IMR R2 Aten Thread
Oct 11, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #886 of 1,305
I did some tests with filters.
For my taste, undoubtedly the low tuning is the gold filter. This reduces the amount of bass a little but significantly improves the quality. With the gold filter you get a more full-bodied bass, with an almost sub-extension.
The filters for the highs I prefer are certainly the blue, those that filter less than all the atria and let the medium and high frequencies pass without modifying them.
So, for the moment, the best pair for me is gold, blue highs.
Am I correct in saying the gold lower filter, unlike the others, actually has damping inside? Mine does. It also sounds very thick and mid-bassy compared to the black lower, which is meant to have more bass but to my ears definitely doesn’t.

1D125A61-E372-478C-92ED-F611594B833A.jpeg
DFF252E3-7FA2-48CF-8A08-D79B7A2EA4DA.jpeg

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #887 of 1,305
THEY ARE COMPLETELY IN AGREEMENT WITH YOU

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #888 of 1,305
Am I correct in saying the gold lower filter, unlike the others, actually has damping inside? Mine does. It also sounds very thick and mid-bassy compared to the black lower, which is meant to have more bass but to my ears definitely doesn’t.

Yes, you are correct. The gold is more diffuse than the black as well, more analog

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #889 of 1,305
Yes, you are correct. The gold is more diffuse than the black as well, more analog
Only if your definition of analogue is 'stuffed sock in the ear' :p It's big, bloomy and loses so much detail in the mids and lower bass it's almost lo-fi. The Aten is so much more capable, as a switch back to the black bottom filter quickly illustrates. I was just confused because @Ninosan suggested the Gold filter has 'less bass with better quality' than the black filter, which is just so way different to what I'm hearing it's as if we're talking two different IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #890 of 1,305
Only if your definition of analogue is 'stuffed sock in the ear' :p It's big, bloomy and loses so much detail in the mids and lower bass it's almost lo-fi. The Aten is so much more capable, as a switch back to the black bottom filter quickly illustrates.
It reminds me of my parents' old tube record player. That's some nostalgia tripping for me, but might not work for you.:)

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #891 of 1,305
It reminds me of my parents' old tube record player. That's some nostalgia tripping for me, but might not work for you.:)
So then 'lo-fi' is an apt description for it. Just glad my ears aren't shot! For me it's fun for a while, certainly neutralises poor or sharp recordings, but then I realise I'm missing half the information in the track and have to switch back.

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #892 of 1,305
maybe I expressed myself badly or maybe the translation is not exact.
I wanted to say that with low gold the low frequencies take shape and, with the music I listen to, I like them better.
However, it is true that some details are lost. When you put any filter between the driver and the ear, some information is inevitably lost.
This applies to the low gold filter and all high filters (except blue).
I still did other tests with filters and now I'm more confused than before.
It is very annoying to remove the tires, unscrew the filters, reassemble other filters, refit the tires, which I do not even know how my name is in the end :)
At the moment I have changed my mind and prefer to use a low filter that is not gold and the high blue filter because it is a non filter. Then I prefer to play it on the grommets that I currently use in foam that guarantee a better result on my ears.

Oct 14, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #893 of 1,305
I wanted to say that with low gold the low frequencies take shape and, with the music I listen to, I like them better.
However, it is true that some details are lost. When you put any filter between the driver and the ear, some information is inevitably lost.
It is very annoying to remove the tires, unscrew the filters, reassemble other filters, refit the tires, which I do not even know how my name is in the end :)
At the moment I have changed my mind and prefer to use a low filter that is not gold and the high blue filter because it is a non filter. Then I prefer to play it on the grommets that I currently use in foam that guarantee a better result on my ears.
I tend to agree with you here. Lots of choice is great initially, but you don't want to start switching and swapping filters. Ultimately you want to settle on a combination that works for you for most of your music, maximises the potential of the Aten, and lets you just focus on the music. I've never been one to use more than one device (dap/amp/dac) and maybe a couple of headphones at most for a flavour switch, but that's it. Too much choice is detrimental to my personal experience. 0.02 + tax :)

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #894 of 1,305
Buongiorno, hai provato le combinazioni rosso-verde o rosso-rosso? La prima é un po' piú frizzante sugli alti però é leggermente piú "sibilante"; la rosso-rosso invece é piú calma ed attualmente é quella che mi soddisfa di piú. Quando ascolto cose registrate come si deve il suono dei piatti e della batteria in generale é molto molto reale, le voci sono buone ed il basso é pulito ed articolato. Aspetto il Rah, se tanto mi da tanto.....

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #895 of 1,305
Buongiorno, hai provato le combinazioni rosso-verde o rosso-rosso? La prima é un po' piú frizzante sugli alti però é leggermente piú "sibilante"; la rosso-rosso invece é piú calma ed attualmente é quella che mi soddisfa di piú. Quando ascolto cose registrate come si deve il suono dei piatti e della batteria in generale é molto molto reale, le voci sono buone ed il basso é pulito ed articolato. Aspetto il Rah, se tanto mi da tanto.....
]

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #896 of 1,305
at the momentum I am using green - blue. On low, I like green more. Blue because it has no filters and I prefer to work on EQ.
In any case when I have some time I try your suggestions. But I don't want to spend time just changing filters, I would also like to listen to some music :ksc75smile:
P.S. scusa se rispondo in inglese ma credo che qui tutti dovrebbero capire, nonostante il mio inglese faccia penare.

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #897 of 1,305
at the momentum I am using green - blue. On low, I like green more. Blue because it has no filters and I prefer to work on EQ.
In any case when I have some time I try your suggestions. But I don't want to spend time just changing filters, I would also like to listen to some music :ksc75smile:
P.S. scusa se rispondo in inglese ma credo che qui tutti dovrebbero capire, nonostante il mio inglese faccia penare.
I agree with you, listening to good music is surely better than changing filters. Me too have tested only three combinations and stayed on red-red. I have a lot of songs in my DAP and time is never enough for listen to them.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #898 of 1,305
Has anyone tried to close the back? I'm thinking of doing a test by closing the back with neoprene or adhesive felt. I noticed that tapping with the fingers the bass increases a lot but inevitably I also put pressure on the earpiece and change the acoustics.

Oct 17, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #899 of 1,305
Well the presentation of these when you first get them is incredible, I love the case and the layout. I went ahead and put the red-red filters on and am quite impressed so far, now to let them burn-in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back