit too aggressive :/
(This is with my personal set up though - Other DAPS/setups are different)
I appreciate the points people made in regards to the bass with those filters but I wanted to share that I have been finding lately that [with the iBasso DX200] specifically - using the pink bottom and gold tops has a truly magical 3D holographic imaging and placement. Almost mystical and fairy like. Quite unique
The balance of everything is amazing as well. Sometimes the low end hits big and hard but other times it is remarkably respectful of the mids and highs
Anyway...a unique and very trippy Holo sound. (Glad I don't take mushrooms any more!!) :D

I would add that if you JUST buy the Atens for the bass then you may well miss just what these amazing IEMS can offer In other areas !
This is going to sound really silly unless you read the following VERY carefully.

While they are exceedingly different in almost every way possible, the pink/ gold combo, according to Crin's measurements, have a very similar FR to Campfire Andromedas.

Again, go back and read that VERY carefully :sweat_smile:

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #927 of 1,305
:) They are VERY versatile presenting at times an almost completely different sound depending on filters, tips, cables, DAP used
Its a real credit to them that we can enjoy very different filters and still consider them TOTL ! o_0
Only 1 month away from the Rah's !
I couldn't be happier with my Aten's and their / my current set up now, - so to appreciate that Bob finds the Rah's to be essentially better in every way is...frightening !

Oh! I meant to add - In regards to the Bass - There 'may' be a slight reduction 'quality' comparing the Black to pink filters But I find the Mid bass to be exceptional. Acoustic bass lines are so perfect with pink/gold :)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #928 of 1,305
:) They are VERY versatile presenting at times an almost completely different sound depending on filters, tips, cables, DAP used
Its a real credit to them that we can enjoy very different filters and still consider them TOTL ! o_0
Only 1 month away from the Rah's !
I couldn't be happier with my Aten's and their / my current set up now, - so to appreciate that Bob finds the Rah's to be essentially better in every way is...frightening !

Oh! I meant to add - In regards to the Bass - There 'may' be a slight reduction 'quality' comparing the Black to pink filters But I find the Mid bass to be exceptional. Acoustic bass lines are so perfect with pink/gold :)
I guess I’m more a fan of linear bass with a sub bass emphasis and flat midbass, hence my preference for the black filters.

As for TOTL, look, I love the Aten, it’s currently my daily driver, but I’m not going to pretend it’s the best thing since sliced bread, nor is it anywhere near TOTL quality. Bass maybe, but overall it’s a very, very good sounding (and very versatile) IEM in the ‘affordable’ hi-fi bracket.

Put it this way, it’s not challenging the TOTL 64Audio or Empire Ears IEMs anytime soon, and I doubt Bob would claim otherwise if you ask him. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #929 of 1,305
While they are exceedingly different in almost every way possible, the pink/ gold combo, according to Crin's measurements, have a very similar FR to Campfire Andromedas.
Which goes to show the folly of reading anything into FR graphs, especially with IEMs!

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #930 of 1,305
Put it this way, it’s not challenging the TOTL 64Audio or Empire Ears IEMs anytime soon, and I doubt Bob would claim otherwise if you ask him. :wink:

Perhaps better to say TOTL 'sounding' FOR 99% of normal people! :)
Im sorry but the prices of the 64Audio & Empire ears are just ridiculous - worth it for their sound? Maybe....but the stupidly high prices put them out of reach of many
I hope Bob surpasses them in terms of quality with the Rah and for the price - pisses all over the arrogance of those who have created a world where some people find it acceptable to charge such prices....Again, Im not denying their quality. more the greed
Anyway, sorry and TBH If had $3000 just floating around to hand I would probably buy some 64 ears :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back