IMR R2 Aten Thread
Oct 5, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #871 of 1,305
Give the pink filter and gold tip a shot :)
. Pink is where it's at for a sort-of balanced presentation on the Aten.
Ive only owned/been burning in my Aten R2's for around 30 hours but I would have to agree with Mr. W Poet here - I personally find the pink filter/gold top to be sublime and have no particular desire to look for other combo's
I think the pink/gold set up is the favourite house that whatever magical imps or fairies whisper such magic into my ears, prefer to live in.

I wasn't planning on buying the Aten But....having been locked into a state of blissful R1 Zenith musical 'end game' type delights, and having received an email offering a discount
And having read people's comments about the Aten being 'better' than the R1 well, what was I to do ? :/
Got to say I feel genuinely privileged to own both the Zenith and the Aten.
One thing I have noticed is how different DAP's bring marked different sound signatures.
On an older DX80 I find a wonderfully balanced smooth experience but on the Dx200 there is so much more holographic depth, details etc etc.
Anyway, better shut up before I start ranting but thanks to all the comments here and if anyone would like to buy one of my livers to pay for all this
I would happily sell you one :D

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #872 of 1,305
Nice post. But about that liver, how would you describe your drinking habits? I'd need to know, are you a light social jazz & RnBer, a classical abstainer or a raging heavy metal guy?

On another note I too was tempted by the latest offer but having just bought the Cupids and a new set of Xelentos to fill the gap until the RAH's arrive I had to give it a miss.

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #873 of 1,305
I already own the R1 and R1Z and with the current discount I'm thinking about getting the R2 ... just one question: how much of an upgrade are the R2 over the Zeniths when it comes to stage depth and layering?
(I've tried everything possible to solve this issue with the Zeniths but still some of my cheap @ss chi-fis literally run in circles around the R1Z in that department, dang ...)

Thanks in advance!

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #874 of 1,305
I already own the R1 and R1Z and with the current discount I'm thinking about getting the R2 ... just one question: how much of an upgrade are the R2 over the Zeniths when it comes to stage depth and layering?
(I've tried everything possible to solve this issue with the Zeniths but still some of my cheap @ss chi-fis literally run in circles around the R1Z in that department, dang ...)

Thanks in advance!
Aten is a proper upgrade over the Zenith in every department, including stage depth. Zenith has a paper flat stage depth so almost anything is an improvement in that regard. I wouldn’t say Aten is the deepest IEM I’ve heard - the FiiO FH7 has more depth and layering, and of course you can’t compare it to multi-BA and hybrids that use those multiple drivers to create a real sense of depth, but Aten is still very good in that regard. For the discounted price you’re not going to do much better. Hope that helps.

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #876 of 1,305
Nice post. But about that liver, how would you describe your drinking habits? I'd need to know, are you a light social jazz & RnBer, a classical abstainer or a raging heavy metal guy?
On another note I too was tempted by the latest offer but having just bought the Cupids and a new set of Xelentos to fill the gap until the RAH's arrive I had to give it a miss.

i dont drink or smoke or anything like that butttt I knackered my body caning it when I was a youth :) I didn't know then that my body was knackered even before I started partying ! Ho hum, such is life.
From what Bob is saying though I don't think you are going to miss out by skipping the Atens and going to the RAH's

Oct 10, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #877 of 1,305
I just received the Aten :)
I could not resist and I immediately did a listening test with Fiio M11. The mounted filters were black + black. Foam rubber.
The first impresisone is very positive.
Sound clean, bass well present even if not at the level of a basshead, right mids, very defined and well present highs.
The spectrum is wide but I expected more from how I read.
Obviously you have to wait for them to play for a while, you need to understand which filters are best suited to me.
I was a little disappointed that the connectors do not have the side (L or R) and it is easy to exchange them.
I would also have liked a guide on the use of nozzles and dampers.
The first ones all look the same, except the golden one. They are empty and of the same diameter. I don't understand how they can change the sound.
The dampers contain filters inside them.
The diagram published on their site to what it refers to, whether to the nozzles or to the dampers, is not clear to me.
Take my English away, maybe some things are not clear.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #879 of 1,305
thank you very much, I had not noticed the holes on the side :beerchug:.
Thanks also for the clarification of the chart. I imagine the graph also refers to lower filters based on color.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #881 of 1,305
: Clap:: Clap:: Clap:

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #882 of 1,305
I did some tests with filters.
For my taste, undoubtedly the low tuning is the gold filter. This reduces the amount of bass a little but significantly improves the quality. With the gold filter you get a more full-bodied bass, with an almost sub-extension.
The filters for the highs I prefer are certainly the blue, those that filter less than all the atria and let the medium and high frequencies pass without modifying them.
So, for the moment, the best pair for me is gold, blue highs.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #883 of 1,305
I did some tests with filters.
For my taste, undoubtedly the low tuning is the gold filter. This reduces the amount of bass a little but significantly improves the quality. With the gold filter you get a more full-bodied bass, with an almost sub-extension.
The filters for the highs I prefer are certainly the blue, those that filter less than all the atria and let the medium and high frequencies pass without modifying them.
So, for the moment, the best pair for me is gold, blue highs.
I've used the same combination since I received mine; tried a few other combos, but I seem to end up back at this one. Definitely my favorite.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #884 of 1,305
Try bottom red and up green

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #885 of 1,305

Users who are viewing this thread

Back